What's it like in Aft rooms

Thinking about changing from the middle to a corner in the Aft ocean view on the 2nd floor. What is like riding in the back of the ship.

I like the middle because it's close to everything. It seems like a good opportunity for views. And a little bit more space.

On the Westerdam in a SC Stateroom in the middle of my aft deck, I enjoyed it. With these caveats:

Soot from the funnels was an ongoing issue and the seat pads needed to be put inside when not being used. This was not severe, but it was a "different" experience having a veranda. The Cabin Steward did his best to keep everything clean. But, as a guest, I needed to be "aware".

Ride was good, but depending upon the wind/wave direction hitting the stern, an odd cork-screw motion was noticed at time. HAL's Captain Albert in his Blog has explained that this is normal and not unusual. Not really bothersome to me, but, it was "different" than anything that I have experienced before.

View from the veranda: WONDERFUL! Best place on the ship to view the beautiful night sky on a clear evening.

I'd book such a location again if the opportunity arose.

It's true there can be some odd sensations at the very back of the ship...it bothers me, but some like it.

Generally, the balconies are much larger than those on the side of the ship, but for the 2 of us, a side balcony is usually ample!

Love the aft wraps. You can see for what seems like eons with no ship in view. I never really felt anything that different in one than a cabin midships. I agree that the walk is a bit long, but I like having it so I can hope my deserts can be walked off. LOL

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Only done 2 cruises on Carnival ships - both times in aft rooms. They were perfect as the first time, the room was RIGHT near the elevators. Serenity (21+ only area) was aft, and our dining room was aft... the second time, my room was at the very end of the hall, in the middle, right by the stairs that led to Serenity. And again, dining was aft so I still never had to go far.

Unless I really wanted to, which I often did just to explore the ship ;)

I like it, but of course I haven't experienced anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any problem with diesel fumes on the aft balconies?

Thank you

Heather

Aboard the Westerdam, no problems with diesel fumes, but soot was an issue. My Cabin Steward, daily, wiped off all of the furniture on the veranda. But, during the day, more soot--not a lot, but some--would collect. I used a towel to wipe what I was going to use and always kept the seating pads inside the sliding door until I was ready to use them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Planning Alaskan Cruise in August for 30th anniversary. This will only be my 3rd; my husband’s first! Which cruise line do you recommend that offers gluten free options. It was suggested to only go one way, not round trip. Only looking for 7 day as we have to travel from east coast to get there. It’s all mind boggling! Help!

On the Westerdam in a SC Stateroom in the middle of my aft deck, I enjoyed it. With these caveats:

Soot from the funnels was an ongoing issue and the seat pads needed to be put inside when not being used. This was not severe, but it was a "different" experience having a veranda. The Cabin Steward did his best to keep everything clean. But, as a guest, I needed to be "aware".

Ride was good, but depending upon the wind/wave direction hitting the stern, an odd cork-screw motion was noticed at time. HAL's Captain Albert in his Blog has explained that this is normal and not unusual. Not really bothersome to me, but, it was "different" than anything that I have experienced before.

View from the veranda: WONDERFUL! Best place on the ship to view the beautiful night sky on a clear evening.

I'd book such a location again if the opportunity arose.

suzeqt26,

Since you quoted a post that I made on this thread, I will respond even though I cannot help you.. I have no knowledge about which you are asking. Please note that what you wish to know about gluten free options has no bearing on the topic of this thread which pertains to aft staterooms.

Seeing that you are new to Cruise Critic, welcome! May I suggest that you start a new thread that specifically addresses your interest in learning about gluten free options. You will be more successful in obtaining answers and suggestions than on this thread.

Cruise Critic also has an Alaska Message Board that ought to provide you with information. For specific questions as about a 7 day one way or a 7 day back to back cruise, such as Vancouver to Seward and return or Vancouver to Whittier and return, that would be the Message Board to post your questions.

Again, Welcome! And, don't feel overwhelmed! Take your time and digest the information that Cruise Critic posters provide. Just keep in mind that each poster has their own likes/dislikes and opinions. Your experience and opinions may differ from those who make posts.