Abu Dhabi or Dubai pre cruise

sddsddean

Better really varies by person.

For me it would be Abi Dhabi because I find there is more to do that is educational and cultural.

Dubai may have more then we have seen and I am sure some of the locals can chime in.

Whatever you decide have a great visit and cruise.

Keith

Our cruise in April leaves from Abu Dhabi and does not stop in Dubai. We are spending 4 nights pre-cruise in Abu Dhabi, which allows us 3 full touring days before the cruise. From what I have seen, one day in Dubai, should be more than enough for us. I just want to see the place, since like Keith said, there doesn't appear to be much to see with cultural significance. Abu Dhabi has the Sheikh Zayed Mosque and the new Louvre, just opened this past week. Those two attractions alone require more time in Abu Dhabi to us. Also, the hotels appear to be more reasonably priced in Abu Dhabi, which when spending 4 nights there is important.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent precruise week in Dubai and postcruise week in Abu Dhabi. Flew in and out of Dubai (DBX). (flew to Singapore to catch Insignia and then disembarked in Abu Dhabi). The ride from Abu Dhabi to DBX (well the Holiday Inn Express at airport). took less than 2 hours -- had a lady driver from India who was quiet but nice. No problem, really easy. Arranged through hotel desk (wanted a van for 3 people's luggage). There is a bus that goes from Dubai to Abu Dhabi and Abu Dhabi to Dubai. Not sure of the scheduling or the cost but it seemed to me that it was included in the price of air fare. Check it out because I don't remember exactly and that set of notes is gone. Emirates and Etihad both have limo service included for BC and FC fares -- some classes of tickets the limo will take you to Abu Dhabi . Read the airline page maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

We have just come back from Dubai.

The car ride between downtown Dubai and the Louvre in Abu Dhabi and back was 600 dirham after negotiation with the suited guy waiting outside our hotel for people like us. He wanted 700 dirham. The driver was happy with the 600. It was a better car than the ordinary taxis we used. Those would have been cheaper. Taxis were waiting outside the Louvre and they are slightly cheaper than Dubai taxis. Taxi fares are standardized in both Emirates.

Abu Dhabi has two sights we were interested in, the Zhayed mosque and the Louvre. You could see them the same day if you do an evening visit of the mosque. It is magically lit.

Dubai has more sights although they are more commercial. The Burj Khalifa and the Dubai Mall with the dancing fountains at night, the Mall of the Emirates with the ski area, and the Ibn Battuta Mall with its sections representing the different countries that Ibn Battuta had visited. The three malls can be easily visited via the sky rail. We took the hop on hop off bus one day. I recommend also taking the included boat ride through the Marina.

On a third day, we booked a boat tour of the Palm through our cruise ship. We also walked through the gold and spice souks in the Deira district. The vendors there tend to be forceful but less so than in other parts of the world.

According to participants in the TripAdvisor Emirates forum, the taxi trip between the two cities is about 70 minutes and costs about 250 dirham, but you should read it yourself. My memory may be hazy.

A pre-booked hotel limo transfer to Abu Dhabi was 350 AED two weeks ago

We paid 600 from the Sofitel downtown Dubai to the Louvre in Abu Dhabi and back. We negotiated it down from 700 - a week ago. It looks like 350 is the price one way, 300 seems acceptable because the driver has a paid ride back for another 300. The car was a limousine not a marked taxi. The driver spoke comprehensible English and could point out some sights on the way when we asked.

A taxi may be cheaper, but I got almost sick on the short ride from the Dubai hotel to the Dubai cruise in the back of an old taxi. That driver offered a 300 dirham tour of Dubai on which we did not take him up.

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to stay in Abu Dhabi, I recommend the InterContinental Hotel. Good facilities (though older) with a good set of restaurants. Resorts and hotels being large probably won’t be able to walk around to restaurants “on the street”For the 2nd time this year decided to do the inclusive rate with IC includes breakfast lunch dinner in their 9 restaurants. We figured cost wise fair no transportation cost (walk) restaurants very nice and buffet outstanding in variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

300 to 350 AED for one way by metered taxi is about right.

If you want to see the spectacular (And inexpensive) new Louvre, Ferrari World and such, including the huge Yas Mall, i would suggest booking into any one of the hotels on Yas Island. The Viceroy is quite awesome, but others such as the Radisson Blue or Rotana Yas Island are lovely as well.

If you want a million dollar view of the Grand Mosque, stay at the luxurious Shangri La. Taxi between Yas and the mosque is around 40 to 50 AED.

If falcons rock your boat, the famous falcon hospital is a 50 to 60 AED taxi ride from YAS.

Downtown Abu Dhabi isn't particularly interesting or charming.