Medical insurance for Canadian?

Smyles

Anyone know the name of companies that offer medical insurance (including the medical evacuation) for Canadians?

I am fed up with trying to read the fine print to see if they cover this. All the company policies that I have read seem NOT to cover the medical evacuation from ship to hospital (they are sneaky about it though, they list air ambulance but then in fine print they note "from hospital to hospital" which I assume means not from cruise ship to hospital. I find endless pages of info about covering lunch for family at the hospital bed side and little to no info about IF they will pay to get us there. My favorite was the paragraph about replacing sunglasses after an accident. I'll pay for my own sunglasses just cover me for a medical evacuation!!

The one company I did find that covers it won't cover us as we are Canadian (was only for US citizens - sigh).

We do NOT want trip insurance, we know the costs of our trip and will suffer the loss if it gets cancelled but we do need to be covered for medical since that is an unknown, expensive expense that may come up.

We travel in a week so I kind of need to book this asap!!

I believe that most air evacs off of cruise ships are handled by local coast guard/ military.(please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

when we cruise we have our national blue cross coverage and just for added peace of mind we usually purchase an additional policy from caa

I know CIBC and probably some of the other banks offer travel insurance, a friend gets it from CIBC and she cruises. Whether it includes the ship to shore emergency transfer, I'm not 100% sure as I'm covered by my work insurance and credit card, but I know she's purchased it.

Thanks. The CAA policy doesn't seem to mention covering it. Neither do the bank policies that I have looked at. I think I will start calling to speak to people to clarify, though I'd really prefer to see it in writing over a verbal confirmation.

Smyles, I feel your frustration too!! We are cruising the Galapagos with a pre-cruise stay in the Amazon in April and have been trying to find adequate evacuation insurance. I went to our local CAA office and they weren't positive about the Evacuation coverage because it is not listed in the brochure and told me to call the official provider TUGO. TUGO was also very vague, all the agent kept saying is "you need to call us for pre-approval of any evacuation"..... I have called many other providers and they either don't cover it or the maximum is $25000.00 which I'm afraid may not be high enough. If you find out any more information or a company name, please let me know by post or PM. Thanks