Travel Insured International

rkacruiser

Does anyone have any experience with this Company?

Yes.

We are - unfortunately - satisfied customers of Travel Insured.

I write "unfortunately" because being satisfied means that we had serious travel disruptions and thus needed to file claims.

However, given that we did have the difficulties, at least Travel Insured paid precisely what we expected them to pay (and two claims were relatively substantial), without any nonsense.

Some folks have complained about the documentation that is required. Obviously, the insurer needs to have adequate proof that the claim is valid, or there'd soon be massive "problems". We did not find any of the necessary documentation to be inappropriate. (There was one simple but, in our minds, bizarre request. We needed to provide "proof" that we had paid for the policy. Wouldn't they already have "proof" from when we made the payments and they issued the policy? It was simple to show the payments, but it just seemed odd... our payments would have exactly matched their receipts, right?)

Anyway, the first time we took out travel insurance, we had the biggest claim (to date, and we sure hope it stays that way!). This was to be our first major "pre-retirement trip" (DH doesn't want to retire :)) and a major birthday celebration. We splurged...

With less than 2 weeks until departure, DH had a medical emergency, and the entire trip was cancelled. The only "traveling" we did for quite some time was back and forth and back again for medical treatments/testing/etc. For a while, it seemed there might be a permanent disability, but thanks to some experimental treatments, that didn't happen. (Close call... not good!!)

About 2-3 years later, I landed in hospital overseas, and there were substantial costs because we had to stay put for almost a week, and a week planned elsewhere was... gone.

On that trip, we came close to calling MedJetAssist to "get me home" to my "own" hospital, but just about then, I turned the corner. We were able to continue the last week of the trip, although I mostly sat around enjoying scenery, and most "activities" were cancelled.

We'll definitely continue to purchase policies from Travel Insured, no question about it.

The only reason we might not is IF we miss the "window" for the critical waiver of exclusion for pre-existing conditions. Then, we'd switch to another company, but only in that situation, as long as TI offers the same type of policy that we've been getting.

We haven't had to contact them at the time of an emergency for help, although we were later sorry that we had not asked them for assistance that second time. That probably would have made things much easier at the time, but we were operating in "emergency mode", and the situation was getting much worse, fast, for a while. (We did have dear friends we were supposed to visit, but they came to where we were, and helped a LOT with translation, or we probably would have needed to contact TI or *someone*!)

We just hope that we don't need to deal with them too much in the future, for obvious reasons ;)

Let us know if you have any specific questions.

ETA: Contact http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com for comparisons of several policies from several insurers. (But do note that they do include policies from CSA, so ask about other insurers for your own peace of mind...)

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

• 3 weeks later...

We had a medical claim with them in 2016. Paid within 3 weeks, even when submitted over a holiday period. I had secondary coverage, so had to pay all bills and submit through our regular health insurance first. They required paid receipts and copies of EOBs showing our regular health insurance didn't cover it (we had not yet met deductible). They even covered the rental car we used to get from Port to hospital in Fort Lauderdale. Easy to work with and they answered all my questions.