Hotels in Vancouver, B.C that is close to the train station

^Agree - the only closer hotels to Pacific Central that actually deserve the designation 'hotel' are the Sandman, Georgia, YWCA Hotel which are basically all on the same block as the Hampton; the brand-new Marriott Parq is closer to walk to but further in a car due to one-way roads. Given your desire for a hotel close to the train I'm guessing you're arriving on the evening Amtrak - with how quiet the streets are then I'd be surprised if the meter even climbed over ~$7 to any of these, they're all about 1.1-1.3 miles driving, or about a mile on foot. The Best Western Uptown is also just over a mile, but away from downtown so you'd end up having to drive triple the distance to the pier in total (although if it's a bed for the night and costs $20 less per night or better, you'd save overall - though YWCA is hands-down your best cheap option unless they're already sold out).

Check Google maps (Pacific Central Station is where Amtrak arrives) to get oriented - but with the caveat that places on Main, or anywhere along Hastings east of Carral called 'hotel' are actually extremely low rent, literal fleapits like the Cobalt or at best budget party-hearty-youngster hostels like the American (which have party hosts to show residents around the local bar & club scene - NOT somewhere to get a relaxing night's kip!)

We are actually arriving from the cruise ship and taking the early am train, I would like a hotel with a shuttle to the train station but that might not be possible that early in the morning. I guess we could just take a cab.

Thank you for your help.

The Hampton has a shuttle that will drop you anywhere downtown - provided it's running that early of course. But I always recommend that a 'free' shuttle should never even be a factor when deciding on hotels in Vancouver due to our compact downtown - the 'free' part simply means your room rate is higher than a same-standard hotel without a shuttle, and at $10 or less from most downtown hotels the additional flexibility of a cab would be worth it anyway IMO.