Gratuities

lccruiser

I think the daily gratuitie for adults is $12.95 per day....... Do you pay the same amount for kids 6 and 10 years old?

it does not matter the age, it is the same for every PERSON. It is up to you if you want to pay for your children, but personally I would...They are still doing the same amount of work regardless of the age of the person, and sometimes with kids they are even more messy then adults so they work harder.

Guests of any age are going to be eating, sleeping, etc. so the staff has to attend to them too. I can see the question, because third and fourth guests are charged a lower fare, so it may make sense that the gratuities would be lower as well, but that's not how it works.

I think the daily gratuitie for adults is $12.95 per day....... Do you pay the same amount for kids 6 and 10 years old?

Per Canival's FAQs on their site:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/kw/gratuities

Our recommended guideline to what is appropriate is $12.95 USD per person, per day for guests in standard stateroom accommodations and $13.95 USD per person, per day for guests booked in suites.

You should tip regardless of age. A ship has a maximum capacity, and a 1 year old can take the place of a 21 year old. It's not fair to the crew to have reduced wages because of your child. Carnival does not require tips for under 2, but I sure as heck tipped for my toddler.

I took my 10 year old nephew on a cruise last year and he wanted to leave the cabin steward an extra $40 of his own money - he cleaned up after himself just fine but thought the cabin steward did a great job! I figure if a 10 year old can handle tipping extra, any adult can handle tipping the minimum for kids....

You should tip regardless of age. A ship has a maximum capacity, and a 1 year old can take the place of a 21 year old. It's not fair to the crew to have reduced wages because of your child. Carnival does not require tips for under 2, but I sure as heck tipped for my toddler.

Gratuities are not wages. They should be based on the amount of work they do for the passenger. Teenage boys should get double charged. They vacuum the floor once whether there is 1 person in cabin or 4. But 4 people use more towels and mess up more beds. So tip based on how much work you cause them. Average is $12.95 per day. That’s a starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Go get yourself a job as a waiter/waitress and then tell yourself that they are not wages.

Gratuities are adjustable wages based on the temperament of the person being served.

So do you think it should have nothing to do with the amount of service you receive?

I love how passionate this topic becomes. I always read the topic of gratuities regardless of the different cruise lines. The truth is the system is broken. The companies want as many people on the these mega ships with as little staff as possible. It’s a losing recipe as they allow people to remove the wages they pay the staff. The staff morale goes down as the tips are removed and in turn the product suffers. If the cruise lines want to make a difference make it part of the fare and bring back some services and pampering of the very people who are spending on the their vacations. Saying that people should have more money to pay gratuities because they have enough money to pay for the cruise is also wrong as people don’t always have money and are spread thin - so they book a cruise vacation because they may be cheaper.

In all the system is to blame - kudos to the people tip. But the people who do not lets remember they are doing nothing wrong because the system allows them to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh man, you're going to get roasted just for asking. Personally, I am with you. We give kids concessions for movie tickets and bus fare, so why not this?

Remember, tips are voluntary and you can have any amount removed that you feel is appropriate. Feel the need to remove the entire tip for your kids AND adults? Carnival gives you that option. Just go to the customer service counter on your cruise and have it removed. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, just conveying information that Carnival publishes on its own site.

Edited by FamilyOfSix
added additional comments.

I love how passionate this topic becomes. I always read the topic of gratuities regardless of the different cruise lines. The truth is the system is broken. The companies want as many people on the these mega ships with as little staff as possible. It’s a losing recipe as they allow people to remove the wages they pay the staff. The staff morale goes down as the tips are removed and in turn the product suffers. If the cruise lines want to make a difference make it part of the fare and bring back some services and pampering of the very people who are spending on the their vacations. Saying that people should have more money to pay gratuities because they have enough money to pay for the cruise is also wrong as people don’t always have money and are spread thin - so they book a cruise vacation because they may be cheaper.

In all the system is to blame - kudos to the people tip. But the people who do not lets remember they are doing nothing wrong because the system allows them to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well said. I agree 100%. It is the system's fault, and by "system" I mean cruise lines and the cruise industry. Why not simply charge $13 more per person per day and simply pass that on to the staff? Don't cruise lines care enough to give their employees a living wage? And yet it's somehow the passengers' fault they don't make a living wage? Of course people are going to opt out -- for whatever reason, some valid and some not. The cruise lines set the policies, not the passengers.

I would take it one step further - if everyone paid the gratuities I think the amount needed to cover the staff wages would be less. I think they are raising the amounts of the tips to cover what people don’t pay. There is a price point for everything but I assume more people cancel tips as the prices go up. The cruise lines just hope the amount they charge will be kept on by most people. The nickel and diming is what they are best at.

I have never been disappointed with the service on Carnival. That being said, My kids receive the same service as I do and therefore should reward it at the same rate. If the service is adequate I tip the guideline for each person (especially at the dining room where they are taking up a seat in that staffs area that would represent a full tip if deserved). If the service were sub-par I would look to remedy it, and if it did not rise to what I considered standard I would lower the rate. If the service is above and beyond, I try to reward that with additional cash. I consider the service part of my vacation from daily responsibility and budget to ensure that I can make sure they know I appreciate it.

Ships almost never sail at maximum capacity. If they are booked at or close to maximum (passengers & crew) Carnival will have some of the replacement crew that is scheduled to board for that cruise delay their entry on to that ship until the next cruise.

It's the cost of a cruise. I have it included when I book and don't look back. I do tip extra if our room steward does a great job. (Only once I'd didn't tip extra) things would have to be pretty bad for me to remove them.

Agree 100%.... and I do the same.