Crime in Rio

Phillygirl3

We are anticipating our Rio to Barcelona trip and although I have already posted a message about being concerned about theft and crime in Rio, I'm seeing some information that reinforces that concern. Looking at the Rio newspaper, today, online, it talks about robberies, petty thefts, stabbings, etc. I know that Carnival

is taking place which brings with it a massive amount of people which will tend to lend itself to this type of crime. But it, also, talks about gangs having shootouts in the streets of Rio where innocent passerbys often get hurt, as well as something called "trawlers." I tried looking this term up but, unfortunately, only come up with information on boats. I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but this kind of information makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have any words of wisdom, aside from "leave your jewelry in the hotel, don't walk with wallets in your pockets, etc. etc. It won't stop me from going, but reading about the violence, today, gave me pause to think. Yes, Philly fans after the SuperBowl win were crazy, but the rowdyness and violence were minimal.

We were in Rio in 2013 and didn't have any problem. We stayed across the street from Copacabana beach. We used public transportation (bus and subway) and walked a lot during the day, but we didn't stray too far from the hotel at night. My advice is be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on the people around you.

We'll be on the same cruise as you. We arrive on 2/22 and will be staying at the same hotel that we did in 2013, PortoBay Rio Internacional. Hope to see you at the Meet & Greet on the Mariner.

Thanks, Juno56, I must stop and remember all the warnings we got when we were advised not to visit Istanbul or Vietnam or Cambodia. Even in our beloved Rome, one woman in our group had her passport stolen and another had a necklace ripped from her neck, and it did not prevent us from returning. I hope that we get to meet.

Unlike Barcelona where you could have someone pour ketchup on you in order to pick your pocket, in Rio, your necklace will be ripped off of your neck — a shoulder bag could be sliced off and if your arm gets in the way, so be it! I am not overstating the danger - you can Google crime in Rio and you will learn the same things from locals.

The issues for a cruise starting in Rio is similar but not the same as for cruises endin in Rio. Regent recommends that you remove all jewelry - including wedding rings. Before you board the ship, there is the issue of where to put your rings, passport, etc. Rio is the only place in the world where I felt that it was important to have a leg pouch where I could put credit cards, passports, etc.

Rio is our least favorite city in the world, however, the beauty that is there is worth seeing (once). I highly recommend three things:

1. Do not put anything in your hotel safe as it is not safe!

2. If you want to see the sites, use a private guide.

3. Dine in your hotel or have a meal included in your tour. The reason for this is that you still have your jewelry and passports with you and have to be careful where you go.

My recommendations are different than when Rio is simply a port. Lastly, one of the nicest things that I heard in Rio is when a couple walked off of the ship (with jewelry on) and a kind local stopped them and suggested that they return to the ship - remove the jewelry and not walk in that area.

Just my humble opinion based on experience after, unfortunately, being in Rio three times!

Most thieves target the easy person, so don’t look like that person. As everyone mentioned remove all shiny jewelry and put on plain wood ethnic looking thing. No handbag. Stick a credit card in the bra or necklace money bag that goes under your clothing. Phones are bit harder - I wouldn’t carry one. Let hubby carry his. Use the map feature on his. If you bring a paper map, don’t be standing on a street corner looking at it. If lost duck into best looking hotel in the area and ask them for help.

My husband has pair of thieve resistance pants. The zippers on the front pockets zip down, not up. It is very difficult to zip them up unless you are the person wearing the pants. Pick up the local paper and carry it with you. I have never been to Rio, but I have been to lots of other dicey cities.

If you going in group, you still need to be very careful, everyone thinks since you are part of group that you aren’t a target. Guess what you are more of a target, because you feel safe with guide, you are trying to listen to them, looking at the site and you let your guard down.

Best piece that received from a guide in Naples, if a bunch of kids get near you start to kick them and scream. In most cases they just want your stuff and they will move to easier mark. Never accept help from anyone.

Don’t let the crime stop you from your trip.

Use private guides for all your sightseeing, preferably arranged by the concierge on your hotel. Also have them arrange private transportation to restaurants at night. It may cost a but more but worth it knowing you'll be safe. It's such a pity. I first went to Rio in the 90s and there was never a problem if you used common sense.

We'll be in Rio December, 2019 to board Regent's Mariner for Amazon cruise. We booked the pre-cruise three day tour with Regent. We have never been to Rio and want to see the city. I figured we should be safe traveling with Regent. We'll eat our meals at hotel and only travel as part of tour group to visit sights. Regent will transport us to ship. I'll follow all the suggestions of no jewelry, credit cards, purse as suggested. Am I being naive thinking that traveling with Regent tour, we'll be safe?

Forevertravel

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. Rio has an extremely high crime rate. Keeping your wits about you may not be enough. If you are attacked, it will be 100% for you.

We were in Rio twice in 1994, and had no trouble. However, since we have sailed on almost anything that floats. that trip was no exception. We were a total of eight passengers on Iveran Lines San Antonio, a brand new container ship making its Maiden Voyage. For 46 days, we sailed from Bayonne NJ, down to Rio and back. We visited Rio in a van driven by a crew member who knew the city well and also served as a guide. The highlight of the tour was Corcovado, literally. It is a bit of a challenge to reach, but worth it.

During our time in Rio, crime was rampant. We had local TV, and crew members got the papers. Not pretty stories. We drove close to a fevela, and it sure looked like a breeding ground for crime. It didn't help that the fevela faced a very luxurious gated high rise. Barcelona has its problems, but Rio is much more violent.

We have seen enough of South America. However, if we did take a cruise starting there, we would not plan an extended stay prior to our departure.

Mary

Edited by warburg
Changes, obviously. Why else would anyone edit a piece?

We'll be in Rio December, 2019 to board Regent's Mariner for Amazon cruise. We booked the pre-cruise three day tour with Regent. We have never been to Rio and want to see the city. I figured we should be safe traveling with Regent. We'll eat our meals at hotel and only travel as part of tour group to visit sights. Regent will transport us to ship. I'll follow all the suggestions of no jewelry, credit cards, purse as suggested. Am I being naive thinking that traveling with Regent tour, we'll be safe?

Forevertravel

We did Regent tours - didn't wear jewelry and didn't have a handbag. If there is nothing obvious to steal, you should be fine. What I think is naive is believing that Rio is like most other big cities in the world. Rio's pick pocketing isn't unique but the way they do it is. No "set-ups" (little kids or spilling ketchup on you) - they take what they want and don't mind injuring you in the process.

We have not felt as unsafe in other cities in Brazil except in Manaus during our recent visit, we were given the same instructions as when visiting Rio. And, crew members told stories of friends returning from a night out in Manaus being hurt on their way back to the ship.

Rio is truly beautiful but for us, one was enough (the other two "visits" were to embark and disembark the ship).

One other caution. We booked a private car from the airport. The driver met us, but said he would need another car for the luggage. DO NOT DO IT. We kept the luggage with us on our laps, however uncomfortable it was. They will think of every way to rip you off.

We spent 4 days in Rio in mid January. We stayed on the beach south of Leblon, and took a day tour on bikes through Copacabana, and hiked part of Sugar Mountain (both with a guide). At no time were we frightened or approached, except by other tourists who wanted to chat. We stayed out of community’s (favelas), and did not flash symbols of wealth. I enjoyed Rio immensely, and we are looking forward to a further 4 nights in the St Teresa area before boarding the Mariner on the 24th of Feb.

Just wanted to add that we took the public bus to Copacabana during the day ... no problems and a great view along the coast from Leblon. Our guide in Copacabana advised us to take a taxi back to our hotel, as it was after dark. We took her advice. So agree with previous poster, take reasonable precautions, and all will be well.

Just to add to my previous post. The kind local that suggested that the couple walking near the ship go back and remove jewelry -- this was during the day. Perhaps cruise ship passengers are targets?

Good to hear that two posters have not had incidents in Rio but unfortunately thousands of others have. A lot does have to do with what you are wearing and what you are looking at. We were in Barcelona (much safer than Rio) with a couple from the ship. We have never had a problem in Barcelona but our friends were only looking in the window of jewelry store and were approached.

Those of us that are strongly suggesting to be careful in Rio and to not wear jewelry, etc. are doing so for people that have not been to Rio. We give these warnings to help. Yes - things can be fine but don't count on it. In my opinion, you need more than "reasonable precautions".

BTW, the traffic is so horrendous in Rio that the transportation that you take from the airport to your hotel (of ship to airport) will be traveling so slowly that you'll get a great view of the beaches, favelas (aka slums), etc. They have cleaned things up in the past few years -- rather than having graffiti covering almost 100% of the buildings, the ones in the tourist area are pretty clean. And, during the Olympics, according to the New York Times 85,000 security officers were brought in to keep things safe.