Do both occupants in cabin have to purchase the same coverage?

sunsetbeachgal

I have a June cruise that I have had under deposit for quite awhile for my husband and I that I need to purchase insurance for. I currently have Princess cruise line platinum insurance on the reservation, and would like to leave it in place if possible for my husband.

I, on the other hand, find myself now needing to purchase insurance that covers pre existing conditions as I am at the end of a series of eight chemotherapy treatments this month. Feeling great, but I know this is a pre existing condition. I need to do more research but remember reading on these boards that there are a few companies that sell this type of policy at final payment. My question is can two occupants of the cabin purchase two different type of policies? My husband thankfully does not need coverage for pre existing conditions.

Thank you for any suggestions, after many years of cruising this is a whole new territory for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Keep the insurance you have.

You cannot currently purchase another insurance plan for a couple of reasons.

1. On the day that you buy insurance, your health MUST allow you to travel that day. Not. "well I should be okay in 3 months", but be able to travel that day. I doubt that the Dr. would sign off on you traveling today.

2. For most (not all) but most pre-existing coverages, you have to purchase the insurance within just a few days of making the deposit.

Princess Platinum does include a Cancel For Any Reason benefit that has a 100% future cruise credit.

Keep the insurance you have.

You cannot currently purchase another insurance plan for a couple of reasons.

1. On the day that you buy insurance, your health MUST allow you to travel that day. Not. "well I should be okay in 3 months", but be able to travel that day. I doubt that the Dr. would sign off on you traveling today.

2. For most (not all) but most pre-existing coverages, you have to purchase the insurance within just a few days of making the deposit.

Princess Platinum does include a Cancel For Any Reason benefit that has a 100% future cruise credit.

Please contact www.TripInsuranceStore.com

There is at least one insurer that they carry who do offer that important waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing conditions, etc. (We've had that policy, but no claim. We usually insure within 20 days of the first payment/deposit, but once or twice, we didn't.)

This company will sell that policy if purchased within 24 hours of Final Payment (narrowly defined, obviously).

However, what klfrodo mentioned is VERY important: You must be "able to travel" on the date that you purchase the insurance.

What we did when DH was recovering from a medical emergency that led to a travel insurance claim is that the DAY that he was "able to travel", we got a written, dated letter from the physician THAT DAY (and walked out of the office with it in hand) stating that the doctor determined he was "fit to travel with no restrictions". His full recovery had taken a few months.

THEN we got the travel insurance when we got home from the doctor's office.

But in this case, we also waited to start planning the new trip, so this was also the day we made the trip first reservation and made that first payment/deposit. Thus, we were able to use our regular travel insurance company, Travel Insured.

Good luck, and good luck with your ongoing health!

GC

By the way, SunsetBeachGal...

That travel insurance I mentioned (company we used that time was CSA) will accept the start of insurance earlier, I believe. I don't think you'd need to wait until 24 hours of final payment; my understanding is that it is "no later than 24 hours after final payment", so my wording may not have been quite right.

But regardless, given your medical situation and the possible need for care or cancellation (one hopes, but....life happens, etc.), I'd recommend making SURE that you had a written letter from your physician about "fit to travel now with no health restrictions" (worded how physician prefers, etc.) ON THE DAY you start the insurance. Don't get the letter, and then start the insurance later... your health might have changed, -->> or so the insurer might claim, and what proof would you have about your health on the actual day you started the insurance?

Again, good luck!

GC

Thanks so much for the excellent suggestions! I have an oncologist appointment two weeks before final payment is due so I will definitely get this letter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great!

But please do consider getting that letter, and then starting the insurance that same date, even though the final pay deadline isn't quite due yet.

You might want to speak with Steve at TripInsuranceStore about this.

He was the one who "caught" us as we were about to get travel insurance for the next trip "too soon", and stopped us. (He "knew" about DH's medical situation, because we told him about the claim we had filed for the cancelled trip. Thank goodness... because we really did not know about the "fit to travel" caveat!)

Otherwise, we'd have made the mistake of getting the insurance when DH couldn't yet travel, while we were focusing on the "Oh, he'll be fine to travel in six months..."

At least we were able to cancel our plans without penalty, although a lot of disappointment. A couple of months later, we were back in gear with lots of travel planning. :)

GC

• 1 month later...

yes, your husband PROBABLY DOES need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. If you cancel for a pre-ex condition and your husband wants to cancel also (I'm going to assume he does) his reason can be because of a pre-ex condition of a traveling companion and the pre-ex exclusion can apply to him also. There are exceptions Some plans specifically do not apply the pre-ex exclusion to traveling companions. But unless you see that in writing you'd better assume the exclusion does apply.

Always check in the fine print who the exclusion will apply to. This is from one major insurer:

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition duringthe 60 day period immediately prior to the date Your coverage is effectivefor which You or Your Traveling Companion, Business Partner or FamilyMember scheduled or booked to travel with You"