Possibly new to Oceania -- a few questions!

Ash1982

Hello, fellow cruisers!

My husband and I are ready to take the next step "up" in cruising -- we've been sailing with Celebrity and Holland America for years and are looking for something a bit grander. From what I've heard, Oceania might be a good gateway line into more luxury cruising. HOWEVER, we are both 35, and I'm curious if you think we will feel out of place (we do just fine on HAL, as it were).

We don't have kids, don't like lots of noisy families, like fine dining, enjoy quieter forms of entertainment (e.g., jazz, acoustic guitar, etc.), don't like the typical daytime cruise entertainment usually found on the mainstream lines (e.g., game shows, trivia, etc.). We like to relax, have nice conversations with other adults, read, spa, and generally unwind.

Do you think there might be people sailing in their 30s, or 40s-50s? It's a week-long Miami-Miami cruise on Riviera during a school break (husband is in the education field so we have no choice), so I'm wondering if that might help skew the crowd a bit younger.

Other questions about Oceania itself, when looking to compare to mainstream lines:

• Are you allowed to order a bunch of different items from the menus, or just one appetizer, one entree, etc? We like to get a few things and share them. Didn't know if that was frowned upon on O.
  • Regarding the beverage packages, I understand that the lesser one includes beer, wine and champagne during dinner and lunch, and the more expensive includes spirits on top of that, plus you can enjoy your drink at any time. But does "spirits" = things like cocktails (frozen or otherwise), or just, say, a single liquor on the rocks?
  • Also regarding the drink packages, are there limits to the price point of what's included? For example, is it wines under a certain cost per glass? If so, would you pay the full charge if you want one not covered, or just the difference? I don't drink a whole lot, and it's difficult to figure out which way to go since I can't seem to find the prices anywhere on O's beverage menus.

Okay, I think that's it for now. If anyone would like to chime in, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

p.s. Heading out on Celebrity in 4 days... can't wait to be on the sea!

"Do you think there might be people sailing in their 30s, or 40s-50s? It's a week-long Miami-Miami cruise on Riviera during a school break (husband is in the education field so we have no choice), so I'm wondering if that might help skew the crowd a bit younger."

Based on your description of your likes I think you will fit in fine. You will be on the young side (and so on-board celebrity status). I agree with your thought that on a Spring Break Caribbean cruise the age will likely skew younger but O is appealing to an older crowd mainly for those things you describe you like. Relax and unwind is the ambience, no climbing walls or late night disco (they will have an hour or two after the show but will not be well attended. On a Caribbean cruise I expect more will be there)

I have not sailed Spring Break and little Caribbean experience so others with on-board experience may be more helpful.

As for these:

Other questions about Oceania itself, when looking to compare to mainstream lines:

• Are you allowed to order a bunch of different items from the menus, or just one appetizer, one entree, etc? We like to get a few things and share them. Didn't know if that was frowned upon on O.

Order was you prefer.

• Regarding the beverage packages, I understand that the lesser one includes beer, wine and champagne during dinner and lunch, and the more expensive includes spirits on top of that, plus you can enjoy your drink at any time. But does "spirits" = things like cocktails (frozen or otherwise), or just, say, a single liquor on the rocks?

Yes, spirits includes cocktails, etc.

• Also regarding the drink packages, are there limits to the price point of what's included? For example, is it wines under a certain cost per glass? If so, would you pay the full charge if you want one not covered, or just the difference? I don't drink a whole lot, and it's difficult to figure out which way to go since I can't seem to find the prices anywhere on O's beverage menus.

As for prices O's pours are on the small side (not for me but for several others on this board) and the cocktails can be on the expensive side (especially for a small pour). As for price limits only very high end single malt and cognac will incur a charge. There is no annoying "charge if over $15" type of thing. Order the brand you want.

As for wine that is more restrictive. It is for all wines by the glass offered from the selection that day, perhaps 10? plus a champagne. Reports of them running out of popular wines though which is concerning. So if it offered by the glass it is included. Bottles of wine I believe are discounted if you have a drinks package

YoHoHo had all the right answers, I'll add "O" is a great line and you'll enjoy the cruise. We've done 8 and we're booked in Dec for the next "O".

Except the number of wines by the glass- there are 20+ wines offered by the glass. roughly 10 red and 10 white, plus the 3 bubbly

Others have posted good answers to your questions,

I just have one thing to add and it's a pet peeve of mine.

You can order whatever you want and as much as you want but I feel strongly that you should eat if not all then at least most of what you order (unless you don't like it). Ordering multiple items and just taking a bite to taste is a waste, IMO.

This works best in Terrace where you can choose many different items and just get small portions.

I suspect that you will enjoy Oceania but only by cruising on it will you know for sure.

Have a great cruise.

I understand Paul's dislike of people ordering too much food, but I can say that Howard -- when he still earned the nickname "Garbage Pail Mager" because for a small man he could put away an incredible amount of food -- anyway, he was known to order multiple appetizers and/or main course. (But I can't recall him ever ordering two appetizers and two main courses ...) He still can order five different plates given the right choices-- and he DOES finish them, Paul!

But waste not, want not ... or something like that.

As long as the couple asking likes to share the dishes -- we used to do that, too -- I imagine they will finish up.

Our first trip to Mallorca was in February 1972. We married the next year, so we were still young, sigh. Our waiter got very upset with us at our hotel because we regularly exchanged plates half way through dinner. "No cambiare, no cambiare," he said, gesticulating madly.

But we did anyway.

Mura

In regards to age bracket. We sailed Insignia last September round-trip from New York visiting New England/ Bermuda. We are early 30s. We received alot of comments like "who would have thought of seeing younger people on a cruise, where do you find the time?" we just replied "We are surprised to see so many older people on a cruise, who would have thought they had so much free time". All in good humor :) Oceania is now one of our favorites! It was a really special cruise to us and everyone on board was lovely. We are on Marina for 2 weeks in November as a result and have our eyes on Azamara sailings. After seeing Viking Sun in Sydney the other week I wouldn't mind adding them to the list. I would explore brands that appeal to you and not worry so much about secondary generalizations that don't really impact the experience.

You're going to love Oceania! We love eating dinner outside up at the Terrace Cafe when we're not booked in one of their specialty restaurants. We especially love taking turns going to the dessert bar and sharing a variety of their wonderful desserts. Both times we were on the Riviera the MDR menu items for the most part were also available at the Terrace Cafe. That's if, of course, we didn't want to eat filet mignon and lobster (as shown in the above picture) from their grill.

I have had the higher priced drink package a number of times and I don't recall any discount on bottles of wine. Maybe something new?

you remember correctly. The discount available if you have the premium drink package is on the dinner in La Reserve.

The Terrace Cafe is unlike any other buffet I've ever dined at. Here's a sample of just some of what is available every night, grilled to order:

Terrace-Cafe-onboard-Marina.jpeg

That looks wonderful. We have started to diet already so that we can splurge on dinner.

"Do you think there might be people sailing in their 30s, or 40s-50s? It's a week-long Miami-Miami cruise on Riviera during a school break (husband is in the education field so we have no choice), so I'm wondering if that might help skew the crowd a bit younger."

Based on your description of your likes I think you will fit in fine. You will be on the young side (and so on-board celebrity status). I agree with your thought that on a Spring Break Caribbean cruise the age will likely skew younger but O is appealing to an older crowd mainly for those things you describe you like. Relax and unwind is the ambience, no climbing walls or late night disco (they will have an hour or two after the show but will not be well attended. On a Caribbean cruise I expect more will be there)

I have not sailed Spring Break and little Caribbean experience so others with on-board experience may be more helpful.

As for these:

Order was you prefer.

Yes, spirits includes cocktails, etc.

As for prices O's pours are on the small side (not for me but for several others on this board) and the cocktails can be on the expensive side (especially for a small pour). As for price limits only very high end single malt and cognac will incur a charge. There is no annoying "charge if over $15" type of thing. Order the brand you want.

As for wine that is more restrictive. It is for all wines by the glass offered from the selection that day, perhaps 10? plus a champagne. Reports of them running out of popular wines though which is concerning. So if it offered by the glass it is included. Bottles of wine I believe are discounted if you have a drinks package

I hate to admit this, but I have been all over the Oceania website trying to find out where to book the Drink Package and how much it costs per day. So far I have found a link entitled Drink Package, and when I click on it I am told that I haven't purchased a drink package yet. So where can I go to select (or not) a Drink Package? We are on the Riviera on a Lisbon to Rome cruise in June. Thanks in advance.

And, as far as the Specialty Restaurants go, I see that we can select one to make a reservation. I am assuming that this is not in the price that I have already paid and that we would have to pay the price indicated.

Here is all the info you need about the specialty restaurants: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

If you did not select the basic drink package offered in the Oceania Choice program, then the Basic drink package is $39.95 per day per person, the Premium drink package is $59.95 per day per person. Generally people wait until on board to book the packages using On Board Credits. Note that all non-alcohol drinks are included in the cruise price. Here's info from the Oceania site: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/beverage-wine-packages/

I hate to admit this, but I have been all over the Oceania website trying to find out where to book the Drink Package and how much it costs per day. So far I have found a link entitled Drink Package, and when I click on it I am told that I haven't purchased a drink package yet. So where can I go to select (or not) a Drink Package? We are on the Riviera on a Lisbon to Rome cruise in June. Thanks in advance.

And, as far as the Specialty Restaurants go, I see that we can select one to make a reservation. I am assuming that this is not in the price that I have already paid and that we would have to pay the price indicated.

Perhaps you are seeing La Reserve or Privee, available on your cruise planner. Neither of these are specialty restaurants. If you look at the first page of the cruise planner you will see what date you can book your specialty restaurants.

On the drink package. If you booked with a Travel agent they can add it any time for you. If you booked online you were given an option to book it during that process. If you didn't use a travel agent and want to add it before you are on board just call Oceania.

When we do the drink package we usually take it as a perk with Olife and upgrade it on board a few days into the cruise.

Perhaps you are seeing La Reserve or Privee, available on your cruise planner. Neither of these are specialty restaurants. If you look at the first page of the cruise planner you will see what date you can book your specialty restaurants.

On the drink package. If you booked with a Travel agent they can add it any time for you. If you booked online you were given an option to book it during that process. If you didn't use a travel agent and want to add it before you are on board just call Oceania.

When we do the drink package we usually take it as a perk with Olife and upgrade it on board a few days into the cruise.

Ok, that sorts that out. Pollo Grill and Toscana, etc are the specialty restaurants that need an advance reservation. Once on board, can you make additional reservations above the # allotted based on your cabin type?

I see that the Basic drink package is only good at lunch and dinner. I'm curious about the price of an individual glass of wine to determine if its worth purchasing. Do you remember how much a glass of wine costs?

P.S. We have cruised numerous times but never on Oceania. I'm on a few Facebook cruise pages and see these types of questions all the time, which I find irritating. Apologies for becoming one of those newbies with such basic questions.

Ok, that sorts that out. Pollo Grill and Toscana, etc are the specialty restaurants that need an advance reservation. Once on board, can you make additional reservations above the # allotted based on your cabin type?

I see that the Basic drink package is only good at lunch and dinner. I'm curious about the price of an individual glass of wine to determine if its worth purchasing. Do you remember how much a glass of wine costs?

P.S. We have cruised numerous times but never on Oceania. I'm on a few Facebook cruise pages and see these types of questions all the time, which I find irritating. Apologies for becoming one of those newbies with such basic questions.

I think it's in the 10-14 dollar range, plus 18% per drink.

you remember correctly. The discount available if you have the premium drink package is on the dinner in La Reserve.

Just a point of clarification: From the Oceania website.

"Guests purchasing either beverage package will receive a 20% discount on any of our exclusive wine-pairing dinners in La Reserve on board Marina and Riviera"

One hitch to this is if you get the basic drink package with Olife the discount is not applicable, even if you upgrade once on board. Although on our last cruise we had the basic from Olife and there was a card in our room that said since we have the drink package we could get the discount in La Reserve. There was a passenger that was in the same situation and tried to get the discount but were denied.