Transportation from airport to Cruise Ship

Zandarr

In our previous trips on Oceania we have used that city's taxi service to get to port as we usually arrive a day early but not this time. We decided to take the Oceania package for our April cruise. Does O have a shuttle that continuously go back and forth between the airport and the port and if so I would imagine that they have O officials at the airport?

No service is provided to get you from the airport to the ship by Oceania. That is your responsibility. Nor any service ship to airport. It would help if you told us which airport you are talking about.

I think they're talking about the transfers you purchase from Oceania. I have no idea how they work as I've never taken them, but I have seen the representative in the airports with the Oceania sign.

I think they're talking about the transfers you purchase from Oceania. I have no idea how they work as I've never taken them, but I have seen the representative in the airports with the Oceania sign.

Thanks for answering this as I was about to respond.

Edited by Zandarr
making additions

You can get a transfer from Oceania, they are generally expensive and not the fastest. Might be useful if you have mobility issues or much luggage.
We have already paid for it and we knew there were cheaper options but since we are saving a boat load on tours that we booked through Viator we said what the hell.

How do you mean slow? Do they wait for other passengers?

The one and only time we used O transfers we had to wait for others to arrive. There was an attendant who herded us to a waiting area, then we sat obc bus still waiting. We always take taxis now.

The one and only time we used O transfers we had to wait for others to arrive. There was an attendant who herded us to a waiting area, then we sat obc bus still waiting. We always take taxis now.

That is what we thought and since I am a very impatient person we still might just take a taxi depending on how long the wait is but we get in really early and cannot board until 1 anyway. We will see.

Zandarr,

We've done both O transfers and our own taxi arrangement to get to the ship in Barcelona. Taxi is far superior.

You have ample time to have your TA cancel your Oceania transfers (I think you will see them on your invoice at $49 per person). You should be able to get that amount as OBC.

Using the O transfers in Barcelona will require you to check in with the O rep, turn over your luggage, gather and wait until a busload of people is ready to go. The long hike to the bus may not go as speedily as you would like. Nor will the actual boarding.

However, Barcelona is probably the easiest airport-to-cruise ship taxi experience. There is a flat 39 euro fee for the taxi. When you step out of the baggage claim and into the arrivals lounge, you will see the word "TAXI" with big arrows painted on an angle on the side of the enclosure over the escalator down to the taxi stand. The escalator is "stepless" not unlike a moving sidewalk, so you wheel your luggage on as you get on and glide down to the taxis. The taxi stand has "Disney" style lanes for queuing, but when we got there at about 10:15 AM there was no one in line. We just walked up to the first cab and handed over our luggage. We told the driver in Spanish where we were going, and confirmed, in Spanish, the 39 euro fee. About 15 minutes later we pulled up to the ship.

I am not fluent in Spanish, so I put both our desired destination phrase and the fare confirmation sentences through Google translate and printed out the results. I then just read the two lines to the driver and he said "Si!" and we had an understanding. He talked to us almost non-stop on the ride -- pointing out points of interest along the way. I had no idea what he was saying, but he seemed to be having such a good time, I just said yes now and again when it seemed he was asking a question.

An exceptionally fine memory you just brought back for me.

That is what we thought and since I am a very impatient person we still might just take a taxi depending on how long the wait is but we get in really early and cannot board until 1 anyway. We will see.

What date and time are you coming in? We arrive in Barcelona on April 11 at 9:15am. Any interest in sharing a cab?

Zandarr,

We've done both O transfers and our own taxi arrangement to get to the ship in Barcelona. Taxi is far superior.

You have ample time to have your TA cancel your Oceania transfers (I think you will see them on your invoice at $49 per person). You should be able to get that amount as OBC.

Using the O transfers in Barcelona will require you to check in with the O rep, turn over your luggage, gather and wait until a busload of people is ready to go. The long hike to the bus may not go as speedily as you would like. Nor will the actual boarding.

However, Barcelona is probably the easiest airport-to-cruise ship taxi experience. There is a flat 39 euro fee for the taxi. When you step out of the baggage claim and into the arrivals lounge, you will see the word "TAXI" with big arrows painted on an angle on the side of the enclosure over the escalator down to the taxi stand. The escalator is "stepless" not unlike a moving sidewalk, so you wheel your luggage on as you get on and glide down to the taxis. The taxi stand has "Disney" style lanes for queuing, but when we got there at about 10:15 AM there was no one in line. We just walked up to the first cab and handed over our luggage. We told the driver in Spanish where we were going, and confirmed, in Spanish, the 39 euro fee. About 15 minutes later we pulled up to the ship.

I am not fluent in Spanish, so I put both our desired destination phrase and the fare confirmation sentences through Google translate and printed out the results. I then just read the two lines to the driver and he said "Si!" and we had an understanding. He talked to us almost non-stop on the ride -- pointing out points of interest along the way. I had no idea what he was saying, but he seemed to be having such a good time, I just said yes now and again when it seemed he was asking a question.

An exceptionally fine memory you just brought back for me.

Thanks for this valuable information.

We use the O transfers as like to know ahead of time about our transport to and from airport to ship. We've found the local Oceania reps at airports to be very helpful. Waiting a few minutes doesn't matter to us. In fact, we were very glad to have the local help in Buenos Aires when United managed to loose our 3 bags for 3 days!! Finally got them in Punta del Este.

We use the O transfers as like to know ahead of time about our transport to and from airport to ship. We've found the local Oceania reps at airports to be very helpful. Waiting a few minutes doesn't matter to us. In fact, we were very glad to have the local help in Buenos Aires when United managed to loose our 3 bags for 3 days!! Finally got them in Punta del Este.
That is what we are thinking as well but we are going back and forth on our decision. Right now we are leaning towards using a local taxi but it is very close.

Zandarr,

You have ample time to have your TA cancel your Oceania transfers (I think you will see them on your invoice at $49 per person).

In this case, if O's transfer cost is 'reasonable" compared with taxi, and as the OP said they have OBC to burn, it might be a good to spend it on this vs.spend it on a trinket from one of the on-board stores. At least with the transfer they do not have to reach in their pocket. For me the main thing is the convenience / wait if I had more OBC than I can spend.

We use a mix of independent and CL supplied services. Some places it made sense to use an O excursion (long distance, few alternate routes if traffic delays, etc) and we've even bought a CL transfer twice (tight time and rush hour traffic concerns) and others we make our own way. We are not in the "never" camp but in the "evaluate what is good for us" .

$49 pp? I guess O got their mind back. In 2012 I questioned my TA on the transfer cost on the booking invoice. I wondered who came up with the price and thought they they surely must be embarrassed. This is from O's guest statement:

19-Jul-12 TRANSFER AIRPORT TO SHIP 1,2 $ 119.00 238.00

Yup, USD $238 about E192 today. We paid I think about E30 for the taxi at the time

I was unhappy that my "top O connoisseur" TA even included it automatically. We had booked with her previously, she knew better. And though I know O charges a lot for 'extras" this was amount outrageous and far more than previous. I've learned to research what is being offered and what I am buying, regardless of the cruise line.

Tip for those taking a taxi from their hotel to the terminal, make sure the driver understand when you say you want to go to the "port" you mean the cruise port and not the air port. It happens

In this case, if O's transfer cost is 'reasonable" compared with taxi, and as the OP said they have OBC to burn, it might be a good to spend it on this vs.spend it on a trinket from one of the on-board stores. At least with the transfer they do not have to reach in their pocket. For me the main thing is the convenience / wait if I had more OBC than I can spend.

We use a mix of independent and CL supplied services. Some places it made sense to use an O excursion (long distance, few alternate routes if traffic delays, etc) and we've even bought a CL transfer twice (tight time and rush hour traffic concerns) and others we make our own way. We are not in the "never" camp but in the "evaluate what is good for us" .

$49 pp? I guess O got their mind back. In 2012 I questioned my TA on the transfer cost on the booking invoice. I wondered who came up with the price and thought they they surely must be embarrassed. This is from O's guest statement:

19-Jul-12 TRANSFER AIRPORT TO SHIP 1,2 $ 119.00 238.00

Yup, USD $238 about E192 today. We paid I think about E30 for the taxi at the time

I was unhappy that my "top O connoisseur" TA even included it automatically. We had booked with her previously, she knew better. And though I know O charges a lot for 'extras" this was amount outrageous and far more than previous. I've learned to research what is being offered and what I am buying, regardless of the cruise line.

Tip for those taking a taxi from their hotel to the terminal, make sure the driver understand when you say you want to go to the "port" you mean the cruise port and not the air port. It happens

As the day goes by we are leaning towards using a local taxi.

Yohoho,

Now you've got me wondering where I came up with that $49! Maybe it was $149? All I know is the cost difference between the transfers and the taxi was substantial. Your $119 number could well have morphed into $149 today.

IF we use OC the cost will be 79 pp.