Live from Voyager—Feb 20 to Mar 6, 2018–Sydney to Auckland with RachelG

RachelG

Feb 18, 2018–on our way!

As I prepare to take over Mr Rumor’s blogging duties, I will start by setting the table, as he likes to say.

A year ago, George and I were on Voyager Singapore to Hong Kong, me with a freshly fractured and surgically repaired shoulder. The start to this trip has been much less eventful, thank heavens. Just the usual busy week at work prior, but no drama.

I am sitting in the newly opened and very spacious Flagship lounge at LAX after flying Tulsa to DFW and on to here with everything perfectly on time. One of my rules is never to fly in to arrive the same day as embarkation, just too risky. But this time we had to take a chance as that was what was available with FF miles. So far, so good. Our flight to Sydney leaves in 2 1/2 hours and is listed as on time. My thoughts when I booked the flight were that, worst case scenario and we miss embarkation, it would be relatively easy to get from Sydney to Melbourne and catch the ship.

Three years ago, we did Auckland to Melbourne on Silversea and loved it. So when I saw this itinerary, I jumped at booking it. About half the ports are new to us, and the others are ones we are happy to revisit. Lots of opportunities to get out in nature, do some hiking, and enjoy delicious food. On our last trip, we missed Napier due to a big storm, so I am really hoping to make that port this time.

As usual, questions/comments are always welcome. I will do my best to answer.

Rachel, 78 Singapore-Sydney cruisers will be continuing on to Auckland with you. Wish Ginny and I could have made it 80, as NZ is on our bucket list plus we would have loved to have shared the adventure with you and George.

You will get to taste the rare and wonderful finger lime in CR the night of the Captain's Reception. See forgap's and my blog for details.

Have a great cruise! I'll be avidly following along from Sydney (we're on Regent's Sydney and Beyond included post-cruise tour), and then from back home in the Land of Enchantment.

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So happy to see that you have set the table for your blog. You are doing an itinerary that we would love to do. We have visited Australia and New Zealand before we started cruising and then did the itinerary that Rich just completed and love that part of the world.

Looking forward to every word that you will be posting. You are now onboard the plane and hopefully will be able to sleep and wake up refreshed when you get there.

We will also be following you and real excited to read about your adventures since we are also looking at doing a similar itinerary. Enjoy and hope to cruise again with you in the future.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair Winds and Following Tasman seas Rachel (and George).

Hope you do get to Napier--beautiful Art Deco buildings and Napier has a wonderful aquarium. (If u have not been) In Rotorua recommend the The Rotorua experience--highlight is visit to Te Puia (two geysers) and this excursion is also a good introduction to the Maori culture. Lastly, if u have not visited Dunedin, the Taieri Gorge Railway is a terrific excursion.

Edited by WesW

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. We arrived in Sydney right on time. The flagship lounge at LAX has certainly upped the game as far as lounges there. On par with the British Airways lounge at LHR. Excellent food. They make pho to order, which I quite enjoyed being a pho aficionado.

The new 787 Dreamliner business class is quite comfortable. I slept a lot then watched movies. Have to unpack now, so will port more later.

February 20,2018–embarkation in Sydney

So we totally skipped the 19th of February. Probably wasn’t that great of a day anyway.

After a totally uneventful flight from LAX to Sydney with no medical emergencies, we landed on time. We were quickly though customs and immigration and had our Uber to White Bay cruise terminal in no time.

It was a very overcast and windy day, with the temps in low 70s. I was happy to have my warm sweater because of the wind. The Uber driver was complaining about the cold, but it felt fine to us. The plan was to drop off our bags, then get the ferry over to the city to sight see and walk around. There is a rule that once you board the ship in Sydney, you can’t get off.

Bag drop was quick. We walked , in a very gusty wind that reminded us of home in Oklahoma, to the ferry stop. No one was there. We waited a little while, because i had checked out things online, and the website said the ferry ran whenever there were ships in port. Voyager and Silversea Wind were both there, but apparently that doesn’t count as “ships in port” because the ferry was not running today. So we wasted about an hour figuring this out.

Back to Uber. A driver came quickly and took us to the opera house. The place was bustling and busy with lot of families still celebrating the Chinese New Year. We walked all over, then found a place for lunch in The Rocks which had been recommended to us. The skies looked like they would open at any minute. Once it started sprinkling, we got another Uber back to the ship.

Check in was super fast, no line at all, even for us in just regular cabins. I am now Platinum while George is still gold, so I had to gloat a little. Lots of crew members greeted us as old friends—something we love. It really is like coming home. Rooms were not quite ready, so we went and made Spa appointments. George was happy that a couple of his favorite masseuses are onboard.

Suites were ready at 2. There was a lovely plate of chocolate dipped strawberries awaiting us from Daniela. I still hate that they took away a lot of storage space with the remodel, but the look is light and free from clutter. I was still able to find enough room to put all our stuff.

Muster drill was quick and efficient. It was still very windy, but the skies cleared for a sunny sail away. We had great views of the bridges and opera house as we sailed out.

George and I showed up at Sette Mare as soon as it opened. Once again, we were greeted by old friends on the crew. We had just tucked into our salads when who should sneak up on us but Daniela, the F and B manager, who is also a good and longtime friend. We are so happy to be onboard with her. Dinner was delicious, with the usual great assortment of salads, some huge mussels, and spaghetti carbonara for George, branzino for me.

As soon as we turned out of the harbor, the seas picked up considerably. We are rocking and rolling. There is a variety show tonight, but with being tired plus the rough sea conditions, we are calling it an early night.

I watched you sailing down the Harbour from one window at home and then from another window I saw Voyager cruise south on the open sea toward Melbourne. She looked very flash.

I hope you have a fabulous time on your Australasian adventure.

Now, that is indeed a cute cowboy you found, Rachel !:p

How lovely to see Voyager from both angles - from Jen's apartment and on board. I think you could say that between you, you had the ship covered :cool: Hope the Tasman Sea smooths out for you before too long - have I got it right: it's Navigator that's heading west towards Perth but you're sailing east to New Zealand, no?