In room tv changes

pfleer

Question on the in room tv changes. Will there no longer be those couple of movies that are playing throughout the cruise? This was always nice because it would allow my two daughters a chance to lay down and relax at the end of the day as they are getting ready for bed. Wondering if we should bring a DVD player now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are first-time Carnival cruisers. Been on other lines. Never had a really bad experience. Our first Carnival trip will be this April. I've read through a number of posts commenting on the lack of network TV/Cable News channels available. If true, then very unfortunate...But we've already paid for the trip, so it is what it is.

But I will be disappointed if we can't get CNN/MSNBC/FOX/etc. Why?

I believe that amenities on a Cruise ship are important. Just like I don't being in a foreign hotel with only local, non-English stations, I like to be surrounded by as much of "home" as I can when away from home. This is what Carnival states (pasted from their website, Bold Itals are mine):

ALL THE PERKS. IN EVERY ROOM.

With all this comfort and all these standard features,

you've gotta try real hard to get homesick on a Carnival cruise.

"Homesick"...well, with no news stations, without access to what the heck is going on in the world, yeah, I'd be a little "homesick." If I am in error, if Carnival has not dropped various network/cable channels, then my apologies. If they have dropped them...hmmm.

They go on to say in their website:

STATEROOM TELEVISION PROGRAMMING

Grab the remote, order room service and catch a movie or your favorite TV show ... all from the comfort of your stateroom.

Ok...my favorite TV shows? On Broadcast networks: Lethal Weapon, 60 Minutes, The Big Bang Theory... My favorite Cable News TV shows: Don Lemmon, Chris Mathews, Laura Ingraham...if the major networks are unavailable, then I'm not able to catch my "favorite TV show."

Followed by this hard-to-decipher disclaimer:

Television Programming

Depending on the satellite and location of the ship, we receive some network channels in the staterooms (subject to change).

I'm not sure what that means...does that mean stations like NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, FNC, MSNBC, etc, might not always be available, depending on location? Wording is quite vague. If location is a factor, I can certainly understand that.

I've read other exchanges on these web boards ranging from the cost of the cable to a particular cruise line, to attempting to make the cruise more relaxing by eliminating news/politics (not necessarily Carnival, since I don't know their politics).

I'm not really buying either excuse. With the buying power of cruise lines, they can certainly negotiate with satellite providers for discounted rates...and pass the minimal charges onto those who want to be cruising couch potatoes. And for news/TV junkies, NOT having access to a full range of viewing is not exactly more relaxing.

I recently switched gyms because the previous gym owners' PC police dropped all cable news coverage. An exercise bike is boring enough...but add to that your only choices being soap operas, Ellen or The View and enough already...time to find a new gym.

If Carnival does have a full range (or even a limited range) of broadcast/Cable channels, bravo to them. If they don't...

Edited by Bingecruiser1947
context,punctuation

Its not a matter of the PC Police on Carnival. The Networks are charging cable and satellite companies more in fees. Its why people are dropping major providers. I don’t want to pay even more for broadcast tv on ship. I”ll miss the few minutes I actually watched tv, but I’m sure I can find something else to do on ship. And, as always, if you don’t like Carnival, please do go somewhere else. Thats your choice.

Just back from the Miracle. We had CNN, a bunch of Carnival stations, TBS TRU, and I think TNT A movie channel which played a rotation of 5 movies with lots of trailers played in between. The guide on the TV was no help in in fguring out what would play when.

Same as Chosen, we were on Miracle three weeks ago and the movie channel showed five movies in rotation with a ton of trailers between movies. The ones I can remember watching some or all of was Lego Batman, Skull Island, Gifted, Goodbye Christopher Robin (I think), and one other one I can’t remember.

We also had CNN, CNN International, as well as Cartoon Network, Paramount Network, and local affiliates from Miami (among other channels I can’t remember currently).

I don’t get the whole cutback talks about tv. It hasn’t changed since we started cruising Carnival in 2016.

We also had CNN, CNN International, as well as Cartoon Network, Paramount Network, and local affiliates from Miami (among other channels I can’t remember currently).

I don’t get the whole cutback talks about tv. It hasn’t changed since we started cruising Carnival in 2016.

It has changed recently, as the last 2 cruises I have taken. They no longer offer the local Miami affiliates (ABC, CBS, NBC).

While I agree, there are better things to do on a cruise ship than watch TV, I always like to catch up on what happen back in the US before I end my day. CNN is no longer national news, but more shows, and CNN international is not what I am looking for.

It has changed recently, as the last 2 cruises I have taken. They no longer offer the local Miami affiliates (ABC, CBS, NBC).

While I agree, there are better things to do on a cruise ship than watch TV, I always like to catch up on what happen back in the US before I end my day. CNN is no longer national news, but more shows, and CNN international is not what I am looking for.

Hmmm. Just off the Miracle repo about three weeks ago and we had all the Miami affiliates. I guess we’ll see if the “cutback” of not having Miami news (we live in Denver) will affect our September sailing.

Its not a matter of the PC Police on Carnival. The Networks are charging cable and satellite companies more in fees. Its why people are dropping major providers. I don’t want to pay even more for broadcast tv on ship. I”ll miss the few minutes I actually watched tv, but I’m sure I can find something else to do on ship. And, as always, if you don’t like Carnival, please do go somewhere else. Thats your choice.

Respectfully, Zeph, once you've paid, you've made the decision (choice), at least on this upcoming adventure.

If you missed the tone of my missive, it was more about Carnival being less than candid re' their TV channel portfolio than it was about the TV channel selections themselves. Any comment on that?

Advertising shouldn't say your room is like being home, with your favorite TV shows, when they aren't even offered. Had they just listed all the broadcast channels (if any) and the cable channels, instead of the way their literature was written, no worries. My choice of sailing on them or not. But they didn't.

CHOICE would be metering cabin usage with appropriate charges per hour and letting those who want to watch TV to do so. Having a fairly good grasp of satellite/cable operations, I'm not going to buy into the notion that it's a cost issue. The marketing power of Carnival in particular and the cruise industry in general says different. Sailing NORTH/SOUTH...maybe I'll have to rig up my own on-board balcony DISH.

CNN International? What a hmmm...I'm really not that excited about a drought in the Sudan, a tiger attack in Pakistan or a rebel ambush in Sri Lanka. But that's just me.

Regarding the PC police...in the case of my former gym, it was a PC issue. They offered ALL the cable news networks, but the only one that appeared to be on most screens was FNC. PC gyms and FNC? Incompatible, regardless what the members are watching. .

CNN International is aired outside the United States. It is geard toward audiences outside the States. Therefore, if you cruise outside the United States, that is what airs, like it or not. Same with ESPN, who has networks serving numerous overseas countries.

As for “metering” how you watch, i’m afraid this isn’t the drop-the-quarter-in-the-slot 1960s Motor Court tv style. By todays costs, you would have to spend thousands on equipment and re wire entire ships to even try and track viewers habits.

It is a cost issue, whether you choose to believe it or not. DISH tv regularly threatens to drop local over the air network stations because of “carriage” fees. Thats money, in case you missed it. They give very little room or time to negotiate deals. Pay up now or lose it.

I am debating whether your remark about “hooking up your own dish on the balcony” is sarcasm or just plain stupidity. A regular home based dish does not work when what it is attached to is moving. Cruise ship dishes and equipment are far more sophisticated, and...wait for it...far more expensive.

I seriously doubt any of what I’ve posted here will sink in, but this is the type of thick headedness I’ve come to expect on some of these threads.

My signature, as always: If you don’t like what Carnival does, please, please leave and don’t come back.

Ditto..Just returned from the Breeze and no local channels or weather. Yes we totally missed them. Like to know what's going on even if it is Miami affiliates. Deal breaker? could be...

There was a similar post to this one yesterday, but it has been deleted ... hmmm...

But I asked the question yesterday about HDMI ports on the TV. Does anyone know if they work? I have a firewire to HDMI adapter that could be used to play downloaded Netflix to a TV... if the HDMI ports work.

Not that I am a TV hound, we spend very little time in our cabin anyway, but we like to watch TV just before bed, and on our last cruise and the only thing to watch was something about a tattoo shop, I think.

There was a similar post to this one yesterday, but it has been deleted ... hmmm...

But I asked the question yesterday about HDMI ports on the TV. Does anyone know if they work? I have a firewire to HDMI adapter that could be used to play downloaded Netflix to a TV... if the HDMI ports work.

Not that I am a TV hound, we spend very little time in our cabin anyway, but we like to watch TV just before bed, and on our last cruise and the only thing to watch was something about a tattoo shop, I think.

I read elsewhere that someone said Carnival has disabled or blocked use. However there is apparently a work around somewhere on You Tube??