Pre and Post Miami to Miami

DeepFreeze63

As reported above, we had a recent terrific 10-day Caribbean cruise on Explorer. The pre-cruise and post cruise was "hum-drum"!

We wanted a specific cabin which happens to be Concierge level; we went with Regent Air and the included night.

Through our TA, we got direct AA flights between Washington D.C. and Miami. Regent initially wanted to have us change in Charlotte. our group transfer to the hotel was via a small van.

We were put up at the Epic hotel - a nice downtown hotel with a modernistic motif with about 100 Explorer cruisers. The hotel restaurants were very pricey so we had a delightful, casual lunch at the Whole Foods food bar (about a block from the Epic) and a fantastic dinner at Fratelli Milano (about 2 blocks from the Epic). You need advance reservations at Fratelli as it is tremendously popular.

Our two buses left the Epic at 12:30 and even with construction traffic we were checking in at about before 1PM. Contractors handled check-in and it went quickly.

Upon our return to Miami, disembarkation went efficiently. Our Regent color -# was called at 8:25 and we were at the airport (on a Monday morning) by 9AM! There was Regent staff on the bus or helping with luggage.

Conclusion: The Regent transportation and the pre-cruise hotel package are nice but definitely NOT 5 star experiences. My next cruise via Miami, I will take any credit and do both my own air (I'm Platinum with no-cost air deviation) and hotel with miles and points.

As reported above, we had a recent terrific 10-day Caribbean cruise on Explorer. The pre-cruise and post cruise was "hum-drum"!

We wanted a specific cabin which happens to be Concierge level; we went with Regent Air and the included night.

Through our TA, we got direct AA flights between Washington D.C. and Miami. Regent initially wanted to have us change in Charlotte. our group transfer to the hotel was via a small van.

We were put up at the Epic hotel - a nice downtown hotel with a modernistic motif with about 100 Explorer cruisers. The hotel restaurants were very pricey so we had a delightful, casual lunch at the Whole Foods food bar (about a block from the Epic) and a fantastic dinner at Fratelli Milano (about 2 blocks from the Epic). You need advance reservations at Fratelli as it is tremendously popular.

Our two buses left the Epic at 12:30 and even with construction traffic we were checking in at about before 1PM. Contractors handled check-in and it went quickly.

Upon our return to Miami, disembarkation went efficiently. Our Regent color -# was called at 8:25 and we were at the airport (on a Monday morning) by 9AM! There was Regent staff on the bus or helping with luggage.

Conclusion: The Regent transportation and the pre-cruise hotel package are nice but definitely NOT 5 star experiences. My next cruise via Miami, I will take any credit and do both my own air (I'm Platinum with no-cost air deviation) and hotel with miles and points.

SORRY! I should proof read better. "There were NO regent staff....).

There is always a let down feeling once you are disembarked. The onboard sterling service does certainly not continue with the Regent transfer from ship to port.we have always just taken the included transfers and felt it’s adequate and no more! Jean.

You paid your money, had a good time and off you go! We need to save our efforts, smiles and knowledge for the new group getting on! I have only done four cruises, but the feeling that morning is get you on a bus and out of here!

Funny when I do a land trip I never feel that big let down.

I, as have many other CCs, commented on problems when the Miami Terminal is the debarkation point for a Regent cruise. These thoughts were conveyed on another Thread following our May-June 2017 Miami-Amazon River-Miami Navigator cruise and will not be repeated.

Other than to say--Boy, were you lucky to get off that ship when you did! Like, a broken watch is right one time within a 12-hour period.

For anyone else leaving a Regent ship at Miami, and scheduling a plane out of the area for return home on the same day--I say again: Out of an abundance of caution, suggest that flight not depart Miami International Airport any time prior to, oh, 1330 or 1400H. Just to be on the safe side. If from Ft. Lauderdale Airport--for sure not earlier than 1400H.

Our next scheduled visit, at this time, to the Miami Terminal will be on Explorer in April, 2020 following completion of our Los Angeles-Miami cruise celebrating 50 years of happy marriage. To ease all angst, spouse and I will spend a few days with relatives, who will pick us up at the Terminal. Then will be driven at a leisurely pace to the Miami Airport for return to Seattle.

As detailed in that earlier posting, last June's ride from Terminal to Airport was in a cab which exceeded the speed limit, for sure.

Regards,

GOARMY!

I, as have many other CCs, commented on problems when the Miami Terminal is the debarkation point for a Regent cruise. These thoughts were conveyed on another Thread following our May-June 2017 Miami-Amazon River-Miami Navigator cruise and will not be repeated.

Other than to say--Boy, were you lucky to get off that ship when you did! Like, a broken watch is right one time within a 12-hour period.

For anyone else leaving a Regent ship at Miami, and scheduling a plane out of the area for return home on the same day--I say again: Out of an abundance of caution, suggest that flight not depart Miami International Airport any time prior to, oh, 1330 or 1400H. Just to be on the safe side. If from Ft. Lauderdale Airport--for sure not earlier than 1400H.

Our next scheduled visit, at this time, to the Miami Terminal will be on Explorer in April, 2020 following completion of our Los Angeles-Miami cruise celebrating 50 years of happy marriage. To ease all angst, spouse and I will spend a few days with relatives, who will pick us up at the Terminal. Then will be driven at a leisurely pace to the Miami Airport for return to Seattle.

As detailed in that earlier posting, last June's ride from Terminal to Airport was in a cab which exceeded the speed limit, for sure.

Regards,

GOARMY!

Guess what? We will be on the same cruise! It will be a while until we are able to book flights, but it will definitely not be on the early side since there is no guarantee that you can get off of the ship in a reasonable amount of time. Also, did't realize that you fly into Seattle (we fly into Vancouver, BC as it is 50 miles closer than SEA). Fortunately, since we are now Titanium, we will have a private transfer to the airport (just getting used to this amazing benefit).

It seems like 2020 is so far off but it will likely be here sooner than we think.

Travel Cat: It is a small cruise world. We booked this LA-Panama Canal-Miami itinerary very-early as we wanted to be in the same Suite occupied when on Explorer's March-April 2017 Miami-Barcelona-Venice cruise segments; will be aboard with a couple we have known for 55+ years, and have previously sailed with on Regent and Cunard ships.

And, yes--they were with us on that Cunard ship in the South Atlantic, when the "emergency" klaxon went off at 0030H. Not to go off-Thread, but that Thread is Muster Drill. Might be helpful for others to visit as to importance of paying attention during said Drill.

See you onboard before, or at Meet and Mingle. Probably our paths will cross on intervening cruises.

Best.

GOARMY!

This sailing sold-out already? Perhaps it only pertains to a specific cabin level. Hmm. Assuming you have a TA with experience placing clients on Regent ships, this should be further-"Explored" (pun intended).

We have an excellent TA (name not disclosed, or this Thread will be shut-down). Point being, as soon as we advised wanting to be aboard Regent for our 50th Anniversary--options were offered. This was about six months ago. Immediately booked Explorer for that segment. Wife and I will then spend a few days with her brother and his family near Miami following debarkation. So--no need to deal with often-chaotic situations at Regent's designated Miami Terminal.

Having been aboard Explorer twice-previously, of course we "jumped" on the March, 2020 cruise with our dear friends. Will celebrate that Anniversary on the Captain's Reception night.

Hope this situation is clarified with you, so we can "Meet and Mingle" at a CC Reception.

Regards,

GOARMY!

Well, at this point, all I can offer is YIKES. But--Situations will change in the 2+ years between now and 03/2020 LA embarkation.

I have no idea as to actual cancelation rates, but would guess 25% of those currently-booked will experience situations requiring changing cruise plans. Hopefully, that group will NOT include my wife and I. Of course, we purchase Travel Insurance, just-in-case.

Do not give up hope.

Regards,

GOARMY!

Noticed this last month and am concerned. IMO, there is no way both cruises are sold out.

I tried to book this cruise while on the Navigator 2 weeks ago. The cruise consultant said Miami told him it was an itinerary change but he didn't know why it was taking so long to fix the problem. I have been looking at this cruise daily since it was announced but waited to get OB booking credit. This and the previous Miami to LA were wait listed just before Christmas. My TA said it could also be a charter. I don't know what the answer is but I still want to book it with the Miami to Barcelona.

Appreciate all recent postings, particularly related to possible changes in itinerary, and a situation where a sold-out situation--two years in advance--may be related to a group Charter. Depends on what group is being chartered. This is based on previous situations--detailed on other Threads--when enjoyment can be diminished when sharing a relatively-small ship with a group inclined to late-night, and early-morning escapades.

Wife and I have experienced same in the 'Med and on one Alaska cruise. Interesting, and not in a positive way.

For sure, we will obtain updated info from our TA in this regard. Also, for sure, we will be aboard Explorer for that segment.

GOARMY!