Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Good Afternoon All,

S, the problem is that Helga came with a large wallet with several handbooks each as thick as a bible and being a bloke I thought “It’s only a bleedin’ car, why should I read all this stuff ...” And so I do not know what 80% of the controls do.

Consequently when the car went into the garage last, they like to fiddle and change everything and all the settings and so to make our journey worst neither of us could work out how to keep the windscreen from misting when the air con was on. So our journey was made somewhat more challenging with inside misting and outside rain and fog. I started reading the manual today and have discovered loads of trinkets and tricks, and trash that Helga has that I didn’t know about. Helga appears to he able to do everything including open heart surgery and keep your food cool.

Today’s reduced service lunch down here at a nice sunny seaside was lamb kofta with salad and red wine ....

04a5b5ff48c291f95ec8191679a72674.jpg

748b095d87032bbb3c42ecb5f815df52.jpg

d9cd41c24ab086bec0e96f79f61a2e5f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yummy lunch! Leftover duck will be on our dinner menu tonight.

Jeff, these new cars come with so much tech that it's staggering. I use some of it but most of it is set-and-forget. Sounds a bit scary if you can't defog the windscreen, though. Glad you've recovered from your ordeal!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks JP,

Well, all the manuals appear to be the gift that keeps on giving. If it keeps one of the storages cold, then all I need to do is to find a way of inserting a very long straw into a wine box and the journey is my oyster!

Only kidding .... :D

All,

Over the years, so many ask questions about visiting The Vatican. I have my own procedure which I have often shared, but it is extremely difficult to visit and be able to soak atmosphere but this is an idea it is worth traveling especialyto Rome for. Worth filing away at least. Note the video link - it is easy to miss.

The museums have announced a new exclusive tour – geared towards early birds with its 6 am start – that allows visitors to travel through the buildings with a very special staffer. The “clavigero”, or key keeper, will pass through the halls performing the “solemn rite” of opening the doors and turning on the lights. Using ancient irons keys, the key keeper opens door after door, leading from “the monumental entrance to the sacred door to the Sistine Chapel,” and will now be taking some lucky guests will be along for the experience.

The private “out of hours” guided tour, called Good Morning Vatican Museums, will see travellers enter spots like the Atrium of the Four Fates, the Simonetti Staircase, the Pio Clementino Museum, the Gallery of the Candelabra, the Gallery of the Tapestries, the Raphael Rooms, and more. Of course, as the Sistine Chapel is the highlight of many visits to the museums, the visitors will also head there to open to the doors, switch on the lights, a take a moment of contemplation and reflection – without the crowds that so often fill the stunning chamber. After that, guests will get to start their day right breakfast in the Courtyard of the Pinecone, which can be followed by a guided tour of the museums.

The intimate experience is limited to a maximum of 20 people and the tours run for one hour on Monday through Saturday. More information about the tours can be found on the official website.

“Out of hours” guided tour Good Morning Vatican Museums – Private - Vatican Museums

http://www.museivaticani.va

Read the full story

Greetings Coolers! You may well be getting tired of hearing about our lack of spring. Maybe not as tired as we are of dealing with it. We are expecting about 15 to 20 cms of snow this weekend with a dash of freezing rain added for seasoning. This is how I feel about it:

30653183_1668280269885664_2354128766722113536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7daf047816a7f4a10883ccfd45aeb774&oe=5B57B7E4

Have a great day all!

Mysty, maybe you should replace the escape key with the eject key!

Jeff, those pesce look like red snapper!

Beautiful composition of the entree. Yum.

Meanwhile back at mi casa, I still am dealing with this lingering illness. I have started dragging clothes out of the closets, and I find I am less enthusiastic just due to fatigue. I actually thought of bringing a long down coat, but decided against it, instead choosing a parka with zip out lining. I will take mittens or gloves and a hat. Such problems to focus on rather than aiming missles and ratcheting up tensions by our lost "leader". Air traffic controllers have been warning pilots to steer clear of airspace over the effected areas.

Seize the day all.

Delish! That looks really nice.

Mysty, I'm so sick of this weather too. It looks like we will stay above freezing, so just rain in the forecast here.

Yesterday it finally hit 50F/10C and we tried to go out for a short run. The first lap was ok but as we were starting the second, the sun disappeared behind a dark cloud, the cold wind started whipping, and we were downright miserable!

So the sibling invasion starts tomorrow. Hope we are prepared! Looking forward to seeing them, and the nieces/nephews. It will be chaos, but fun chaos. Hope we have enough wine...

Oh BTW. Booked tickets and hotel yesterday for a long weekend in Banff and Lake Louise for our anniversary. And suggestions in that area? We will stay at the Fairmont properties.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

J...that looks soooooo good! Love the chorus line of fish! :)

Spins....eject key would be much appreciated! Hope you feel better soon! Hard to get enthused when you are dragging in body and spirit! And yes, the rhetoric is getting old, tiresome and dangerous! And he seems clueless.

JP...hope it is just rain for you. Our snow removal service contract ended April 1. Any snow that falls will have to stay there until it melts. I'll see if I can come up with suggestions for Banff and Lake Louise. Assuming you will be staying at Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. They are beautiful hotels! And enjoy your family visit!

Hi everyone,

I'm 'back' after a hiatus to move from China to Vietnam. Spent four weeks on Phu Quoc and decided I didn't want to live there. Flew to Saigon... then down to Vung Tau where I spent over a month in a temporary 'Residence Hotel' - it was horrendous! I found my permanent residence by luck (a lot of footwork... and driving) in a small place with only seven units, three of which are occupied by my landlady and her two sisters. My apartment is big, absolutely unique and beautiful. It's on the side of the mountain directly under the lighthouse. It's close to, but isolated from the noise of Phan Chu Trinh Street. Within a three-minute walk are two pubs and a store carrying every imaginable 'western' food (all the stuff I couldn't get in China). I have a huge veranda/patio in the midst of orchid gardens. Today I went shopping - bought a Samsung 32" HD TV to use as a monitor (so I don't have to squint at my laptop anymore), computer speakers, an Electrolux toaster and a set of Visions cookware (to use in my new oven). 420-odd channels on TV (30 or so in English, not counting every imaginable 'sports channel'). It's coming together... slowly, but damn I hate moving!!!... LOL.

What time of year will you be visiting Banff and Lake Louise JP? During the summer a lot of students are employed by the hotels. Sometimes that can result in uneven service. They do try hard to keep things at the expected level though.

Depending on the weather there is the Columbia Icefield. We were thwarted on our attempt to get there due to snow in September. Directions And Driving Times To The Athabasca Glacier And Columbia Icefield. The Columbia Icefield is located on the Icefields Parkway/Hwy 93N that runs between Lake Louise and Jasper. Distance from Banff 195km, 2 hours 40 min. From Lake Louise 130km, 1 hour 40 min, from Jasper 105km 1 hour 25 min.

http://banffandbeyond.com/experience-one-of-the-worlds-most-accessible-glaciers/

Parker Ridge Trail is highly rated

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Parker-Ridge-near-Jasper-AB-1918

There is the Banff Gondola:

https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/attractions/banff-gondola/

From Chateau Lake Louise there is a trail that takes you up to the Mountainside Teahouse. The Lake Agnes Tea House is open from early June to October (Canadian Thanksgiving).

https://www.banfflakelouise.com/hiking/tea-houses

Have a great time!

Greetings Coolers! You may well be getting tired of hearing about our lack of spring. Maybe not as tired as we are of dealing with it. We are expecting about 15 to 20 cms of snow this weekend with a dash of freezing rain added for seasoning. This is how I feel about it:

30653183_1668280269885664_2354128766722113536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7daf047816a7f4a10883ccfd45aeb774&oe=5B57B7E4

Have a great day all!

I'm so very sorry, Mysty! We're actually supposed to have a warm weekend. I'll believe when I see it!

OOOO, Jeffy, that looks delicious! and even champers in a wine glass.....so proud of you....way to go! (giggle!)

Have a great day all!

Mysty, I don't know how you manage to keep so sanguine, . I know you are prepared for it to a degree but even so I take my hat off to you and all the others who still have snow and freezing rain. I have been moaning because it is a bit grey and drizzly here - I think I'll shut up about that now.

Keep warm and keep the blues away with a hot whiskey or two.

Rp

Thanks all for your messages of sympathy. Yes, we are accustomed to snow and freezing rain and can just about cope from December through March. When winter cascades over the boundaries of spring some of us (meaning me) get cranky. Definitely diving into a Rusty Nail later this pm. And RP....you can join in the grump over the grey and drizzly. Misery does love company! :)

Oh BTW. Booked tickets and hotel yesterday for a long weekend in Banff and Lake Louise for our anniversary. And suggestions in that area? We will stay at the Fairmont properties.

Finally, someone asks about something I can help with! I have been going to Banff ever since I was born.

Mysty's suggestions are good. Also when you're staying at the Banff Springs, there is a nice walk to Bow Falls from the hotel. You probably won't be able to get a tee time at the golf course (if you're golfers), but there are horseback riding excursions available. Mind the elk.

I would definitely recommend a day trip up to the Columbia Icefields. It's best if you have your own vehicle, and make an early start of it. Technically the highway goes all the way up to Jasper, but for a one day trip going to the Icefield's Centre is more realistic. You'll want to spend more time out of the car than it it. (There are bus tours too, but you don't strike me as the 'herd' type.)

Do not plan on eating in any sort of restaurant for lunch on your day trip up the Icefields Parkway though. The few places there are to eat are not very good and crowded with tourists. I would recommend you ask your Fairmont Hotel to provide you with a box lunch, or get something 'to go' from one of the many bistros in town, and then stop at one of the many picnic tables along the route and enjoy the food and the view. Our favourite stop is at Bow Lake.

It's a bit of a walk up to see Peyto Lake, but worth the view. Plan on spending the whole day doing this route.

While at Lake Louise you'll just want to partake of the scenery. Lots of trails around the lake that I know you'll enjoy, including the one to the Teahouse. You can also rent canoes. Definitely get a view room - it's worth it.

Now: for the important part: EATING. In Lake Louise there isn't as much choice as there is in Banff. But the food is good generally everywhere.

We have often said that it is impossible to get a really bad meal in Banff, but if you want to do so, eat at a hotel restaurant.

Unfortunately the Banff Springs is out of the 'centre' of town, so you might end up eating breakfast there. It's not bad, just not really 'Banff'. For breakfast the place to go is Melissa's.

For other meals our favourites include the Maple Leaf Grill, St. James Gate (for pub food), and the Magpie & Stump. (My choices are limited due to a gluten intolerance, but there are tonnes of great places to eat.)

(Bumpers used to have a good reputation, but not so much anymore. They've moved out of their iconic log building and are now in a hotel, so my warning about 'hotel restaurants' seems to be bearing out.)

Of course you'll want to do the Cave & Basin, and the gondola up Sulphur Mountain is always fun, if a bit 'touristy'.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Completely agree with MLeh on the Fairmont Hotel restaurants. Not the best. We didn't try the Post Hotel restaurant. We did go to St James Gate and enjoyed it. Also agree about the lake view room at Lake Louise. We made it to Peyto Lake before we had to turn back because of the weather. Unfortunately it was socked in with fog so the tricky climb up in shoes along the snowy incline did not work out for us.

Bill..your new home sounds wonderful! I'll bet you don't miss the cold too much! :) Hope you enjoy your new digs!

Thanks. It is. I don't. I will.

Now, I can complain about the heat. ;) Lately, it's been 25 C at night, going to 35 in the afternoons... but being on a peninsula surrounded by ocean, it's always breezy - nature's aircon. :D