Bergen Questions Answered 2018

Here's a fresh thread for all things Bergen in 2018. If anyone has any questions about visiting the city just fire away, and I'll do my best to help!

Check out the 2017 thread for loads of extra information.

There are some questions left on 2017 thread. You could ignore mine - moved to another hotel. Hopefully people will find you again :)

Thank you for the time you take to answer our questions!

There are some questions left on 2017 thread. You could ignore mine - moved to another hotel. Hopefully people will find you again :)

Thank you for the time you take to answer our questions!

Thanks for the heads up :)

I've just been over to help with the remaining questions :D

do they have a free shuttle from the port to centre of town??

Or are you allowed to walk out of the port area?

we have not been there for several years

thanks

Hi :)

That all depends on which berth your ship will be at. If you take a look at the port website schedule (link below) you can see where you'll be docked, then I can give you better info.

https://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsliste-cruise/

do they have a free shuttle from the port to centre of town??

Or are you allowed to walk out of the port area?

we have not been there for several years

thanks

You can walk out of the main cruise port (Skolten) and we recommend it except for those with mobility issues. The reason we suggest walking is that as you walk into town you will quickly reach the Bryggen Houses which are part of the charm of Bergen...not to mention the associated shops and eating venues. It is about 500 - 700 meters (yards) from the piers to that area.

If you dock at the other port area (which is on the other side of town) (this port is generally only used when the other port is full) you will have a free shuttle from the pier to port entrance since this is a commercial port where walking is not a safe option. From the port entrance most can easily walk into the center of town. I think this pier is called Jekteviken.

Hank

You can walk out of the main cruise port (Skolten) and we recommend it except for those with mobility issues. The reason we suggest walking is that as you walk into town you will quickly reach the Bryggen Houses which are part of the charm of Bergen...not to mention the associated shops and eating venues. It is about 500 - 700 meters (yards) from the piers to that area.

If you dock at the other port area (which is on the other side of town) (this port is generally only used when the other port is full) you will have a free shuttle from the pier to port entrance since this is a commercial port where walking is not a safe option. From the port entrance most can easily walk into the center of town. I think this pier is called Jekteviken.

Hank

Looks like the NCL Jade is in Jekteviken On Sept 2, 2018. So shuttle it is. ~Joyce

That all depends on which berth your ship will be at. If you take a look at the port website schedule (link below) you can see where you'll be docked, then I can give you better info.

https://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsliste-cruise/

Thanks looks like we dock at Bontelabo 2

but could not figure out where that is located in the Bergen harbour area

Last time I think we docked at Skolton Quay

Thanks looks like we dock at Bontelabo 2

but could not figure out where that is located in the Bergen harbour area

Last time I think we docked at Skolton Quay

Bontelabo is just around the corner from the Skolten terminal.

The exact location is 60.402628, 5.315531 if you want to check it out on a map. It's an easy and pleasant stroll (level) to the city centre past the historic waterfront at Bryggen :)

Bontelabo is just around the corner from the Skolten terminal.

The exact location is 60.402628, 5.315531 if you want to check it out on a map. It's an easy and pleasant stroll (level) to the city centre past the historic waterfront at Bryggen :)

thank you

I was not sure where the terminal was so that helps

Whoops, I posted this question in the old thread by mistake.

We will be staying at the Radisson Blu for one night after our cruise next month. What interesting restaurants would you recommend around there? Where do locals like to eat?

Also, we will be taking the train to Oslo. If you have taken this route, which side of the train do you prefer to sit on?

Thanks in advance!

Whoops, I posted this question in the old thread by mistake.

We will be staying at the Radisson Blu for one night after our cruise next month. What interesting restaurants would you recommend around there? Where do locals like to eat?

Also, we will be taking the train to Oslo. If you have taken this route, which side of the train do you prefer to sit on?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Twitchly, we will be staying at Radisson Blu after the same cruise you are taking clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Are you planing to walk from the ship to the hotel? I heard it is really close to the terminal.

Will follow your trip closely. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

P.S. Glad you found the current thread. I replied first on the old one.

Here's a fresh thread for all things Bergen in 2018. If anyone has any questions about visiting the city just fire away, and I'll do my best to help!

Check out the 2017 thread for loads of extra information.

We will be on the Azura and in Bergen on May 4th. It looks like we will be at the Bontelabo 2 dock from 6.00-14.15.

Do you think we will have time to do the Cable car or Funicular to get some good views, and then explore Bergen and the Bryggen?

Also, how likely is it at that time of year, to be able to get a clear view from those heights?

I know that tipping customs vary. Is it customary to tip a tour guide on a walking tour that has a fee. I know that it is customary when it is a free walking tour. Thank you in advance.

Hmm, the honest answer is I don't know, since I've never taken a walking tour in town. Day-to-day tipping here is a funny one; it's not assumed anywhere, but I do usually tip in a restaurant.

There are probably slightly different standards/expectations around tourist services, however if the tour is run by a legitimate company then you can be confident the guide is already being paid a sensible living wage. It's always nice to add a little extra of course if someone goes 'above and beyond'. Maybe there are others on here who can provide first-hand experience and feedback on this.

We will be on the Azura and in Bergen on May 4th. It looks like we will be at the Bontelabo 2 dock from 6.00-14.15.

Do you think we will have time to do the Cable car or Funicular to get some good views, and then explore Bergen and the Bryggen?

Also, how likely is it at that time of year, to be able to get a clear view from those heights?

There should be time for either of those, plus a little exploring, but if you want to take it super easy then the funicular up Fløyen will be your best bet. The station is right in the city and if you're docked at Bontelabo this is easily walkable, with a stroll past the historic waterfront 'Bryggen' on the way. Heading out to the cable car up Ulriken means catching a bus first, so this is a slightly longer activity.

Asking about weather in Bergen is pretty much impossible, but early May can be a really lovely time of year here, so your chances of a clear day are not too bad (by Bergen standards)! :)

Hmm, the honest answer is I don't know, since I've never taken a walking tour in town. Day-to-day tipping here is a funny one; it's not assumed anywhere, but I do usually tip in a restaurant.

There are probably slightly different standards/expectations around tourist services, however if the tour is run by a legitimate company then you can be confident the guide is already being paid a sensible living wage. It's always nice to add a little extra of course if someone goes 'above and beyond'. Maybe there are others on here who can provide first-hand experience and feedback on this.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It is a 3 hour walking tour through a local touring company.

We're on Viking Sky disembarking on Saturday April 28th, the day of the City Marathon. Any advice for us? We dock at Skolten Syd 3 and planned on walking to our hotel on Vågsallmenningen 16. I guess it might be tricky navigating with luggage, spectactors, and runners!

We're on Viking Sky disembarking on Saturday April 28th, the day of the City Marathon. Any advice for us? We dock at Skolten Syd 3 and planned on walking to our hotel on Vågsallmenningen 16. I guess it might be tricky navigating with luggage, spectactors, and runners!

Hi Deirdre :)

If you're heading from Skolten to Vågsallmenningen during the morning of the marathon then crowds will be inevitable. It could get a little frustrating for you with the suitcases, but the race route will have you completely 'hemmed in', and there won't be any way to avoid it! There will be managed pedestrian crossings to get you across the roads as required though.

My only advice would be to expect to go slow, and enjoy the atmosphere :D

Bergen & Oslo question(s)

We arrive in Bergen on May 15th and have booked a hotel for 4 nights. We then have 2 days allocated for travel to Oslo where we have 2 days booked before travelling to Brussels. Any suggestions on things to see (day trips?) during our 4 Bergen days and recommendations for our 2 "free travel" days would be appreciated. We are planing on booking the train to Oslo after we arrive in Bergen and are open to an overnight stop.

We'll be in Bergen from 8am to 5pm, arriving on the Norwegian Jade in June. Would love to rent a car and Drive to Hardangerfjord. Do you think it we could do the trip in the allotted time and that it would be worth it. Or, would you recommend staying and enjoying Bergen for the day. Thoughts?

looks to be about a 2 hr trip each way

you would need to be back onboard by 4:30pm

only you can decide if it is worth the time for you

Personally if you have not been to Bergen before I would enjoy the area

JMO

I'll be arriving on 9/3 via the Celebrity Silhouette. One of the excursions they offer is Land and Sea, where you take a boat ride to the Lysefjord and then they drop you off in Bryggen. My question to you is "is the Lysefjord" worth it? It is only a 3.5 hour trip.

Also if we go up the funicular can we walk down and see the Troll Forest?

Thanks in advance. I love reading your responses.

Bergen & Oslo question(s)

We arrive in Bergen on May 15th and have booked a hotel for 4 nights. We then have 2 days allocated for travel to Oslo where we have 2 days booked before travelling to Brussels. Any suggestions on things to see (day trips?) during our 4 Bergen days and recommendations for our 2 "free travel" days would be appreciated. We are planing on booking the train to Oslo after we arrive in Bergen and are open to an overnight stop.

Hei :)

Well the one thing that jumps out at me is that you'll be in Bergen for 17th May, which is the Norwegian national day. This is a really big deal here, with everyone partying (mostly dressed in traditional bunads). There are parades through town and a fantastic (and very busy) atmosphere. It's a really special thing, and my advice would be to set aside the 17th as a day to soak up the party atmosphere and see Bergen at its best!

For your other days I would recommend the standard mountain walks and fjord trips on sightseeing boats. If you enjoy art then the Kode galleries are great, and can be a great plan on rainy days.

The train to Oslo is lovely. There are places you could add in an overnight stop, but unless you're looking to stay for a couple of days and hike then I'd say you're better just having another day in either Bergen or Oslo :D

We'll be in Bergen from 8am to 5pm, arriving on the Norwegian Jade in June. Would love to rent a car and Drive to Hardangerfjord. Do you think it we could do the trip in the allotted time and that it would be worth it. Or, would you recommend staying and enjoying Bergen for the day. Thoughts?

It all depends how ambitious you're feeling. You can drive out to parts of Hardangerfjord in around 90 mins, which would leave you a few hours to drive around and explore and time to get back. Also, the walk from your ship through town to collect a car would still give you a little taste of Bergen.

That said, if you're after a more relaxed day then Bergen itself has plenty to offer, and I'd probably lean towards that as a safer bet. All a matter of personal preferences, but I'd say your Hardangerfjord plan would just about be do-able. Plus the scenery there is beautiful :D