Koper to Piran day trip?

We arrive on the NCL Spirit in July, in Koper from 8 am to 5 pm. We'd like to take a short day trip to Piran, have lunch there and then back to Koper where we will explore a bit and head back to the ship. I'm wondering if anyone has taken the public bus to Piran? Any ideas on where to catch it? Also, what stop on the way back would put us close to the old town for an easy meander back to the port?

Is there a better alternative to the public bus? We are a family of four so cost is a factor. I did read about a type of hop on hop off bus that goes to Piran. Has anyone done this and found it worthwhile?

Any and all suggestions welcome. We leave for Rome in 2 weeks so am trying to sort out final plans for some of the ports and this one is a head-scratcher!!

We went to Piran on our own on the local bus. Very easy to do, but the bus stop was a little more of a challenge to find. You can ask at the tourist deck on the dock and they can give you a map showing where the bus stop is. It's past the Hotel Koper. We also pulled up the schedule for the Koper local bus service on the net before we left. Depending on time of year there are 1-3 buses per hour and it is around 3.10 euro each way. Here is the exact address for the bus station: Kolodvorska cesta 11. Avtobusni Poastaja. Busstaion in Piran is 6330 Piran (on waterfront, 6 min walk to main square)

Piran is at the end of the line and is very lovely. Great place for a seafood lunch right on the water.

Lovely place to visit and we found the bus stop in Koper quite easily as the Tourist Info office e-mailed us a timetable and map showing the easier (but a little longer) option from the port to the stop. It was still only 5-10 minutes depending on your walking speed.

Returning, we got off at the same stop but instead of skirting around the old town we wandered through it and arrived back at the elevator and stairs.

I find the "search this forum" option a great way to find info on specific places. Just along to the right from OTHER MEDITERRANEAN PORTS you will find that box. Simply insert the word Piran and all previous threads with that word in them appear in the results and you can browse at leisure whilst reading what others had to say.

This was one of them:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2449883&highlight=piran

We used the "tourist" bus to Piran (2 years ago). They were right on the quayside selling timed departures. Not really a HOHO bus- it made one stop for photo opportunities on the way there, gve us 2 hours in Piran, and drove through a resort area on the way back. It's 24 euros per adult now (gone up since we went!) but was a lovely trip. This is their website http://www.istranka.si/en/shore-excursions-koper/english-hop-on-hop-off/

Koper is small, you won't need much time to see the old town.

Thank you for the info! We'll stop at the booth to get a map when we arrive, but just in case I will plug the address of the bus stop into google maps and create my own to have on hand. I am very excited to be going to Piran. It looks just lovely and seems like a nice, leisurely way to spend part of the day. As Edinburgher said, when we come back we will walk through the old town and try to plan for at least an hour to do so before reboarding our ship. Two weeks from today we will be in Toronto getting ready to head to Rome. So excited!

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the info! We'll stop at the booth to get a map when we arrive, but just in case I will plug the address of the bus stop into google maps and create my own to have on hand. I am very excited to be going to Piran. It looks just lovely and seems like a nice, leisurely way to spend part of the day. As Edinburgher said, when we come back we will walk through the old town and try to plan for at least an hour to do so before reboarding our ship. Two weeks from today we will be in Toronto getting ready to head to Rome. So excited!

We are planning on doing the same next year. Would be interested in hearing about your experience after you return, when you have time.

• 2 months later...

I hope you had a nice cruise. How did you finally get the bus? Where did you go? What time did you depart and return. Any information is helpful, thanks.