So much coughing!

WholeNewWorld

I'm on Oceania insignia right now waiting for my tour to start. There must be half the room coughing around me. Ugh!

Are they taking the flu on to this small island with them? Is it just smokers cough? (There are a lot of smokers on this cruise)

I feel like I should apologize to this small country for the sick people coming to their home. :(

When people are sick they should stay in their room and be considerate of others.

So at what point does this advice kick in or finish?

Many coughs and cold are contagious before the person even knows they have it and similarly they will eventually move past bring infectious

Of course good hygiene would include covering ones mouth when coughing, washing hands and avoiding touching others eg shaking hands - but surely it’s a bit over the top to ask people to stay in their cabins for a cold or cough - Noro virus I can understand confinement to ones cabin

Let’s face it and be honest - who answers the questions honestly about on embarkation about having a cold or fever? ....I’m pretty sure many bring coughs and colds etc on board

Coughing seems to be a standard on lengthier cruises. Pax on the 2016 WC on the Crystal Serenity came to refer to it as the Crystal Cough. I was one of those coughers. I never developed any other cold symptoms (except toward the end, when I really did catch a cold), and the cough stopped when I got off the ship in port.

That was not the first ship on which I'd seen that phenomenon. My theory is that you are hearing from people with asthma and/or mold sensitivities. I have always suspected the air conditioning system. But you are, by definition, on a vessel in a watery environment. There will be mold.

Yes, on a World Cruise you have that added challenge that many people continue on for the next cruise as opposed to when most people get off. So if some are still contagious newly embarking guests can get whatever they have and it continues. I've been on some World Cruises where for most of the World Cruise it continues.

With that said the flu outbreak this year has added another challenge. On many of the Cruise Line Board I am seeing many people complaining of illnesses going around and some have similar names; Carnival Crud, Holland America Crud and on many of the board there are five to ten day cruises people are on.

Remember winter time is also the prime time for most of this.

I do believe when someone knows they are sick that they should just try to stay afar from others even warning folks who come up to them that they are sick and avoid hugging and handshakes. I do realize that some people are contagious before they are sick.

This is the challenges of travel.

A friend of mine went to Florida for a few days and the night she got home she immediately had signs of the flu.

We are flying right now as I post this and that is clearly a place to catch germs and probably more so then most other places.

Oh well. It's part of the experience.

Keith