1 Hour and 12 Minutes in Toronto?

John99

1 Hr 12 Minutes in Toronto (YYZ)?

We booked Air Canada DTW (Detroit)to YQB (Quebec) on October 5th, 2018 (Friday) with a connection in Toronto with a lay over of -- 1 hour and 12 minutes.

Will we have enough time to clear immigration & customs plus security?

Do we have to claim our luggage and then re-check our bags after clearance?

Will we have enough time to get to the gate?

Flight info:

Air Canada7362 DTW (10:20am) >> YYZ (11:32am) -- terminal #1

Air Canada1792 YYZ (12:50pm) >> YQB (2:20pm) -- terminal #?

John

It would be pretty tight, and really depends on the number of inbound non-domestic flights. But you're also coming in mid-day which is generally less busy. I don't know for certain but don't believe you will have to pick up your bag.

I'd suggest checking with your TA - or call Air Canada with these questions.

We booked Air Canada DTW (Detroit)to YQB (Quebec) on October 5th, 2018 (Friday) with a connection in Toronto with a lay over of -- 1 hour and 12 minutes.

Flight info:

How do you make that 1:12? I think it's 1:18. The DTW-YYZ flight is 1:12 in duration, not the YYZ connection time.

Anyway, you've booked it already. What if the answer to questions 1 and 3 is "no"? It would have been easier to advise if you'd asked before booking.

Having flown through Toronto a number of times I would have personally avoided a connection that tight. On a good day it's doable but too many things that could go wrong. At least there are a number of flights later in that day that could get you there if there is room on them.

Good luck.

1 Hr 12 Minutes in Toronto (YYZ)?

Flight info:

John

All Air Canada and Star Alliance flights operate from Terminal 1. WestJet and most non-star airlines operate from Terminal 3.

Coming from the US and connecting onto a domestic flight in Canada.

You will go through a quick connection process:

- Baggage will automatically be transferred to your connecting flight.

- Canadian boarder control will check you passport etc. This is in an area for connecting passengers, not the same general area for Toronto destined passengers. It is much faster.

- You will not go through security again.

Tight but I don't think it is unreasonable. If your inbound flight is late, then you will likely need to be rebooked. Honestly, you run that risk regardless of how tight your connection is.

you can check the connections procedure so you will be prepared

https://www.torontopearson.com/Mobile/ConnectingGuide/Default.aspx

Wrong instructions. Odd you would expect the airport authority to stay up to date on their own processes but clearly not. The new process has been in use for just over a year.

They changed the process so now you don't need to claim and check bags. You also don't go through security again. The one odd part of the new process is the airport was never designed for this expedited process so you actually end up having to take a shuttle bus from the international area to the domestic pier. However it drops you directly into the departure area with no extra security.

Air Canada has the correct instructions:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/toronto-pearson-international-airport/us-ca.html

Wrong instructions. Odd you would expect the airport authority to stay up to date on their own processes but clearly not. The new process has been in use for just over a year.

Sorry

I guess I should not bother looking in this forum

Thanks

Thanks for the comments from everyone.

Today, I know more than just a few days ago.

Typically, I try to have at least a 2+ hour layover when traveling. But in this case I missed the boat. Why? I keep changing my departure time because of better pricing with little regard for the layover time. Live and learn. If I rebook an earlier flight (which is available) I go from a $304pp fare to $880pp -- Air Canada.

Em-sk I read the instruction from Air Canada with interest. Very clear. The thing that caught me by surprise was the shuttle bus to domestic gates. Does this run on a regular schedule? Is it reliable?

Question: How fare is Canadian Passport Control from Air Canada gates?

Thank, John

Sorry

I guess I should not bother looking in this forum

Thanks

Don't be sorry, it is the airport authority that is putting the wrong information on their web site.

I went through the new process about a year ago for the first time and was pleasantly surprised when transferring between the US each coast and a flight back to Vancouver.

Thanks for the comments from everyone.

Today, I know more than just a few days ago.

Typically, I try to have at least a 2+ hour layover when traveling. But in this case I missed the boat. Why? I keep changing my departure time because of better pricing with little regard for the layover time. Live and learn. If I rebook an earlier flight (which is available) I go from a $304pp fare to $880pp -- Air Canada.

Em-sk I read the instruction from Air Canada with interest. Very clear. The thing that caught me by surprise was the shuttle bus to domestic gates. Does this run on a regular schedule? Is it reliable?

Question: How fare is Canadian Passport Control from Air Canada gates?

Thank, John

From my experience the small regional jets from the US typically go into or out of gates 84-98. (That is the pier on the right side). Thouse gates are ground loading. I would expect it is about about a 5-10 minute walk to get to customs agents, about where the red symbol labeled "Transboarder" is.

The buses are quite frequent and the trip is very short. I think it just keeps doing a loop all day. They are those Cobus style airport buses that you see in many of the European airports. So extra wide, and able to hold a lot of people.

Just past customs, you take an escalator down to ground level and onto a bus that takes you over to the domestic pier. You get dropped off near the red "Domestic" symbol and up the escalator, it is at the center of domestic departures.

Air Canada is pretty much the only domestic operator out of Terminal 1. So you could be on any of the domestic gates. There are moving walkways etc.