Boston Port - Sights to Walk To

Rebels82

Good advice, Carol! Thanks. I am filing this for next year.:cool:

Keep me posted Ginny. I'm actually going to take my first cruise from Boston in Sep! I've done Boston as a port day and have disembarked in Boston, but never set sail from Boston.

Are there cab stands at black falcon pier? Would uber be easier? How would you find a cab to get back to the pier? Again, would uber be easier? We'll be in boston on july 4 if that complicates the question.

Yes

Maybe

Easily

Perhaps

It would if you are planning to go anywhere near the Esplanade, where the concert is held

Yes

Maybe

Easily

Perhaps

It would if you are planning to go anywhere near the Esplanade, where the concert is held

Thanks. Just looking to get from the pier to , say either the North end or Aquarium area. The ship has a shuttle, but it costs $20 round trip. That's $60 round trip for us. Pretty sure a cab would be a lower cost option.

There is also a ferry near the cruise port that goes to Charlestown and gives you a beautiful view of Boston from the harbor. Charlestown is at the foot of Bunker Hill, and the ferry drops you near the U. S. S. Constitution “Old Ironsides” and the start of the Freedom Trail. Lots of awesome sights are walking distance from there.

does anyone know how far it is from where Anthem docks to the ferry port? - walkable?

does anyone know how far it is from where Anthem docks to the ferry port? - walkable?

It's 1.9 miles and is walkable.

If you walk up Seaport Blvd, you can make a right when you hit the water (Hunt's Point Channel), cross the pedestrians only bridge (Northern Ave), and take the steps down to the Boardwalk along the water to Long Wharf for the Charlestown water taxi. Coming back you can walk along Atlantic Ave (Rose Kennedy Greenway)

• 4 weeks later...
There's nothing sacred about walking every inch of the Freedom Trail. It's just a suggested walking route for tourists that goes past the historical sites that are nestled between the more modern buildings.

If you want to see the Constitution, I suggest you Uber to that site first to do most of the Trail backwards. Take the MBTA water taxi from the Constitution to Long Wharf to get an upper harbor cruise for $3.50/pp. Walk through Christopher Columbus Park into the North End and pick up the Trail backwards to Faneuil Hall continuing on through downtown to Boston Common. From there you can walk back to the port, take the Red Line and Silver Line from Park St. back to the port for $2.75/pp, or Uber back to the port. IMO the walk between the port and Boston Common and between the Constitution and the North End is not that interesting.

Take a look at the map and post back with questions. https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/pdfs/NPS%20BOST%20Map%20Jan%202013.pdf

This is really valuable information. Thank you. We're not sailing in to Boston, but we'll be visiting for the first time in August for the weekend.

Planing to explore the city with family after departure of the cruise in mid August. Anyone know if we can check in our luggages to Southwest earlier of the day before we go around the city? Or can I leave the luggage at the cruise port by any chance? Our flight is not until 9 in the evening. Thx u in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so you walk about a block to get the trolley. Where exactly? A block could be in any direction. A street/intersection would be very helpful. I'm probably going to buy tickets ahead of time for our Oct cruise but would like to know where the stop is near the port and also where the ticket booth is.

Okay, so you walk about a block to get the trolley. Where exactly? A block could be in any direction. A street/intersection would be very helpful. I'm probably going to buy tickets ahead of time for our Oct cruise but would like to know where the stop is near the port and also where the ticket booth is.

I am researching this tonight for my late September stop in Boston. Here is some info I found about Old Town Trolley Tours. First, this is directly from the map on the website:

https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/map

Massport/Black Falcon Cruise Ship Terminal

11 Drydock Ave, Boston, MA 02210, USA Exit the cruise terminal, turn left and go to the end of the parking lot; you'll see a white tent there.

A huge difference I have found is that the excursion offered through Royal C does NOT include the HOP ON/ HOP OFF option. It is just the 1.75 hour tour according to the description. If you purchase online through the trolley tours site, it's a few dollars cheaper and it includes the HOHO option along with admission to Old State House Museum and the Dreamland Wax Museum. Seems like a much better deal to me since I'd like to get off and explore some of the sights!

I'm still learning a lot for my upcoming cruise, but I hope this has helped!

I am researching this tonight for my late September stop in Boston. Here is some info I found about Old Town Trolley Tours. First, this is directly from the map on the website:

https://www.trolleytours.com/boston/map

Massport/Black Falcon Cruise Ship Terminal

11 Drydock Ave, Boston, MA 02210, USA Exit the cruise terminal, turn left and go to the end of the parking lot; you'll see a white tent there.

A huge difference I have found is that the excursion offered through Royal C does NOT include the HOP ON/ HOP OFF option. It is just the 1.75 hour tour according to the description. If you purchase online through the trolley tours site, it's a few dollars cheaper and it includes the HOHO option along with admission to Old State House Museum and the Dreamland Wax Museum. Seems like a much better deal to me since I'd like to get off and explore some of the sights!

I am looking at this exact option on our Holland America cruise. HAL offers an excursion for $50 which does the 1 3/4 hour ride around town first and THEN you can move over to the Hop On Hop Off option OR return to the ship (same price by the way). So, you might want to research the Royal C excursion a bit more to see if it matches the HAL one. If not, I definitely would just purchase the Old Town Trolley town (for $40 online). Only bad thing, is no refunds on the Old Towne tour (have one year to use) if the ship skips the port or weather is bad, etc.

I am looking at this exact option on our Holland America cruise. HAL offers an excursion for $50 which does the 1 3/4 hour ride around town first and THEN you can move over to the Hop On Hop Off option OR return to the ship (same price by the way). So, you might want to research the Royal C excursion a bit more to see if it matches the HAL one. If not, I definitely would just purchase the Old Town Trolley town (for $40 online). Only bad thing, is no refunds on the Old Towne tour (have one year to use) if the ship skips the port or weather is bad, etc.

You could purchase the OTT tix the same day alternatively.