Woodwind Tours or Klein Bonaire

mrsdanielle

Good day,

My mom and I will be taking our third cruise with RC in December, 2018!

I've researched all our destinations thoroughly and have booked or in the process of booking all of our excursions; however, I can't decide what to do in Bonaire! Note: we're in port from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.

The reason for my indecision is due to my mom, who'll be 66 when we sail. She's quite mobile, but I worry about her safety aboard Woodwind's boat. At times she can be unsteady on her feet, so naturally I worry about her having an incident and harming herself. In addition, she likes to snorkel from the beach, and isn't really comfortable in deep water...I assume that all the snorkeling will be done in at least 15 to 20 feet of water? I just don't think she'd be up for this excursion - anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions?

Her safety and comfort are extremely important to me, so I want to ensure this tour would be okay for her. BTW - every other excursion I've booked is perfect for her; however, this is the ONE thing this entire cruise I'd like to do for myself. Plus, I'm footing the bill for the entire holiday, so I feel entitled to something special for me. :Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

So with that being said, I'm thinking of taking the morning tour offered from 8:30 to 11:30, and then hopefully hoping over to Klein Bonaire or Plaza Beach Resort with mom for a couple of hours? Does this seem reasonable? I'm fine if we only get a couple of hours on Klein Bonaire, I just want to be back in the port area no later than 5! RC offers a water taxi to the island, but the latest departure time is 11:30, so we'd have to book through a different company.

eagerly waiting your responses..!

We are fresh back from our ABC cruise, and Woodwind was the highlight of the trip.

There are two snorkel stops off Klein Bonaire. Both were amazing! There is also a photographer who takes some amazing photos, and if you are interested in purchasing, bring a little extra cash. The staff on board are incredibly helpful and accommodating. If your mom isn't comfortable in deeper water, they have life jackets, pool noodles, etc., available to use. If your mom wears glasses, they also have prescription masks. They also have full suits, rash guards, head coverings, socks available. All these at no additional charge. If your mom gets off at the first stop, and decides it is not for her, she can remain on the boat no problem.

in regards to moving about the boat. There isn't much in the way of hand rails. However, if you sit as close to the rear as possible, it will mean less movement. It is a ladder on the back, and your guide will remove your fins prior to climbing up. The kind folks on board will take your hand and assist you. To get in, some used the ladder. I just slid my bum off the back.

If you contact Dee at Woodwind with your concerns, I am sure she will be able to answer any other questions you may have. Dee, Ulf, and crew members are all top notch.

I agree that on our trip to the ABC islands last week Woodwind was also the highlight. Quite possibly the highlight of many many caribbean visits. It's THAT good.

I think your plan to do Woodwind alone for the morning trip and then plan something for you and your mom in the afternoon is a good one. I can't see going over the Klein Bonaire for the afternoon though- there's nothing there other than snorkeling- and it seemed like it might be tough to snorkel from the land there (as opposed to from a boat like Woodwind does)- as you'd have to enter over really sharp shallow coral. I would think that would be hard to do without damaging it? But maybe there are places somewhere along there where you can enter. The snorkeling there (KIein Bonaire where Woodwind takes you) was the best I've ever experienced.

We are fresh back from our ABC cruise, and Woodwind was the highlight of the trip.

There are two snorkel stops off Klein Bonaire. Both were amazing! There is also a photographer who takes some amazing photos, and if you are interested in purchasing, bring a little extra cash. The staff on board are incredibly helpful and accommodating. If your mom isn't comfortable in deeper water, they have life jackets, pool noodles, etc., available to use. If your mom wears glasses, they also have prescription masks. They also have full suits, rash guards, head coverings, socks available. All these at no additional charge. If your mom gets off at the first stop, and decides it is not for her, she can remain on the boat no problem.

in regards to moving about the boat. There isn't much in the way of hand rails. However, if you sit as close to the rear as possible, it will mean less movement. It is a ladder on the back, and your guide will remove your fins prior to climbing up. The kind folks on board will take your hand and assist you. To get in, some used the ladder. I just slid my bum off the back.

If you contact Dee at Woodwind with your concerns, I am sure she will be able to answer any other questions you may have. Dee, Ulf, and crew members are all top notch.

That you for your input!

I agree that on our trip to the ABC islands last week Woodwind was also the highlight. Quite possibly the highlight of many many caribbean visits. It's THAT good.

I think your plan to do Woodwind alone for the morning trip and then plan something for you and your mom in the afternoon is a good one. I can't see going over the Klein Bonaire for the afternoon though- there's nothing there other than snorkeling- and it seemed like it might be tough to snorkel from the land there (as opposed to from a boat like Woodwind does)- as you'd have to enter over really sharp shallow coral. I would think that would be hard to do without damaging it? But maybe there are places somewhere along there where you can enter. The snorkeling there (KIein Bonaire where Woodwind takes you) was the best I've ever experienced.

Thank you for your input! I’m glad so many on this board have had such positive experiences with Woodwind.

So what we’ve decided is this: mom and I will go exploring Bonaire in the morning. With a bit of luck, i’m Sure she’ll find a beach club that she can enjoy on her own. I plan on taking woodwind’s afternoon tour, Once my tour is complete, i’ll Pick up mom at the beach club and then we’ll return to the ship!

😆

• 3 weeks later...

Woodwind is OUTSTANDING! We've gone with them three times (my husband won't even consider anyone else). They take wonderful care of you.

We've also done Klein Bonaire on our own, once on the water taxi thru the ship (that was on our first visit and we didn't know any better!) and the second time by just walking down to the taxi pier and hopping on. The problem with KB is that there are absolutely NO facilities there. There may be a jug of water and some paper cups at the little canopy at the "pier" but that's it. And NO shade. It can be difficult getting in the water, but there is a break in the coral where you can get in and then you drift with the current back to the pier area. It's great, but you have to have your own equipment, or rent it ahead of time I guess, and not need any facilities or shade. I've read that you can have the water taxi drop you off at the spot where you can start the drift, but we haven't done that.

Go with Dee and Woodwind. You can't go wrong. BTW - the "snack" someone referred to is actually a meal, and a very tasty one!

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on the Woodwind 4 times (love Dee) and always enjoyed our trip. But somebody with mobility problems would have to be extremely careful on the boat and probably stay back in the Cockpit area. Walking around the boat required keeping one's balance. Some seniors (and I am a senior) might also have problems using the ladder to get back on the boat...although Dee and her crew always offer a helping hand.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
We have been on the Woodwind 4 times (love Dee) and always enjoyed our trip. But somebody with mobility problems would have to be extremely careful on the boat and probably stay back in the Cockpit area. Walking around the boat required keeping one's balance. Some seniors (and I am a senior) might also have problems using the ladder to get back on the boat...although Dee and her crew always offer a helping hand.

Hank

Hank, I am in agreement with you. I will be 63 and dh 70 next year and I am very reluctant to return to Woodwind. We had an amazing time a couple of years ago. The best snorkeling ever and the service and food was outstanding. But, my husband struggled a bit and I'm almost certain he would this time. They only have a typical sailboat, very thin rope around the sides and narrow to walk, but people are helpful. It was outstanding though, so I am struggling. I was hoping that going to Klein Bonaire would've been the answer.

Also, we were there in January (it tends to be windier) and this could've been a fluke, but they had to cancel the afternoon sail as it was just so windy. We were really bobbing in the water. Just another something to think about.

I've booked Woodwind but thinking about going Klein Bonaire instead. We are pretty seasoned snorkelers and always bring our own equipment.

I've heard that you can just walk up the beach a ways then drift back to where you started. Not sure how far out you need to go though.

Cheaper to go on our own. Don't really care about the sailing part, just want to get some great snorkeling in.

I've booked Woodwind but thinking about going Klein Bonaire instead. We are pretty seasoned snorkelers and always bring our own equipment.

I've heard that you can just walk up the beach a ways then drift back to where you started. Not sure how far out you need to go though.

Cheaper to go on our own. Don't really care about the sailing part, just want to get some great snorkeling in.

This is what I was hoping for too. If you go before next April, would you please report back with what you did? We have our own equipment too. This would be much nicer. Wish they had a place to go that had a few amenities too.

We are going in October so I'll let you know what we did. I'd prefer to just go to the island but not sure which my wife will want to do. She usually trusts me to book everything :)

We are not really excursion people. Will usually rent a car on the islands to just go explore on our own.

We are going in October so I'll let you know what we did. I'd prefer to just go to the island but not sure which my wife will want to do. She usually trusts me to book everything :)

We are not really excursion people. Will usually rent a car on the islands to just go explore on our own.

Sounds good!

I think is a smart move for you guys. We went with Woodward last year and we were seasoned snorklers but felt we could of had a better go at it on our own and saved $.

Hank, I am in agreement with you. I will be 63 and dh 70 next year and I am very reluctant to return to Woodwind. We had an amazing time a couple of years ago. The best snorkeling ever and the service and food was outstanding. But, my husband struggled a bit and I'm almost certain he would this time. They only have a typical sailboat, very thin rope around the sides and narrow to walk, but people are helpful. It was outstanding though, so I am struggling. I was hoping that going to Klein Bonaire would've been the answer.

Also, we were there in January (it tends to be windier) and this could've been a fluke, but they had to cancel the afternoon sail as it was just so windy. We were really bobbing in the water. Just another something to think about.

Thank you for your candid review. I definitely feel I made the right choice, i’ll partake in the morning excursion whist mom is relaxing at a beach club. There’s just no way she’d be comfortable navigating that boat ! We have lots of other beach days planned so she’ll have more opportunities to

Do a bit of snorkeling from the shore.

If there’s a few fish and the seas are calm , she’ll be happy as a clam!

Thank you for your candid review. I definitely feel I made the right choice, i’ll partake in the morning excursion whist mom is relaxing at a beach club. There’s just no way she’d be comfortable navigating that boat ! We have lots of other beach days planned so she’ll have more opportunities to

Do a bit of snorkeling from the shore.

If there’s a few fish and the seas are calm , she’ll be happy as a clam!

You will enjoy it and she will be much more relaxed. Enjoy and safe travels.