Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Booked a studio on The Bliss! Sailing September 30 2019, Vancouver to Los Angeles. First time cruising solo and super excited to be going on the Bliss.

I'm booked on this cruise as well as the Pacific Coastal for this September (same dates as 2019). I'm from Illinois but have two sons living in LA so it's a good excuse to see them after the cruise!

Just out of interest regarding the studios on NCL, i have seen many videos of them on Youtube and they look right up my street.

One thing though, i have not seen on any of these videos, anywhere to sit other than the bed. Are there any chairs in these cabins so one can sit and read a book, or is it the bed only? For me this would be a dealbreaker, regards.

Just out of interest regarding the studios on NCL, i have seen many videos of them on Youtube and they look right up my street.

One thing though, i have not seen on any of these videos, anywhere to sit other than the bed. Are there any chairs in these cabins so one can sit and read a book, or is it the bed only? For me this would be a dealbreaker, regards.

There is not, the only seating besides the bed is a pull-out vanity stool. I think the argument in favor is that you have the studio lounge at your disposal, which on my 3 solo trips in the studios is typically quiet and has nice seating for reading (or doing my sudoku and crossword puzzles)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a little bench by the vanity. So that is something. I have visited a studio cabin. It is small, but has everything you need.....and there is the lounge.

There is not, the only seating besides the bed is a pull-out vanity stool. I think the argument in favor is that you have the studio lounge at your disposal, which on my 3 solo trips in the studios is typically quiet and has nice seating for reading (or doing my sudoku and crossword puzzles)

There is a little bench by the vanity. So that is something. I have visited a studio cabin. It is small, but has everything you need.....and there is the lounge.

Thanks for the information.

A couple of other questions regarding the studios on NCL, if you guys dont mind.

I am assuming there will be cabins above, at the rear, underneath and 2 cabins either side, with the lounge outside your door? Are the cabins well insulated for noise or are you going to have problems having a afternoon nap?

Are there usb ports in the studios and do the cabins have European electrical sockets?

And finally can you order room service in the studios like all the other cabins, thanks.

I can only speak for studios on Breakaway and Escape, but to answer your questions:

- None of the cabins exit directly into the lounge, but in hallways just like any other cabin. There are then doors at the end of the hall to either stairs into the lounge or the lounge itself. Noise was not an issue in any of the studio cabins I stayed in. Check out the deck plans for each ship and this will make more sense.

- Escape and Breakaway do not have USB ports, and you’ll need a converter for European sockets.

- Yes you can order room service, same as other cabins. And same as other cabins you’ll be charged a room service fee for any orders besides the “door hanger menu” breakfast

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Hello- going on the Escape 9/16 to Canada New England- for those with studios you can always try calling the week before and seeing if you can upgrade to a balcony - it worked for me the last 3 times; sometimes there are cabins left that are being sold with no single supplement and you would only pay the difference between your original booking and the current price. You can still attend the solo gatherings even if not in a studio.

I did the studio once which was fine- but why not have the extra space. Also, recently I was able to pick up a second promo.

Hi there! First time cruiser here, going solo on the EPIC in February 2020 on the Southern Caribbean itinerary from San Juan. Any tips or suggestions for a first time solo?

Smile; cultivate a positive, open attitude; friendly people attract friendly people.

I've done, and love both. Sailing solo has its own benefits. Go and do whatever, whenever. Dine with others, or if "peopled out" eat alone. Mingle or be alone, it's your choice. Be prepared to hear..."You're so brave" or some such remarks; it caught me off guard the first time, after that I'd just smile.

Just booked Studio Balcony cabin on RCI's new Spectrum of the Seas. Dubai to Singapore 4 May 2019

Drinks package, WiFi and two nights pre and post cruise :D

Three cruises booked now:

MSC Seaside in November and NCL Epic in January - I had better calm my jets for a bit!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

solo unless I can find some one to come 04/28/19 TA from NY to Rome and I'm scared as hell lol

Booked a balcony...ouch..so I can add someone if i can convince a relative or friend to join in

I am newly single and will be sailing Princess out of San Francisco to Hawaii solo. I am looking forward to all aspects of the cruise with one exception. I am concerned that I will feel lonely being solo with all the couples and groups around. I know I can find a lot to do. And what about dining?

I am mid 50s

Dina

I am newly single and will be sailing Princess out of San Francisco to Hawaii solo. I am looking forward to all aspects of the cruise with one exception. I am concerned that I will feel lonely being solo with all the couples and groups around. I know I can find a lot to do. And what about dining?

I am mid 50s

Dina

Hi Diana,

I pray that you learn to not be lonely by yourself. People can be in a crowded room with friends, family and coworkers yet still be lonely. Learn to love yourself, feel comfortable with yourself and enjoy who you are.

Ramona

I am mid 50s

Dina

Hey Dina -

Those groups & couples might be in greater number, but when I cruise solo they're very welcoming & friendly. And, in fact, many are impressed by & curious about someone 'brave enough' to sail alone.

Take a book or tablet everywhere as a backup time filler in case you don't meet a new friend at every event. Don't hesitate to ask to sit with a group listening to music or join in a team activity or game. Let the CD (or one of his/her assistants) know you're solo & wouldn't mind meeting others to hang out or dine with. You can even dance solo or ask to join a group of gals on the dance floor. And definitely join the roll call!

You'll be fine! Have fun.

Nancy

I am mid 50s

Dina

Dina,

It really depends upon your personality. Just be aware that any stress that happens when you are traveling solo will seem more stressful since you are by yourself but relax and have fun. Do what you would ordinarily do- be outgoing if you want but stay to yourself when you want. Make sure you bring a book or something if you don't feel like talking or do the activities. The pros of traveling solo is doing what you want when you want.

Think about if you want traditional or anytime dining. I have done traditional most of the time but may do anytime next time to meet more people. I tend to do more ship excursions when I travel solo so I don't have to worry about being in an unfamiliar place. Have a great time!

I am mid 50s

Dina , I have cruised solo to Hawaii , Panama Canal and Alaska ,I am never lonely they always have something going on ,when it is time to eat I go to the buffet …..Have a Great Cruise :)

I am mid 50s

Dina

Lucky you! That, to me, is the only way to go. I have done many solos and enjoyed each and every one of them. I have met many people who I have befriended an even joined one on a cruise a few years ago on a 12-day cruise from Rome to Monaco, Greece, Turkey and Egypt on Costa Concordia, which met its fate off of Italy. As for dining, you can ask for a large table where you can mingle with others or you can eat at the buffet. So many choices for you and am anxious to hear how it goes. Bon Voyage!