New Dining option: Manfredi's on Viking's Longships

CEV426

I think the problem is not the addition of the Manfredi's option, but that it comes at the loss of the Aquavit dining option in the evening. The Restaurant is a great place to spend an hour or two dining with new friends, and I am sure the new Manfredi's is too. There are times, after an all day excursion perhaps, when you might want just to get a quick bite and call it a day. The Aquavit Terrace was perfect for that.

We just returned from the Danube Waltz. After reading about this option here, I emailed the ship ahead of time and they were happy to book us. We really enjoyed the experience.

How did you find the email address of the ship? Thanks

Is there a list anywhere of which ships have this? I’ll be disappointed if we do on our Rhine trip next month. We are not traveling with friends on this trip and the option of a casual dinner experience where we could sit at a small table was appealing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sent an email to tellus@vikingcruises.com and received a similar reply, totally missed the point suggesting we could still eat in the main dining room...duh. They did however say they were “gathering feedback about this change”.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for providing the email link. I was able to easily express my opinion. I hope it gets read and considered!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Grand European tour in 2016 and enjoyed eating dinner on the Aquivit Terrace. But, as I look back at it, there were never many people eating there. Maybe us and one or two other couples. Perhaps Viking feels this new concept is more cost effective and will attract more diners.

Edited by teachberry
Grammar

Perhaps if Viking receives enough positive feedback to make the Manfredi's experiment a permanent part of river cruises, then they could designate a small area in the Restaurant for tables for two geared for quests who wish to experience expedited service. I still think I would hope they keep the Aquavit dining option as originally designed, but this could be an alternate option.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping this is offered on our July cruise. By 'fixed menu' does that mean it does not change each day, or is there only 1 item per course, but the whole menu changes daily?

We had it on the Jarl Eastern Europe tour. It was a fixed menu and it was lamb. 3 out of 4 of us don't eat lamb and we didn't know until we sat down. They brought us the fish from the dining room instead. It was a nice meal and since it was not full it was quieter than the dining room. We only did it once and we signed up that afternoon.

By 'fixed menu' does that mean it does not change each day, or is there only 1 item per course, but the whole menu changes daily?

Only one item per course, menu doesn't change all week. Menu can be seen on request in Acquavit Lounge and even easier on the TV in your cabin

See

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55901348&postcount=28

• 4 weeks later...
Does Manfredi's accommodate people with diary allergies?

This is the menu here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55901348&postcount=28

As you see, every dish has cheese.

I don't eat cheese, and I gave that as the reason for not booking when the maitre d' was trying to get people to book (they were never full on that cruise). He said he would give me a meal without cheese. It was the same menu without the cheese. Only thing they couldn't take cheese out of was tiramisu so he got another dessert for me.

You will have to ask the maitre d' on your cruise whenbooking. I guess it depends on how busy they are....

After eating at Manfredi's twice on the Viking Star in January, I hope they will continue it on the Viking Long Ships ! I have 2 River Cruises coming up and looking forward to Manfredi's and another delicious dinner menu on board. All the selections on the Star were outstanding and we enjoyed the 2 dinners we had.

Hi...we sail on the kadlin on August 3. My sailing documents are on the way and perhaps the info will be in there...how can I find out if this restaurant is on my longship and if i can get reservations? I'm going it's not as i was looking forward to the aquavit one night for dinner. Jane

We were on the Tulips and Windmils the end of March on the Mimir and they had JUST started the Manfredis option for dinner. We were not happy about it because we like the Aquavit option for dinner instead of the whole long dinner if we don’t feel like it. Many other people were also angry, and complained onboard and after the cruise to Viking. We complained and got a credit for future travel.

It was a test on various ships to see how it would go over. I recently got a call from Viking customer service just to let me know that due to customer complaints/poor reception is was discontinued .

Manfredis on ocean ships is fine because of the multiple dining venues, but on the river ships it jst dosent translate well and people need somewhere else to get a quicker or lighter meal like Aquavit.

We were on the Tulips and Windmils the end of March on the Mimir and they had JUST started the Manfredis option for dinner. We were not happy about it because we like the Aquavit option for dinner instead of the whole long dinner if we don’t feel like it. Many other people were also angry, and complained onboard and after the cruise to Viking. We complained and got a credit for future travel.

It was a test on various ships to see how it would go over. I recently got a call from Viking customer service just to let me know that due to customer complaints/poor reception is was discontinued .

Manfredis on ocean ships is fine because of the multiple dining venues, but on the river ships it jst dosent translate well and people need somewhere else to get a quicker or lighter meal like Aquavit.

I'm so happy that the aquavit will be available! I have a feeling after all my eating and drinking pre-cruise in paris, I will really appreciate some lighter fare occasionally! Jane