Live from Viking Sun "Into the Midnight Sun" June 12 - 26

russg140

Thank you for your time and detailed explanations. The cruise sounds wonderful. We sail July 21. My question has to do with Edinburgh. The itinerery originally said the port was Rosyth but the invoice says Newhaven. From what I read Newhaven is a tender port. We have booked an independant tour and want to be able to give the vendor correct information.

Thank you for your time and detailed explanations. The cruise sounds wonderful. We sail July 21. My question has to do with Edinburgh. The itinerery originally said the port was Rosyth but the invoice says Newhaven. From what I read Newhaven is a tender port. We have booked an independant tour and want to be able to give the vendor correct information.

@gradydude,

Your invoice is correct. If you're sailing on the Viking Sky (July 21st departure from Bergen), it's scheduled to anchor off-shore at Edinburgh with tender service to Newhaven on August 1.

http://capitalcruising.co.uk/cruise-schedule#sectionSchedule23

Edited by screen-gem

Here’s our experience: we bought a sweater in Geiranger and were given 2 receipts. You fill out the form. Go to guest relations with your passport and the receipts. You need to have the credit card used to make the original purchase and that’s it.

Viking makes it really simple.

Russ

Russ,

Thanks for the info about VAT refunds. I would never have thought that Viking's Guest Relations desk would be in the loop. That really simplifies things.

According to Ms. Google (who knows all...), the VAT on most purchases in Norway is 25%. You got 10% back on your sweater purchase. It appears that 15% went to Viking, and the agency that they use to process the VAT paperwork. I guess that's why they're in the loop:rolleyes:

Thank you for the information on Edinburgh. We will plan accordingly. I would think Viking has this down by now and can move people in a timely manner. We are very excited and this blog has a lot of useful information. For example, don't book a spa appt if you want to participate in Bluenose! Go to Manfredis hungry.

Russ (like your name - my dad & brother were Russ!),

Thanks for taking the time to provide all this great info for us. We sail from Bergen on 6/30 on the Star. Trying to get al our ducks in a row! I have not seen much here on the weather. From the forecasts I am getting online, it looks like we will have quite a few days of rain/showers. How has it been for you? I'm coming up with temps ranging from a high of 75 in Geiranger to a daytime high of 51 in Lofoten (Leknes).

Nola

You are welcome! We also always bring 2 ATM cards from different banks just in case...we wear money belts even though it may seem inconvenient we feel safer. Hubby has an around the waist belt. I have one around my neck under my clothes. Both from pacsafe so scissors can't cut through them.

Russ (like your name - my dad & brother were Russ!),

Thanks for taking the time to provide all this great info for us. We sail from Bergen on 6/30 on the Star. Trying to get al our ducks in a row! I have not seen much here on the weather. From the forecasts I am getting online, it looks like we will have quite a few days of rain/showers. How has it been for you? I'm coming up with temps ranging from a high of 75 in Geiranger to a daytime high of 51 in Lofoten (Leknes).

Nola

HBG

Bergen was cool and rainy. Geiranger was cooler and rainy but the sun peeked out later in the day for a few minutes. Tromso was sunny and cool as was Honnigsvag, although it clouded up late afternoon and started raining as we left port. Today in Lofoten it is gray and rainy but still cool.

If you’re wondering about packing think layering: tees under shirts under sweaters under jackets (bring one that’s waterproof). The colder you tend to be the more layers you might want. I’ve been good with a tee shirt under a flannel shirt and wore my jacket more for the rain.

Russ

p.s. Viking provides an ENORMOUS golf umbrella in your room. I used it one rainy, windy day and almost pulled a Mary Poppins! LOL!

Hi Russ,

If you have time, would you be so kind as to tell us if you took any excursions (Viking or private) while in Leknes/Lofoten. Also, was there a shuttle provided to get into town. If you got into town, was it worth it ? Thank you very much for your very useful contributions.

Since we weren’t scheduled to arrive in Lofoten until noon we decided to live it up a little last night, and we’re ver happy for the extra sleep.

Today in Lofoten is gray and rainy. We booked the included shore excursion “Panoramic Lofoten”. 2 hours on a bus with three stops for photos. The guide we were assigned was French and between the wonky mic and her accent it was hard to understand.

For those of you asking about shore excursions I now feel in a much better position to offer my opinion regarding included, paid or independently booked shore excursions having done at least one of each. So...

Starting with the included/free: I really feel like it’s a “you get what you pay for “ scenario. Almost all, if not all, are sit in a bus, drive around stop for photos, hear a little history and go back to the ship. It’s perfect for those people who don’t want to do a lot of walking. The one we took today actually made us wish we had stayed on board and hung out in the Spa. It was free, so I can’t really complain.

In Honnigsvag we took a Viking excursion that we paid for $239 p.p.). It was a lot of fun and there were only 10 of us. It was a much more personalized experience as we got to talk to the guides and learn a little bit about them and their lives. And the RIB to and from the ship was a lot of fun! The price may have been a bit high, but we enjoyed it nonetheless.

The excursions we paid for but booked independent of Viking were also excellent. Logistically you need to do some coordination so you make it to your tour on time. In Geiranger we had to jump the line to get on the first tender and in Tromso we didn’t read the shuttle schedule (totally our fault), but thankfully the extremely helpful local tourism representative was able to call the tour office and personally walked us there once in town.

Were the tours we took independently better than what we could have gotten through Viking? In my opinion yes: one of tours in Geiranger went to 3 stops (which would have required us to book 2 tours through Viking) and booking the second tour entitled us to a discount ultimately saving us a little money. The excursion in Tromso was $75 p.p. less expensive than the same tour offered by Viking, and who wouldn’t want to save $150?

So we’re back onboard hanging out by the Main pool, in which they seem to have turned the heater off ‘cuz it’s very....brisk! Dinner tonight in The Restaurant and tomorrow is a Day at Sea on our way to Scotland.

Hi Russ, thanks for taking the time to do this trip report. The info has been very helpful to us as we will be on the same cruise in a few weeks.

Just wondering if you took any of the optional Viking excursions and what you thought about them. Anything you would do differently if you had the chance?

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. thank you!

Hi Russ, thanks for taking the time to do this trip report. The info has been very helpful to us as we will be on the same cruise in a few weeks.

Just wondering if you took any of the optional Viking excursions and what you thought about them. Anything you would do differently if you had the chance?

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. thank you!

FB

We did one: King Crab Safari in Honnigsvag. It was a lot of fun but a little pricey at $249 p.p. The tour only had 10 people so we got a chance to talk with the guides a bit and find out a little more about them. We actually ended early so they zoomed us around in the RIB for a bit before going in.

Russ

Hi Russ, thanks for responding. We are signed up for the King Crab Safari too. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it! Any problems with sea sickness on the smaller fishing boat or RIB?

Along this line, I would like to know if the ship suffered any rough seas and, if so, how stable it felt. I have never had sea sickness but wonder if I should go prepared with some preventive stuff.

Nola

“What a difference a day makes.”

So we left Lofoten on time yesterday and headed into the Norwegian Sea to cross to Scotland. The seas were a little rough, but nothing worse than what we had already encountered. But that was to change.

As time went on conditions got worse and the seas picked up.

The Captain came on the loudspeaker at around 9:30 to update the passengers (NB: our clocks went back an hour last night) . Due to the seas (18-25 foot swells) and tremendously high winds he has slowed the ship to 10 knots. As such we would arrive into Lerwick 19 hours late. Needless to say they decided to cancel the port and head directly to Kirkwall, so tomorrow will be another day at sea. The Captain said we could expect these conditions to last for the next 24 hours.

I don’t know if this is normal (the rough seas). The passengers all seem to be taking it in stride as there were a lot more people in the World Cafe for breakfast than I would have thought. The pools and jacuzzis are, obviously, closed.

We were informed that our Lerwick shore excursions would be refunded, too.

Going for a facial in a bit and may book a massage for tomorrow, and a French wine tasting at 2, so we won’t be bored.

Hi Russ, thanks for responding. We are signed up for the King Crab Safari too. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it! Any problems with sea sickness on the smaller fishing boat or RIB?

FB

Not at all. In fact they even zipped around in a couple of circles which was fun and exhilarating.

Russ

Along this line, I would like to know if the ship suffered any rough seas and, if so, how stable it felt. I have never had sea sickness but wonder if I should go prepared with some preventive stuff.

Nola

Funny you should ask...

Please see my post for this morning. The ship is moving (pitching up and down, as opposed to rolling left and right). You should bring any preventative just in case. My mantra? “Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.”

Russ

P.s. I’m trying to upload a clip of the seas, but CC isn’t letting me. Sorry.

Mark

We did the Lysoen Island and Fantoft Stave Church tour today. Yes. You do go into the church, which is very small, but interesting. The trip to Lysoen Island was as well, but if you don’t know who Ule Bull is you should find out more about him. The trip takes you by boat to the island to visit his house, which you also go inside of. The tour was 4 1/2 hours.

Thanks so much for letting us know. We are looking forward to going in the church...

Mark

Also live on the Viking Sea. We flew into Bergen. It was an easy 15 minute walk from the ship to the Floyben Funicular. Amazing views from atop the mountain.

Price was 95 NOK, $12. US, return (round trip.) Significantly less money than Vikings tour.

In Geiranger, we took Geiranger Fjord Service 3 hours deluxe bus panoramic tour. Cost $63 per person. Vikings tour was $179. Small bus. We made 4 stops, including top of Mount Dalsnibba(sp?). Dress warmly. Weather was 51 and drizzling at the bottom, and 37 degrees and sleeting and high winds at the top. Again, amazing views of the fjords.

So we left Lofoten on time yesterday and headed into the Norwegian Sea to cross to Scotland. The seas were a little rough, but nothing worse than what we had already encountered. But that was to change.

The Captain came on the loudspeaker at around 9:30 to update the passengers (NB: our clocks went back an hour last night) . Due to the seas (18-25 foot swells) and tremendously high winds he has slowed the ship to 10 knots. As such we would arrive into Lerwick 19 hours late. Needless to say they decided to cancel the port and head directly to Kirkwall, so tomorrow will be another day at sea. The Captain said we could expect these conditions to last for the next 24 hours.

I don’t know if this is normal (the rough seas). The passengers all seem to be taking it in stride as there were a lot more people in the World Cafe for breakfast than I would have thought. The pools and jacuzzis are, obviously, closed.

Going for a facial in a bit and may book a massage for tomorrow, and a French wine tasting at 2, so we won’t be bored.

Haven't seen the sun since Monday. Both pools are closed. Outside walking track is closed. Sun deck is closed. Bring books and games. And sea bands or dramamine, just in case.

Viking added lots of extra activities for 2nd sea day: bean bag toss, napkin folding, cooking demonstration, trivia contest, movies, magic show, and guest lectures.

Rhonda

I am so disappointed for you that you are missing the Shetlands. However Viking can't control the weather and I am glad they are keeping you safe and entertained. We have been watching the ship's progress on Marine Traffic and the weather on Windy. There have indeed been a series of low pressures causing gale force winds and big seas. I recall last year a ship had to skip Lerwick due to high winds and another sailed all the way to Honningsvag but did not dock because of approaching weather. It happens.

I am curious - trying to figure the reason the pools and jacuzzis are closed. Is it because the water is sloshing about?

Another question - do you have wifi while way out at sea? It is satellite so I would think yes but...

Thank you for your live reports.

We are on the cruise in July. Do not know about one direction over another. I did get up at 3am to make excursions once open for our DV. Did not get Day and time for specialty restaurant that I wanted. We will not go hungry I am sure. Getting excited!

If it’s anything like our cruise on the Viking Sea in March, you will have no trouble getting reservations for the specialty restaurants. Don’t try to make them at the desk in the World Cafe. Check the desk by each restaurant. If there is someone there - and there often was. It’s easier to make a reservation with them. Also if you are willing to share, it’s easier still.

Sent from my iPad using Forums