Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

I've always found that US customer services are far better than their European counterparts.

Hopefully they'll have some input on how SS handle things.

If I may interject, in my recent experience that doesn't apply to US based airlines. I've had an ongoing issue with one of them since early January, they won't reply to my emails and snail mail letters. Not even an acknowledgment of receipt.

Yet another sober day with not being under the effluence of incohol. I so miss the booze.:(

One advantage in getting back is TV catch-up and tonight was Jools Holland ... and the wonderful Christine and the Queens with Girlfriend. Not “Tilted” but a good combo of visual and dance and song. And the very wonderful Niles Rodgers. Where would we be now if Chic hadn’t been. It isn’t voddy - but still.

Thats extremely kind of you S thanks for the kind words.

You can’t PM on CC but I see no reason not to simply post the VPN she is using. Most of them that advertise access don’t work but it is difficult to complain because of the purpose the VPN is used for. They all seem to offer free trials.

To access Netflix US if you use IPvanish and select Dallas and let it select the best server you should be able to access it as though in the US. I’ve been using the same server for a year or so. You can google offers and should come up with an IPVanish offer of up to 70% off. That should allow you a free trial so if you try it and it doesn’t work you cancel and pay nothing. The app is loadable onto Ipad, onto a PC via the app shop in Amazon, or there is a method of sending it to an Amazon Fire set top box if you google - it can be sent and “sideloaded” from an Android phone. I’ve just rechecked and IPVanish at Dallas is giving me full Netflix US content.

I use to use a couple of Slingboxes for overseas TV viewing but they have all given up.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jeff,

Netflix US up and running. VPN worked perfectly.

You have made my daughter’s day. She Has her last exam for her Leaving Cert ( Economics) tomorrow- like your A Levels and has her US shows lined up for afterwards!

She tells me the VPN she uses is non paying - Hola!VPN

Hope it works for you.

S

S,

Lovely food well done. There is no such thing as too many food piccies. :D

So pleased your daughter has got into US Netflix as they have so much more content. Netflix Japan is also fairly rich pickings if you are a foody.

For what it's worth I have a theory with respect to why it is easier to use VPN for the commercial channels than BBC. BBC only earns from licence fees and through selling programmes abroad, which they couldn't do if their market leaked via VPN access. So they seem keener to protect illicit entry. I wasn't able to get into BBC directly using any VPN so far. Netflix on the other hand can only be accessed if you have a sub albeit in some country or other. So in a way as long as they go through the motions and are seen to be trying to respect geographical broadcasting rights of their content, in reality they are keener that their subscribers are incentivised to remain customers and being able to unblock geographic content I think is probably more positive than negative for them. Just a theory. :)

Oh yum, sakaara! More food pics to drool over. :D:D Thanks very much!

We grilled sausage and served with peppers and onions. Simple and fast. The sausages came out of the freezer and thawed while we were out running. It was pretty hot today - not 95 like yesterday but hot enough for us to melt too after 3 miles. We walked the rest of the way.

Finally unpacked my travel backpack after being away for 3 weekends out of the last 4. It never left the bedroom between trips but it's now safely away in its storage space. Banff and Frankfurt pictures have been downloaded and we'll start to get them organized soon. I'll let you know when I upload them.

Interesting new thread about Jeff's and swindy's cruise. Hope the OP comes over and talks about it some more. BTW Jeff, I must say that your timing seems off - after your cruise, this is hardly the time to try sobriety! ;p

JP,

Sausages are one of my favourite things. As I get older - and rounder - I think that most meat cuts really have little inherent flavour but what you can do with minced meat is wonderful. Sausages and kofte and burgers you can add so much character and variety to minced or chopped meats. Infinitely variable and incredibly inexpensive.. If I were poor I would survive. And in the UK sausages have become so good. Oh, I wish I had a sausage now. :D

Please don't tempt me back. It is currently my normal Voddy hour here. But as you get older it is so easy to become fatter and fatter and every part of you suffers. So I am trying hard to get back to being mildly obese and I know there is a smaller Jeff inside of me somewhere and somehow howling to be set free,. Hearing voices is what happens when you withdraw and if you give up alcohol I understand. :D

Greetings Coolers!

Bill...I second J's suggestion for pics of food and locale. It would be most entertaining. And not because J's pics of food are boring! (J is being a little self-deprecating :)).

Today's funny.....

35805450_1741966142517076_8935681409243152384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeGJ7BA3gfaItt8lv4l4s_AcV8Rw5DKqxcyIJSpHKfCLocZUqvGH8OudrzTMy96WlkbLEA8-VCQgQqOExOf1NG6nj0usjF1GS2Koj28EV4EfUw&oh=97e8a58888a9bfc034a06ee79ab98f3d&oe=5BAC7151

Have a great day all!

Hi, Mysty, what a cute picture:)

I have not posted lately....been too upset about what is going on around here:(:mad:

Looks like now the Pope has even spoken out...….I wonder if it will do any good (sadly, I doubt it).

Have a good day everyone.

Jeff,

Are you able to view the Irish TV Channel RTE?

They make some really great TV shows.

Have you heard of Love Hate? Excellent but very violent. It was one of the biggest and lucrative tv shows made, over here.

I think this show was sold to the US too. RTE is similar to what you were saying about the BBC, being paid for by tv license.

Loved your recommendation on the Aussie show Rake. Hopefully Season 5 later this year.

Enjoy the twin Torps. Maybe Amazon might decide to ship to us in the future, as no luck with Sub directly yet. Tiny population here in Ireland, might not make financial sense.

Speaking of food ..... may I be as bold as to ask if anyone makes their own Sourdough? I found my old starter in the fridge and thought it had stopped but I extracted 75gm and added equal measures of flour and water and it is off again, but what consistency should it be? It is almost like syrup!

Re the VPN issues, what is the official status in the UK for IPTV? I know someone who uses it and he gets channels from Africa, France, USA and Germany. Presumably it can be used anywhere in the world.

Sent from the magic box!

Speaking of food ..... may I be as bold as to ask if anyone makes their own Sourdough? I found my old starter in the fridge and thought it had stopped but I extracted 75gm and added equal measures of flour and water and it is off again, but what consistency should it be? It is almost like syrup!

Re the VPN issues, what is the official status in the UK for IPTV? I know someone who uses it and he gets channels from Africa, France, USA and Germany. Presumably it can be used anywhere in the world.

Sent from the magic box!

Hi,

I have dispensed with sourdough starters completely. Two reasons.

Firstly, the commitment you normally need to maintain it and secondly I actually prefer the taste of my alternative approach. Think of it as “sourdough lite”. i use a poolish/biga approach. This is what French bakers use to make baguettes and what the Neapolitans do for their pizza. Basically the night before I make a mix of a couple of gramms of instant yeast with an equal quantity of flour and water and just give it a short hand mix with a fork for a few seconds just to incorporate it. Say 150gms/ml of water and flour. NO SALT.as it will kill the growth. . I then put a shower cap over it and leave it overnight to ferment.That is why we always keep the shower caps from hotels.

I then use that as a starter for the bread taking the quantity of flour and water of the main ingredients and adding a couple more grammes of yeast. I always try to reach an end hydration rate of around 70% as the wetter the bread the better the result. When in pizza season I keep a few balls in bowls in my wine fridge.

The reason why this approach is so good is that it combines two prinsiples that improves bread flavour. Flour prehydration and yeast maturing as in sourdough.

I have a cheats French steam oven which anyone can easily do to give bread a few minutes steam to give a baguette style crust.

Afternoon Coolers! I Have a question for you.

What does the term ultra luxury mean toyou? I’ve seen many comments on this site about the differencesbetween mainstream, premium, luxury and ultra luxury but how wouldyou define the difference? Is it the service, the surroundings, thesmall details or the overall experience? What is the one thing thatyou think sets apart one category from the next?

This is something I've spent some timeconsidering recently following looking around at several cruise linesand would be fascinated to hear other peoples views.

I'm not talking about one particularbrand v's another within the same category but I have spent some timerecently looking at a line that some seem to look down their noses atbecause its only “premium”. Everything I've seen about thatparticular brand seems really appealing. The ships look beautiful,the food and service both seem to receive high praise. It looks, all in all, a fantastic experience. I Know itsdifficult to tell without first hand experience but it looks farsuperior in many ways to my recent ultra luxury experience.

I'm looking forward to hearing youropinions.