Bergen Questions Answered 2018

Hello "ShipsInBergen" - We'll be visiting Bergen in August and September. On both visits our ship will be docked near the Hanseatic section of the city. We would like to hike Stoltzekleiven, but the directions to find the start of the trail seem pretty complicated. Would you have an idea about the most direct way to walk there from the port area? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Has anyone gone on the Gofjords boat from Bergen to Skjerjehamn? It sounds like it might be an interesting trip. If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it. Thanks

I can't give any advice on that specific trip, but I know you'll see some lovely scenery along the way :)

Hopefully someone else on here can give first-hand advice.

Hello ShipsinBergen and thank you for the excellent first hand information you provide.

I would never have considered walking up Mt. Fløyen had you not suggested it, but having hiked up to 1500ft in the English Lake District last weekend I am sure this is something we will enjoy!

Now to a question for when you have a moment:

I have just noticed that our departure from Bergen on the Viking Sun in 2019 is on Sunday 23rd June which happens to be Midsummers eve. We sale away at 6.00pm. What do you think is the chance of us seeing some of the traditional bonfire activity in the distance along the shore as we head to Geiranger?

Hi :)

If you made it to that height in the lake district then the trail up Fløyen should be well within your comfort zone :D

Re: Midsummers eve activity, there will be bonfires, etc in many locations, but probably not as early as your sailaway from Bergen. Definitely worth keeping your eyes peeled along the coast though for some glowing bonfires with happy crowds gathered around them.

Have a great trip!

Hello "ShipsInBergen" - We'll be visiting Bergen in August and September. On both visits our ship will be docked near the Hanseatic section of the city. We would like to hike Stoltzekleiven, but the directions to find the start of the trail seem pretty complicated. Would you have an idea about the most direct way to walk there from the port area? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Hi!

The hike up Stolzekleiven is wonderful (but definitely not for the faint hearted, or anyone with mobility issues)! The start of the trail is clearly marked with a little wooden archway on Fjellveien. I've just taken a look at a popular 'maps' website and this seems to point you in just the right direction ;)

The walk to the start point from the dock area is a good 30 mins. To cut this down to 10/15 it might be worth jumping on a public bus at Bontelabo and riding it a couple of stops to Sandvikstorget. All the buses passing Bontelabo will take you there. It's just a 2min ride and buses are very regular.

Enjoy your hike :D

I can't give any advice on that specific trip, but I know you'll see some lovely scenery along the way :)

Hopefully someone else on here can give first-hand advice.

Thanks for the reply. I'm torn between the Gofjords boat to Skjerjehamn, which leaves at 8am (our ship arrives at 7am right into town) and returns at 11:50, giving us the afternoon for something else...…

or the Rodne boat to Mostraumen, which leaves at 10am and arrives back around 13:00. We'd still have most of the afternoon, but we'd be killing time in the morning before it leaves.

We're going on other fjord trips (Lysefjord and Naeroyfjoyd) besides what the ship will already sail, so I thought the scenery to Skjerjehamn would be a little different, correct? Whirlpools, smaller waterways?

I've seen youtube videos of both trips, and they both look lovely...…

hi shipsinbergen

Is it worth buying tickets in advance for the Fløibanen funicular and what are the queues like when a cruise ship is in port ? We'll be on the Celebrity Silhouette docking in Jekteviksterminalen 2 on Monday 3rd Sept.

Thanks for the reply. I'm torn between the Gofjords boat to Skjerjehamn, which leaves at 8am (our ship arrives at 7am right into town) and returns at 11:50, giving us the afternoon for something else...…

or the Rodne boat to Mostraumen, which leaves at 10am and arrives back around 13:00. We'd still have most of the afternoon, but we'd be killing time in the morning before it leaves.

We're going on other fjord trips (Lysefjord and Naeroyfjoyd) besides what the ship will already sail, so I thought the scenery to Skjerjehamn would be a little different, correct? Whirlpools, smaller waterways?

I've seen youtube videos of both trips, and they both look lovely...…

I'd say if you've already had the chance to look at youtube videos then that will give you a much better idea of what to expect than I can manage with words here! Whichever trip you take you're in for a treat :D

I will be on the Konigsdam next week, and it looks like we are docked at Bontalabo 2. Can you tell me how to get to

Zachariasbryggen to go on the Rodne fjord cruise?

Thanks.

Hi Suzanne,

The dock at Bontelabo is an easy 10-15minute walk to the harbour and Zachariasbryggen, past the historic waterfront (Bryggen). Just take a right out to the terminal area, and keep the water to your right the whole way :)

hi shipsinbergen

Is it worth buying tickets in advance for the Fløibanen funicular and what are the queues like when a cruise ship is in port ? We'll be on the Celebrity Silhouette docking in Jekteviksterminalen 2 on Monday 3rd Sept.

I'd say so; this allows you to skip the queue for tickets, just not the second line for boarding. The funicular is a great trip, but it can get very busy when there are several ships in. My favourite advice is to walk up Fløyen instead if you can. It's a lovely and well-trodden 45min/1hr trip which you can manage in regular clothes if you have a base level of mobility/fitness. Then you can buy a single funicular ticket from the top, and ride down without the queues.

Either way, enjoy the views :D

• 3 weeks later...

A big THANK YOU to ShipsInBergen for all the great information provided on this thread. We spent 5 days resting and touring in your lovely city before travelling on to Oslo. You had mentioned that May 17th was your national day and that it was not to be missed. So true. We arrived in Bergen on May 15th and were in your lovely city on your national holiday. What a treat. The celebrations and parades! And everyone was so interested in sharing information about the customs and various local dress. We felt so welcomed. Bergen was definitely a highlight in our month in Scandinavia. Can't wait to return to Norway. Thank you. (And yes, we wandered all over the city. We will return.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ShipsInBergen,

I was not sure how to get this question to you other than replying to this thread.

We are taking Viking from Bergen to London and will overnight in Tromso and Alta. We will be staying in Bergen for a couple days before the cruise so we can shop for some delicious sweaters! I have a friend that lives in Kristiansund so I asked him about clothing for January. He was a wealth of information and gave us this link for Warming Suit or Boiler Suit. http://www.proffklaershop.no/helly-hansen-workwear/vinterklaer/kjeledress

We plan on being outside many hours on the tours and also on the ship. My question for you is.......... Where would we find these in Bergen? The sizing on line is confusing and I think it would be better to try them on with our layers in person.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing a small piece of your incredible country.

Linda

Hello ShipsInBergen,

I was not sure how to get this question to you other than replying to this thread.

We are taking Viking from Bergen to London and will overnight in Tromso and Alta. We will be staying in Bergen for a couple days before the cruise so we can shop for some delicious sweaters! I have a friend that lives in Kristiansund so I asked him about clothing for January. He was a wealth of information and gave us this link for Warming Suit or Boiler Suit. http://www.proffklaershop.no/helly-hansen-workwear/vinterklaer/kjeledress

We plan on being outside many hours on the tours and also on the ship. My question for you is.......... Where would we find these in Bergen? The sizing on line is confusing and I think it would be better to try them on with our layers in person.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing a small piece of your incredible country.

Linda

Update: Or....is this type of gear even necessary? What would you suggest?

• 1 month later...

We're looking for information about getting from the airport to the Viking Jupiter next July. Since we're not so young any more, the four of us would appreciate information about private transportation or taking a taxi from the airport. Do all taxis charge the same fare? Are there any cautions about certain taxis?? Thanks in advance!

We're looking for information about getting from the airport to the Viking Jupiter next July. Since we're not so young any more, the four of us would appreciate information about private transportation or taking a taxi from the airport. Do all taxis charge the same fare? Are there any cautions about certain taxis??

Thanks in advance!

You can take the Flybussen from the airport to the stop right by the Radisson Bleu on the Bryggen and then walk from there. (Look up Flybussen on the Internet.) There are tickets machines in the airport and cost is $8-12 per person depending on how senior you are. They run about every 10 minutes. Its less then 300 meters, it's flat and you can see the ship from the bus stop. If you can walk on a Viking excursion, you can walk that distance. I am mobility challenged and walked much further then that.

Another choice if you arrive at the airport the same day as embarcation, is to take the Viking shuttle. The Viking reps and busses will be at the airport already. Viking will charge your account $49 per person.

We went on the Viking Star for the Midnight Sun itinerary and I researched airport transfers because we were coming in a day early. I don't remember what taxis cost other then really expensive.

Perhaps the Moderator of this forum can better help you with taxi info.

Hello ShipsInBergen,

Linda

Hi! Sorry for the very late response to this...I've been travelling myself, and then life got in the way a little!

If you're still looking for info on outdoor clothing and are planning to purchase it in Bergen then you can make a judgement as to what you require based on the weather and forecast conditions when you arrive.

There are a couple of good outdoor stores in the centre. One is called 'Ute' which is located very centrally on Nedre Korskirkeallmenningen. The one time I went in there the staff were very knowledgeable, and should be able to help you out :Dwhatever you go for.

We're looking for information about getting from the airport to the Viking Jupiter next July. Since we're not so young any more, the four of us would appreciate information about private transportation or taking a taxi from the airport. Do all taxis charge the same fare? Are there any cautions about certain taxis?? Thanks in advance!

Hi :)

To add to the good advice already given, I would suggest a Taxi is the best option if there is a group of four. The fare should be around 600nok, and of course will take you directly to the terminal to board your ship.

There is a taxi stand at the airport which is clearly signed. I use the airport regularly and there are always taxis available (plus I've never seen a queue for them). The majority will be from 'Bergen Taxi' with the phone number 07000 on the side. All taxis in this rank will be okay to use though; there are no 'cowboys' to watch out for here :)

Have a great trip!

A big THANK YOU to ShipsInBergen for all the great information provided on this thread. We spent 5 days resting and touring in your lovely city before travelling on to Oslo. You had mentioned that May 17th was your national day and that it was not to be missed. So true. We arrived in Bergen on May 15th and were in your lovely city on your national holiday. What a treat. The celebrations and parades! And everyone was so interested in sharing information about the customs and various local dress. We felt so welcomed. Bergen was definitely a highlight in our month in Scandinavia. Can't wait to return to Norway. Thank you. (And yes, we wandered all over the city. We will return.)

Glad you had a good trip, and very happy to hear you enjoyed seeing Bergen on 17th May - It can be crazy but it's great fun :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Our cruise line just changed our time for our May 2019 stop. We now arrive at 7am to 4pm. I was considering a few different choices for our time in Bergen I was looking into renting a car to go to the Hardangerfjord area have to research this more and see what to do. Or maybe taking the train from Bergen to Voss and to white water raft, or kayak etc. Or considering Cable car up Mt Ulriken and hiking the Vidden Trail to Mt Floyen. We are group of 8 that prefer outdoor activities then exploring a town, shopping or museums. Any thoughts? thanks

• 5 months later...

Hi, My husband and I and another couple have booked this cruise to the fjords in May.  We are very disappointed that the only shore excursions to see the major fjords were "fully booked" 2-1/2 months ahead of time.  We did not know this at our time of booking.  Seeing these fjords up close is the reason we wanted to go on this cruise.  Since the time in port for these two ports of call (Alesund and Bergen) is for some reason very short, that has stopped us from being able to join a private tour.  We emailed and called Celebrity about possibly adding more excursions to these fjords, but despite receiving a robot response stating  "we will respond in 36 hours", we have not heard back from them.  Wondering if you were able to find a way to see the fjords in Alesund and Bergen?  We are wishing we had booked another cruise line.  Thanks!