canada new england cruise

i tried to post this before but cannot find it. here it goes. would like to cruise new england and canada out of new york. does anyone have any idea of the type of seas. i have heard is rough in oct. how is it in july/august.

thanks.

It's different every week, every year.

If there are storms (and it's all hurricane season), you can have nasty seas. If there are no storms, it will be as calm as can be.

As the man says, "you pays your money, you takes your chances".

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it can vary -- even during the course of a single cruise. We've been in July, August, and October. During the October cruise, we had both rough and smooth seas. But be assured that if there are any major storms in the way, the Captain will reroute the ship to avoid them.

BTW, during our August cruise, we had one day in the 50s followed by a day in the 90s. It's all par for the course up here. icon_smile.gif

Lisa63

Looking forward to Maasdam Canada/New England 2004

New England Weather is very tempermental..... As the old saying goes "If you don't like the weather in NE wait 5 mins, and it will change."

The seas can be calm in July and Aug, they can also be rough. You don't need a hurricane to make the Atlantic Ocean rough.

Hurricane season runs from June 1 - Nov. Storms have been known to head up to NE from Late Aug until Late Oct.

We literally cruised sort of "into" Hurricane Isabelle last year.. very very close as storm had headed in just a day prior to return to NYC. I must say the Victory "rode" very well although I do like to "feel" the ship move more than some. We were kept very well apprised. All cruise lines take every precaution necessary. We are cruising from Florida in Sept this year, the height of hurricane season, and I'm more concerned about leaving car in a low lying parking lot if there's any chance of a "big blow" nearby than I am about what might happen on ship.

Very very unpredictable. I go out a couple times in summer a few days out of Gloucester and you just never know. Famous is the "fog factory" on the South Channel but when clear superb for humpbacks.

But from a cruise ship you will be very very lucky to see whales of any sort.. so weather will not really factor into that ... there are some whale watching tours in Boston, etc. but no one that took one on our cruise saw any and we were lucky only once when there on vacation.

You DO NOT want a whale watch out of Boston. If you look at a map- it is the farthest from the whales. Far better is Cape Cod and Gloucester/Cape Ann. I whale watch at least twice a month and NEVER would consider any trip out of Boston Harbor. Not near the sightings of the other trips.

How about Bar Harbor and Halifax for Whale watchinng? I don't expect it to be as spectacular as in Juneau, but would like to at least know that my chances are good to see a whale. We are cruising the first week of Oct. and I have whale watches booked in these two ports. Still time to change my mind. I am considering changing to Peggy's cove in Halifax. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much

The last major hurricane to hit NE, hit during the last week of Sept. It has been a long time since we've had one come ashore.... One of these years we're bound to get hit.

The movie the perfect storm is a true story..... That storm was out in the Atlantic on Oct 31.

How about Bar Harbor and Halifax for Whale watchinng? I don't expect it to be as spectacular as in Juneau, but would like to at least know that my chances are good to see a whale. We are cruising the first week of Oct. and I have whale watches booked in these two ports. Still time to change my mind. I am considering changing to Peggy's cove in Halifax. What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much

I wouldn't do whale watching out of Halifax -- it's like Boston -- people go but they never report seeing any. We used to go all the time from Cape Cod when we had our place there but as you've figured out, that isn't possible from a port call in Boston.

If you do decide to go to Peggy's Cove whether with ship tour, rental car, private tour company, go early as possible. Yes, there is a chance of fog unfortunately BUT later in the day in October (which is prme fall foliage tourist season), the area is completely over run with tour buses, independent tourists etc. and it's impossible to get that "perfect" picture everyone wants. There's really a lot do do in Halifax itself if you haven't been there before?

Whales feed in the Gulf of Maine from late Spring through October so out of Bar Harbor would be your best bet on this cruise. There are tour operators and groups that track whales (NWF, marine biologists) that do share info in that area.. it depends on where they are feeding but that is a prime area.

• 2 weeks later...
on a new england cruise can anyone tell me the tours to take to see the most colorful tree leaves?

When are you going? It is unpredictable just when prime leaf viewing is.. although all ports ex. maybe Boston on our weeklong one last Sept. would have been wonderful for fall foliage had it not yet been in the 80s and a month later.. Nova Scotia in particular is lovely.. down the St Lawrence to Quebec City also. A word of caution: the Cabot Trail (from Sydney) can be very very foggy... so think twice about that. If you do a ship tour you won't stop much so will have few photo ops and if it's cloudy and foggy... well,you get the picture.

When are you going? It is unpredictable just when prime leaf viewing is.. although all ports ex. maybe Boston on our weeklong one last Sept. would have been wonderful for fall foliage had it not yet been in the 80s and a month later.. Nova Scotia in particular is lovely.. down the St Lawrence to Quebec City also. A word of caution: the Cabot Trail (from Sydney) can be very very foggy... so think twice about that. If you do a ship tour you won't stop much so will have few photo ops and if it's cloudy and foggy... well,you get the picture.

WE ARE GOING IN OCT 7 ON PRINCESS. THE MAIN PURPOSE IS TO SEE THE FALL FOLIAGE SO WILL BE DISAPPOINTED IF NONE ARE THERE. FLYING IN TO TORONTO, GOING TO NIAGRA FALLS, MONTREAL, QUEBEC, THEN ON THE SHIP. WE KNOW WE SHOULD BOOK OUR TOURS AHEAD OF TIME FROM THE SHIP BUT DON'T KNOW WHICH ONES WILL BE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL.

If they have a cooler Sept than last year, you may "hit" the foliage season.. Quebec City itself is lovely in the fall... Ile de Orlean would be a lovely drive but may not give you enough time in the city (unless you have been there before)??? If you go to Sydney would recommend Louisbourg for reasons set forth above re Cabot Trail but not a ship tour. Or possibly the trip to Baddeck.. You can get a lot of info online about that area and locals on the dock are very very helpful... they also have tours there and car rental. Check http://www.richmondcounty.ca/tourism/index.htm. Also for Bar Harbor (do you go there?) and Halifax ...although no car rental in Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park would be the best option for foliage if it's turned..http://www.barharbormaine.com/activities_frame2.html

I am going on the Sept 26 cruise to New England on the Grand. I would like to do a lot of tours on my own not the ship ones. I read that if there are ships in port in Newport that you cannot buy tickets to the mansions at the houses themselves. Does that mean that the cruise ship tours sell them out?

anyone know?

Archived