Half Moon Cay Distance from dock to cabana #1

bunchesofun

How far is a it from the dock where the tender leaves you to cabana #1? We will probably have two in the party with walkers, so wanted an idea of how far it is.

Here's link for the map of Half Moon Cay.

http://www.insightcruises.com/pdf/Half_Moon_Cay.pdf

There will be cruise staff that can transfer the two in your party by a beach wheelchair to the cabana. However the beach wheelchair will not be left as there's a limited supply and must be used for other guests. There is also a tram that you can all take to explore other areas of the island.

How far is a it from the dock where the tender leaves you to cabana #1? We will probably have two in the party with walkers, so wanted an idea of how far it is.

I'm not sure how far it is, but when we had cabana #1 (Taupe), they had a wheelchair accessible tram that dropped us off close to the cabana. We enjoyed our day in the cabana.

original.jpg

• 1 year later...
I'm not sure how far it is, but when we had cabana #1 (Taupe), they had a wheelchair accessible tram that dropped us off close to the cabana. We enjoyed our day in the cabana.

original.jpg

I know this post is old, but can you tell me how you booked this particular cabin? I am understanding it is the only wheelchair accessible cabana on HMC?

I booked #1 a couple of years ago. The only way to guarantee it is to get on board asap (Only time I've bought FttF) and head directly for the excursions desk. In my case, I found out that they wouldn't allow my scooter on the tender and had to limp my way there and back. It's further than it looks on the maps.

Review and a couple of pictures: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=552855

I know this post is old, but can you tell me how you booked this particular cabin? I am understanding it is the only wheelchair accessible cabana on HMC?

I contacted the special needs department at Carnival and asked if I could reserve it as I recall. I explained that he would be using a mobility scooter and they said they would reserve it for me. In the end the water was too rough to allow scooters ashore. We booked a wheelchair and then they said no wheelchairs either. So in the end we didn't go. Did get a full refund though.

• 3 months later...
We have booked Cabana 1 with HAL directly next April. My friend uses a Wheelchair.

Will she have trouble disembarking at Half Moon Cay? We are getting mixed messages by TA and HAL.

TIA Gloria

I can only give you our experience with Carnival.

We were told that the tenders used can carry wheelchairs and mobility scooters. The night before we were told no mobility scooters, so we rented a wheelchair. We sat in the Taj Majal for 3 hours while they tried to put down the anchor. When they finally did they said it was still too rough for wheelchairs. So they did tender people to HMC but no wheelchairs. It is really up to the weather and the captains discretion. So you won't know till you get there and they try and drop anchor. We too had Cabana #1 booked but got a full refund from Carnival.

We booked this cabana directly through Holland America. I've not visited HMC while on a Carnival cruise, so I don't know if Carnival books it the same way,

Whoops! My post got away before I finished it.

Are there walkways for a wheelchair to the beach area, etc, and also is there a bathroom in Cabin 1?

TIA !

My understanding is there are walkways for wheelchairs. There are no bathrooms in the cabanas. See photos posted in this thread.

With Carnival, they say you have to go to the excursion desk as soon as you board to pick your cabana. However I contacted the special needs department and they reserved it for me.

We booked this cabana directly through Holland America. I've not visited HMC while on a Carnival cruise, so I don't know if Carnival books it the same way,

If there is no bathroom in Cabana 1, how close is the nearest accessible bathroom please. Sorry to “beat a dead horse”, but it’s important to my wheelchair friend.

TIA Gloria

If there is no bathroom in Cabana 1, how close is the nearest accessible bathroom please. Sorry to “beat a dead horse”, but it’s important to my wheelchair friend.

TIA Gloria

The bathroom is very close, but it could not make it up the he steep incline on my own. I’m a very independent person, but my wife had to push me up the hill when I had to use the bathroom.

Another warning about this cabana is, there is a path that leads right to the cabana that people often use. There is no way to access the beach from that path without walking through the cabana. We got a good laugh from it because at one point everyone else in my group was in the water watching me direct traffic in the cabana. The photo above shows when I moved the lounger to block the path so I could finally relax.

The bathroom is very close, but it could not make it up the he steep incline on my own. I’m a very independent person, but my wife had to push me up the hill when I had to use the bathroom.

Another warning about this cabana is, there is a path that leads right to the cabana that people often use. There is no way there to access the beach from that path without walking through the cabana. We got a good laugh from it because at one point everyone else in my group was in the water watching me direct traffic in the cabana. The photo above shows when I moved the lounger to block the path so I could finally relax.

Thank you so very much! You have answered some very important questions for me. I have seen your Photos and some of your many reviews. I really look forward to reading more.

Thank you, Gloria

My husband did need to bring his scooter and they let him on the tender with it. We wanted a cabana a little far out to get away from the noise and people. They had loud music going all day.

The first cabana may or may not be taken, but if you really want it go to the excursions desk the first thing when you board the ship. They were very nice about letting us choose which cabana we wanted.

Half moon Cay had their own transfer vessel and that took wheelchairs and scooters. Of course, that was in 2012 and before the hurricanes came into that area, so maybe they don't have those transfer vessels any more.

Thank you so very much! You have answered some very important questions for me. I have seen your Photos and some of your many reviews. I really look forward to reading more.

Thank you, Gloria

Glad to help! Those of us using wheelchairs, scooters and other assistive devices understand how important planning is in making a successful vacation. The more info you get ahead of time equates into peace of mind.