Bar Harbor - using Island Explorer free shuttle versus Acadia National Park Tour

I Love Carbs

We will be cruising into Bar Harbor at the end of July. Planning to visit Acadia National Park and debating on whether to use the Island Explorer free shuttle or to take a 2.5 hours guided tour with a tour company. I'm leaning towards using the Island Explorer to get there because this would allow us to take in the sights and explore at our leisure rather than being restricted to the tour bus time limit. We really just want to visit the Thunder Hole and take pictures. Any thoughts about the pros of using the Acadia National Park Tour instead of the free shuttle?

If all you want to do is to visit Thunder Hole, and are not interested in going to the summit of Cadillac Mountain or any of the other stops then the Island Explorer is the way to go. You could stay at TH as long as you want, not just the 20 minutes allowed by the tour.

Again, if you are only interested in TH, then you should use the route #3 bus which starts and ends at the Bar Harbor Village Green; and if you want to expand your tour, you can always board a route #4 bus which does the entire Park Loop Road but the route starts and ends at the Visitor's Center not the BH Village Green.

SBtS

If all you want to do is to visit Thunder Hole, and are not interested in going to the summit of Cadillac Mountain or any of the other stops then the Island Explorer is the way to go. You could stay at TH as long as you want, not just the 20 minutes allowed by the tour.

Again, if you are only interested in TH, then you should use the route #3 bus which starts and ends at the Bar Harbor Village Green; and if you want to expand your tour, you can always board a route #4 bus which does the entire Park Loop Road but the route starts and ends at the Visitor's Center not the BH Village Green.

SBtS

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. We will most likely go with the Island Explorer to Thunder Hole. If time permit we will consider taking route #4 to do the Park Loop Road but we need time to shop and dine in Bar Harbor. So much to do.. and so little time. :)

If you plan on going to Thunder Hole ... just check when high tide is ... your will want to be there sometime a little before or a little after ... otherwise it doesn't really thunder!!! Jan

check out this link for the tides https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?locid=209&forecast=tides&alt=tides&hwvSmon=7&syear=2017 Hate to see people stop and not be able to see the beauty of the ocean.

If you plan on going to Thunder Hole ... just check when high tide is ... your will want to be there sometime a little before or a little after ... otherwise it doesn't really thunder!!! Jan

check out this link for the tides https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?locid=209&forecast=tides&alt=tides&hwvSmon=7&syear=2017 Hate to see people stop and not be able to see the beauty of the ocean.

Thanks for the tip Jan_In_Maine. I checked out the link to weatherforyou.com and unfortunately the high tide will be at the wrong time of the day for us (5:46 am and 6:12 pm) so we're not going to experience the thunder. :( At least I know now so I will not be too disappointed but we can still take in the gorgeous scenery.

Thanks for the tip Jan_In_Maine. I checked out the link to weatherforyou.com and unfortunately the high tide will be at the wrong time of the day for us (5:46 am and 6:12 pm) so we're not going to experience the thunder. :( At least I know now so I will not be too disappointed but we can still take in the gorgeous scenery.

If you're still visiting TH, and looking for gorgeous scenery, then I would suggest hiking the Ocean Path which parallels the Park Loop Road from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs, The trail goes right by TH.

SBtS

If you're still visiting TH, and looking for gorgeous scenery, then I would suggest hiking the Ocean Path which parallels the Park Loop Road from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs, The trail goes right by TH.

SBtS

Yes, we're still planning to visit TH and will try out Ocean Path too. Thanks for the Ocean Path link.. it looks like an easy trail for us to navigate and I'm looking forward to all the scenic photographs that we'll be taking. Can't wait to get to Acadia National Park! All the photographs I've seen so far on the website are breathtaking! Now if we only had more time in port to take in everything. If we're taking the Island Shuttle, where do we pay the Entrance Fee?

Yes, we're still planning to visit TH and will try out Ocean Path too. Thanks for the Ocean Path link.. it looks like an easy trail for us to navigate and I'm looking forward to all the scenic photographs that we'll be taking. Can't wait to get to Acadia National Park! All the photographs I've seen so far on the website are breathtaking! Now if we only had more time in port to take in everything. If we're taking the Island Shuttle, where do we pay the Entrance Fee?[/quote]

I've honestly never given when to pay much thought, but I think the the bus driver would have a head count and would pay at the booth at the start one way portion of the Park Loop Road. As I'm typing this, I realize this won't work unless the driver collects the fee as the passenger boards.

On your return, please post how it was actually done.

SBtS

Yes, we're still planning to visit TH and will try out Ocean Path too. Thanks for the Ocean Path link.. it looks like an easy trail for us to navigate and I'm looking forward to all the scenic photographs that we'll be taking. Can't wait to get to Acadia National Park! All the photographs I've seen so far on the website are breathtaking! Now if we only had more time in port to take in everything. If we're taking the Island Shuttle, where do we pay the Entrance Fee?[/quote]

I've honestly never given when to pay much thought, but I think the the bus driver would have a head count and would pay at the booth at the start one way portion of the Park Loop Road. As I'm typing this, I realize this won't work unless the driver collects the fee as the passenger boards.

On your return, please post how it was actually done.

SBtS

For sure.. I'll let you know how we paid our Entrance Fee when I return in August. If you have any more tips/suggestions about Bar Harbor, please pass them along.

Yes, we're still planning to visit TH and will try out Ocean Path too. Thanks for the Ocean Path link.. it looks like an easy trail for us to navigate and I'm looking forward to all the scenic photographs that we'll be taking. Can't wait to get to Acadia National Park! All the photographs I've seen so far on the website are breathtaking! Now if we only had more time in port to take in everything. If we're taking the Island Shuttle, where do we pay the Entrance Fee?

There is a park office on the Village Green close to where you pick up the Island Explorer. We've always gone there to pay the entrance fee. The bus driver doesn't collect from people.

We've used the Island Explorer each time we've been in Bar Harbor and it makes life easy for visiting the park and being able to do your own thing. I love the Ocean Walk and then we pick up the Explorer and go to Jordan Pond House for lunch. I'm not sure which number bus that is, but we get the bus schedule at that park office as well as a park map.

The route #3 & #4 buses will get you to the start of the Ocean Path. The difference is that the #3 bus starts at the Village Green and only does the eastern half of the Park Loop Road. Teh #4 bus starts at the ANP Visitor Center and does the entire loop road.

You can start your trip with the #3 bus, and when you've completed your hike, flag down a #4 bus which you ride to Jordan Pond. At JP, you board an inbound #5 bus which will take you back to the Village Green.

SBtS

The route #3 & #4 buses will get you to the start of the Ocean Path. The difference is that the #3 bus starts at the Village Green and only does the eastern half of the Park Loop Road. Teh #4 bus starts at the ANP Visitor Center and does the entire loop road.

You can start your trip with the #3 bus, and when you've completed your hike, flag down a #4 bus which you ride to Jordan Pond. At JP, you board an inbound #5 bus which will take you back to the Village Green.

SBtS

I'm going to keep all 3 routes in mind when taking the Island Explorer. Hopefully the weather will be nice at the end of July.

There is a park office on the Village Green close to where you pick up the Island Explorer. We've always gone there to pay the entrance fee. The bus driver doesn't collect from people.

We've used the Island Explorer each time we've been in Bar Harbor and it makes life easy for visiting the park and being able to do your own thing. I love the Ocean Walk and then we pick up the Explorer and go to Jordan Pond House for lunch. I'm not sure which number bus that is, but we get the bus schedule at that park office as well as a park map.

Thanks. We'll pay our entrance fee at the park office. Based on your past visits to Bar Harbor and using the Island Explorer, this sounds like the best way to visit at our own pace rather than being tied to a time limited bus tour.

We will be cruising into Bar Harbor at the end of July. Planning to visit Acadia National Park and debating on whether to use the Island Explorer free shuttle or to take a 2.5 hours guided tour with a tour company. I'm leaning towards using the Island Explorer to get there because this would allow us to take in the sights and explore at our leisure rather than being restricted to the tour bus time limit. We really just want to visit the Thunder Hole and take pictures. Any thoughts about the pros of using the Acadia National Park Tour instead of the free shuttle?

We did what you want to do on the Island Explorer. The only problem was that Thunder Hole wasn't thundering :cool: I hope there's more action when you go. All the best, Tony

ohoSzar_dyY

We did what you want to do on the Island Explorer. The only problem was that Thunder Hole wasn't thundering :cool: I hope there's more action when you go. All the best, Tony

ohoSzar_dyY

Hi Tony, I checked out your video before of Thunder Hole and you've managed to capture your time in Bar Harbor really well. I looked up the Tidal information for Thunder Hole and we're not going to get any action either during our time in port. The tide is happening around 6 in the morning and we don't get into port until 8 in the morning however we are still planning to visit Thunder Hole, Ocean Path, and Sand Beach. Thanks for sharing your video and your experience.

Hi Tony, I checked out your video before of Thunder Hole and you've managed to capture your time in Bar Harbor really well. I looked up the Tidal information for Thunder Hole and we're not going to get any action either during our time in port. The tide is happening around 6 in the morning and we don't get into port until 8 in the morning however we are still planning to visit Thunder Hole, Ocean Path, and Sand Beach. Thanks for sharing your video and your experience.

No, that does sound a bit short of thunder :) but if there's no wind then it would only fairly gentle lapping of waves in any case. If I hadn't spent so long following the family into various shops faffing around to no great purpose I could have walked to Bar Island, although once I'd got there ..... so what ? All you really want is the sun to shine !

If you have a National Park Pass (Golden Eagle or whatever) remember to take it with you to get free admission. It worked for us in San Juan. Just an FYI.

If you have a National Park Pass (Golden Eagle or whatever) remember to take it with you to get free admission. It worked for us in San Juan. Just an FYI.

Thanks for the tip Donna. We're Canadians therefore we don't qualify for the National Park Pass. We don't mind paying the entrance fee as it goes to a good cause. Plus we're getting a free shuttle ride to Acadia National Park. Can't ask for anything better than that. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a word of caution, but the Island Explorer busses can be full during busy times. They run every 30 minutes but two in a row were full and we ended up going in the opposite direction just to ensure we got a seat and a ride back to the Village Green. Missed out on seeing Thunder Hole but there was no tidal action at the time anyway.

Just a word of caution, but the Island Explorer busses can be full during busy times. They run every 30 minutes but two in a row were full and we ended up going in the opposite direction just to ensure we got a seat and a ride back to the Village Green. Missed out on seeing Thunder Hole but there was no tidal action at the time anyway.

Thanks for the word of caution regarding the possibility of full buses. We will be the only ship in town that day but I'm sure there will be other tourists as well. I checked the tide schedule and there will be no tidal action during the time we plan to be there either. Oh well, there will be other stuff for us to check out. By the way, do you recall the maximum number of people allowed on the island Explorer? Do they allow people to stand on the bus if all the seats are taken?

I believe that there are 38 seats on the bus and that they allow around 8 people to stand as long as they are behind a line on the floor. There are also a couple of places in the park that more than one bus stops. Jordan's Pond is one of them and if you stop there for the popovers (a ritual from what I understand, but they get very busy!) you can switch to a different bus. Another tip, though, is that you will probably pick up a bus at the Village Green which is very close to the tender pier but not all buses stop there so be careful. I recommend you stop at visitor information first (a couple of blocks up the road from the pier) which opens at 10(?) to pick up a map, schedule and park ticket. The guy there was extremely helpful!

If you take the #5 bus from the village green I would recommend you switch to the #4 loop road bus at Jordan's Pond to see other areas of the park. The #5 goes on to Seal Harbor which is just a beach without much to see and then heads into another area outside the park before turning back. The #4 will take you to Thunder Hole, with or without the tide!

Please check the Island Explorer maps to verify the route numbers and stops!

I believe that there are 38 seats on the bus and that they allow around 8 people to stand as long as they are behind a line on the floor. There are also a couple of places in the park that more than one bus stops. Jordan's Pond is one of them and if you stop there for the popovers (a ritual from what I understand, but they get very busy!) you can switch to a different bus. Another tip, though, is that you will probably pick up a bus at the Village Green which is very close to the tender pier but not all buses stop there so be careful. I recommend you stop at visitor information first (a couple of blocks up the road from the pier) which opens at 10(?) to pick up a map, schedule and park ticket. The guy there was extremely helpful!

If you take the #5 bus from the village green I would recommend you switch to the #4 loop road bus at Jordan's Pond to see other areas of the park. The #5 goes on to Seal Harbor which is just a beach without much to see and then heads into another area outside the park before turning back. The #4 will take you to Thunder Hole, with or without the tide!

Please check the Island Explorer maps to verify the route numbers and stops!

I don't completely agree with some of the advice. I would suggest your take the route #5 bus or any bus that goes to the Visitor's Center. There transfer to the route #4 bus to do the Park Loop Rd. Otherwise, if you take the route #5 bus to Jordan Pond and transfer to the route #4 bus, you'll be boarding a route #4 bus which is inbound to the VC. About ¾ of the Park Loop Road is done when the route #4 bus stops at JP, and you would have already seen the last ¼ on the route #5 bus on your way to JP

To me, visiting Thunder Hole at the wrong time is just watching water splash against rocks. Some people like this, others don't.

The route #5 bus visits Seal Harbor and Northeast Harbor after it leaves JP. I think that NEH is very picturesque.

Also, I don't believe that the buses hold 38 seated passengers. The buses are not as big as a city bus but can not offer any proof at this time.

SBtS

SailBad is correct about the #4/5 overlap...I was working from memory and should have checked the map. You want to take the #3 bus from the Village Green, at Thunder Hole you can switch to a #4 to Jordan Pond, and THEN take the #5 from there which will get you back to the Village Green.

Northeast Harbor is picturesque, but when you have limited time to get back on a ship you have to pick things to leave out. Acadia/Bar Harbor area is impossible to cover in a short time, and it's unfortunate you have to allow 1/2 hour for the final leg of the #5 route to get back to the Village Green.

The whole area would take a few days to fully appreciate, considering the fact that some places like Thunder Hole need to be seen at very specific times!

I don't completely agree with some of the advice. I would suggest your take the route #5 bus or any bus that goes to the Visitor's Center. There transfer to the route #4 bus to do the Park Loop Rd. Otherwise, if you take the route #5 bus to Jordan Pond and transfer to the route #4 bus, you'll be boarding a route #4 bus which is inbound to the VC. About ¾ of the Park Loop Road is done when the route #4 bus stops at JP, and you would have already seen the last ¼ on the route #5 bus on your way to JP

To me, visiting Thunder Hole at the wrong time is just watching water splash against rocks. Some people like this, others don't.

The route #5 bus visits Seal Harbor and Northeast Harbor after it leaves JP. I think that NEH is very picturesque.

Also, I don't believe that the buses hold 38 seated passengers. The buses are not as big as a city bus but can not offer any proof at this time.

SBtS

Thanks again for your info SBtS and also to Vacation Guy for the info on the Island Explorer's seating capacity. All great tips to keep in mind when our ship docks on August 1st. With the limited amount of time in port, it is very difficult to try to see and do everything. I might have to skip Thunder Hole after all since there will be no tidal action at the time we plan to be in Acadia National Park.