"PEAR" Exercises

ljones

Every magazine/book lists squats & lunges as the best exercises for legs/butt. Aerobics say do step exercises - BUT everything I have read specifically for people who have larger thighs/butt (Pear shape) is that they should NOT do these exercises as it will increase your size. Saw Michael Thurmond who works on Extreme Makeover & he said the same. Well then, WHAT exercises do we do besides walking? Any suggestions???

No suggestions, as I'm an "Apple" shape. But I just wanted to say "hi" from a Washingtonian transplanted to Florida. I lived in WA for 48 years, (my favorite place to be) in Ephrata half the time and Lynnwood the other half. Planning to visit this June. I enjoyed seeing your signature line as I have many friends in Bothell. Have a great day. Cathy

bandc.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2004;06;27;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until our **STAR** search

Seattle to Alaska on NCL Star

June 27, 2004

Fantasy 12/25/03

Inspiration 4/13/03

NCL Majesty 12/27/02

Jubilee 3/23/02

Norwegian Sea 11/23/01

ljones.....I don't know this for a fact but I have heard (and have just started trying so no results yet)....knee lifts work the thighs and behind and also walking with your feet shoulder width apart works the thighs and behind. Good luck. I am hoping this works for me as those two parts are my largest and my biggest challenge.

ljones--

I, too, am a "pear," and I feel your frustration! I can tell you what worked for me. Despite what "they" say, I have found that a kickboxing class was the best for legs/butt. I've heard that pears shouldn't do kickboxing because there are squats involved, but there are so many other exercises involved, I found that it balanced out. I went to a kickboxing class--not a "TaeBo" class, but actual kicking and punching bags--a couple of years ago. I LOVED it! I used to be a runner, but taking kickboxing really made the difference when it came to lean muscle tone. My legs never looked better than when I took that class 3 times per week. Plus, I've never felt stronger. Amazing total body results.

Of course, this is just what has worked for me. Before kickboxing, I never thought I would find a fun exercise that actually made a difference for my body, but it really did.

I hope this helps!

~Ashley

Thanks for the suggestions, hope there are more...I know there are a lot more "pears" out there - maybe they are as frustrated as I have been in seeing the same exercises recommended but then reading they are "wrong" for my body type!

I'm a Pear, and I can tell u that squats and lunges aren't gonna make u big....women simply don't have the testosterone to get all bulked up....Cardio will reduce the fat(along with diet), and strength training will create muscle that increases your Basal Metabolic rate. This is what leads to long term weight loss and maintenance. I do squats and Lunges, and no one ever told me I was big there especailly in my teeny bikinis!! icon_smile.gif Don't worry, just do it!!

Celebrity Century

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;10;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Millenium Thanksgiving!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;11;21;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I agree with herbnjod. do the squats and lunges. Sprinting up stairs might also work. I use a thigh machine at the gym. I don't think it works.

I don't think I will ever lose my thighs icon_frown.gif

Pam

NCL Sea 4/04

NCL Norway 4/02

I'm a pear shape and here's what worked for me. After my knee surgery, the physical terrorist had me doing specific leg lifts on both legs to build the muscles. Guess what, the thighs and butt started shrinking. I'm up to lifting three pounds on each leg, but I don't do the exercises enough. I need to get back to them.

Also, squeezing your butt muscles together, even if you're sitting and watching TV helps in that area, or it helped me.

Host Miriam

Community Supervisor

ldrscruisemir7@aol.com

• 1 year later...

Doing squats and lunges without weights or very light weights WILL NOT increase your size! It will actually decrease them as the fats stored in and around the muscles are burned and will tone the muscle tissue giving your legs and butt a nice sleek look. In order to increase muscle size (any muscle) you would need to use heavy weights and low reps (I lifted weights for years). Using low weight and high reps increases definition and tone.

Archived