Anybody done a Times Square tour?

M. St. Louis

Hi,

We are doing Carnival Victory from New York 9/18. I found a free "behind the scenes" guided walking tour of Times Square http://www.timessquarebid.org/walking_tour.html

Has anyone done this? It is apparently 1-1/2 hours and includes interior and exteriors with historical info and operates every Friday at noon, rain or shine.

Times Square is the major tourist trap in Manhattan. I suppose, especially since it's free, that it would be ok. NY streets are absolutely mobbed at noon during the week because it's lunchtime.

I say give it a shot...you can always just leave the tour and go on your own.

Where are you staying in NY? Perhaps I can offer some guidance.

We absolutely love NY. It's one of our favorite places to be.

NYC experts,

Cruising out of NYC on 10/17. Flight times weren't good Sat nite or Sun AM, so we just decided to come in on Friday afternoon. Traveling w/ my dad's wife and neither of us have been to NYC. Looking for more interesting ideas:

Empire State Building Fri or Sat evening

Sightseeing cruise -- Which one? Worth the $$? Or just as good to take the Staten Island Ferry? Or just see the Statue of Liberty from the ship as we sail on Sunday?

Folk Art Museum -- My dad's wife is very crafty -- quilts, dolls, ceramics,... Thought she'd enjoy this.

Double-decker bus? Is it worth it?

Rockefeller Plaza? Today show taping? What time to get there?

Hotels? Hoping to get a 3* or 4* <$175 through Priceline or Hotwire, but the rates aren't there yet. Currently have a backup reservation for the New Yorker @ $169. We just need a clean, safe room.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Karla

Go to www.nyc.com

You'll find a plethora of info at this site. The Empire State tour has very long lines on weekends/holidays. Buy your tkts in advance for everything. All tkts for anything in NY that requires a tkt, can be bought online. If you can't find it on the site above, just put the name of whatever you're looking for in your search and you'll get a million sites.

Do the Harbor Lights (evening) cruise with Circle Line Cruises. It's gorgeous to sail on the Hudson and see the city & the Statue of Liberty lit up like no other skyline in the world.

Never did the folk art museum or the double decker bus. We do taxis & subways and walk with a map. I believe tkts for the shows have to be reserved waaaay in advance. I know Letterman is sold out for about 8 mos in advance. You go to his site and enter what dates you'll be in NY and they may or may not call you. No idea abt the Today Show.

If you're a aaa member, they hv great hotel rates on their website. We've booked Le Parker Meridien (4.5 Star) for $185/night where rooms usually start at $265+! Fabulous, fabulous hotel (imho) in a fabulous location! Within walking distance to Central Park, Carnegie Hall, Bloomingdales, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Carnegie Deli, The Plaza Hotel, Time-Warner Center, etc. Don't forget to check out the $5 burger place in the hotel. We walk and walk and walk when we're in NY.

Also, go to www.tripadvisor.com to check out ratings and info on all NY hotels. There's a wealth of info there also.

Good luck.

I go to NYC about 4 times a year for a few nights. For a bargain I stay at the Days Inn, Hojo both on 8th or Super 8. But the weekend you are going will be high dollar, your rate sounds good what you got. There will be at least an hour+++ wait on both Fri and Sat nights. As mentioned buy your tickets on line before you go. The Staten Island ferry is wonderful at dusk so do consider it. Also a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is great. I used to live in LI and have been going to NYC for over 30 years- so I have no first hand infor on the bus tours, but a lot of people seem to think them worthwhile and make good use of time.

Just off the Regal 9-11 sailing and we spent two days in NYC before the cruise. The Staten Island Ferry is great it will take you by the Statue of Liberty we went early in the morning just as the sun was starting to come up it was beautiful. We also walked across the Brooklyn Bridge both ways and then we did it again we enjoyed it so much.

We bought a metro pass and used the buses and subway to get all over the city it is so easy. And we walked miles and miles. New York is so fantastic you will love it.

Your best buys on Priceline will be about two days before you leave. We were able to get a great buy at the Grand Hyatt which was wonderful. We did have a backup hotel at one of Budget Queens suggestion.

We purchased our tickets on the internet to the Empire State Building and we went around 9:30 in the morning. We had no wait at all, but when we came down we noticed the queues were getting long.

Have a wonderful trip the ports are terrific.

Archived