company recommendation for renting suitcase scooter in UK

Husband hurt his ankle and is out of a cast but still using crutches occasionally and walking very slowly. I want to rent a very compact scooter we can use in some port excursions. He doesn't need it to get around the ship, just on some of the walking tours - which we will do ourselves if any tour guide objects to the scooter - but his pace is slow we might get to the first city site when we will need to turn around :-). Any one with any experience with these scooters?

It is very difficult to use a scooter in Europe. Few of the large cities have curb cuts so you will ride in the road most of the time. The cobblestones are very difficult to manoevre because the front wheel or wheels become stuck in the gap between the cobblestones. The also lodge in the trolley tracks for I g you to lift the scooter up manually and drag it across the tracks at the risk of being hit by a trolley or train, which is no joke.

We have done 5 European Cruises with the small folding scooter in the last 7 years and theonly city where we could comfortable use it was St Petersburg Russia, Stockholm Sweden and Tallin Estonia. We also used it in London.

I don’t even think you can rent a suitcase type scooter in Europe. We have a Travelscoot which is about the lightest or handiest and they would not be ideal for a broken leg or foot.

It is very difficult to use a scooter in Europe. Few of the large cities have curb cuts so you will ride in the road most of the time. The cobblestones are very difficult to manoevre because the front wheel or wheels become stuck in the gap between the cobblestones. The also lodge in the trolley tracks for I g you to lift the scooter up manually and drag it across the tracks at the risk of being hit by a trolley or train, which is no joke.

We have done 5 European Cruises with the small folding scooter in the last 7 years and theonly city where we could comfortable use it was St Petersburg Russia, Stockholm Sweden and Tallin Estonia. We also used it in London.

I don’t even think you can rent a suitcase type scooter in Europe. We have a Travelscoot which is about the lightest or handiest and they would not be ideal for a broken leg or foot.

Yes, some European cities are more difficult than others, but it depends where you go. In general the UK, Spain, France, Germany are accessible. A scooter like a 4 wheeler Pride Go Go would cope reasonably well, but you may need to get off now and then.

It depends on the ports of call and even then, it will mainly be the old centres of towns that have the cobbles.

I have taken my scooter to hundreds of European cities. It needs some research before you book/Go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

http://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/ rent scooters in the UK. According to their website they have a suitcase type scooterhttp://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/stowaway-morphic. We always hire a hoist from Mobility at Sea when we cruise and we have found the company to be reliable.

Yes, some European cities are more difficult than others, but it depends where you go. In general the UK, Spain, France, Germany are accessible. It depends on the ports of call and even then, it will mainly be the old centres of towns that have the cobbles.

We always cruise around Europe and I agree with the above comment. We have found that Norway and Sweden are mainly wheelchair friendly also.

Not sure which cities poster is referring to as we have not found this.

http://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/ rent scooters in the UK. According to their website they have a suitcase type scooterhttp://www.mobilityatsea.co.uk/stowaway-morphic. We always hire a hoist from Mobility at Sea when we cruise and we have found the company to be reliable.

We always cruise around Europe and I agree with the above comment. We have found that Norway and Sweden are mainly wheelchair friendly also.

Not sure which cities poster is referring to as we have not found this.

Forgot to mention DS is confined to a manual wheelchair and I mainly do the pushing. The reason I am mentioning this is because we actively avoid places that are not wheelchair friendly.:D

• 3 weeks later...
Husband hurt his ankle and is out of a cast but still using crutches occasionally and walking very slowly. I want to rent a very compact scooter we can use in some port excursions. He doesn't need it to get around the ship, just on some of the walking tours - which we will do ourselves if any tour guide objects to the scooter - but his pace is slow we might get to the first city site when we will need to turn around :-). Any one with any experience with these scooters?

Hi,

The companies that rent scooters will want to know height and weight of your husband so they can rent a scooter that meets his needs. It may mean that you won't get the type of scooter that you want.