Grandeur Bow Damage

Please forgive me if this has already been covered, but I just looked at a Nassau webcam, and Grandeur has some pretty significant damage to the port bow along the top / rail. Does anyone know what what happened, and when?

Please forgive me if this has already been covered, but I just looked at a Nassau webcam, and Grandeur has some pretty significant damage to the port bow along the top / rail. Does anyone know what what happened, and when?
Can u post an image?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me how to attach a photo to a post? It asks for a URL, but the photo is on my computer, not a webpage.

I know...sorry.

You have to upload the photo to a photo sharing site such as FlickR and then put a link to the photo in your post here.

Don't know if this will work, Cruise Critic is extraordinarily archaic in what it allows for pictures.

Grandure.png

No matter what I've tried, I keep getting told I'm missing "cookies" So I can't post any pics, doesn't matter to me...

Ugh...it sucks not being computer savvy. The photo I captured from the same website (with better, earlier lighting) clearly shows it's damage. The top edge of the hull plating is bent upward, and you can see where the steel plating was pressed in against the inner "rib" type framework beneath. Also shows what looks like lighter damage on the leading edge of the bow, below and forward of the anchor housing.

Given the poor quality and being unable to zoom on the photo, and my bad eyes, I can see what folks are talking about, but can't tell for sure what it is. Let's look at things one at a time.

The "damage" mentioned below the anchor could have been there for years, and likely will be there for the life of the ship. That type of "damage", where the contour of the dent is gentle and smooth, and doesn't affect framing (it looks "squarish" which means it's between frames) is not considered to be harmful to the ship's structural integrity in any way, and any repair to it would simply be cosmetic, and in that area of the bow, the steel plates are in "compound" curves (curved in two directions) which are exorbitantly expensive, so they tend to not be replaced unless required.

Now, I see what might be damage at the top rail, but again hard to see detail. I'm having trouble finding a good picture down towards the Grandeur's bow from the bridge area, but it appears to me that the bow mooring station is open to above, and this entire area of ship's side above the "slots" in the side for the mooring lines is simply "bulwark", or non-structural extension of the ship's side. Again, since this is a non-structural part of the ship, repair of nearly all damage (as long as nothing is dangling or in danger of breaking off) is not required, and any repair would be cosmetic.

Hull plating is not uniformly smooth, it will "pant" and bow between frames depending on the heating of the plate, so in the morning a given plate may be smooth, but in the afternoon there is a visible curvature inward. The plate is held at its edges by the framing, so thermal expansion has to "grow the plate in between the frames, causing the slight bowing. Whether or not this bowing is visible or not is also dependent on lighting and point of viewing. So, this "damage" could have happened years ago, and unless the right environmental and lighting conditions were there, you may never have noticed it. None of it looks fresh, but again I would need to see a bit closer.

You have to upload the photo to a photo sharing site such as FlickR and then put a link to the photo in your post here.
Easy to post images using Tapatalk directly to the site. No photo sharing with a url.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk