TUI - Beware of the small print (T&C's) Marella Cruise

I'm not sure how it works in the UK but in Sweden "travel insurence" is for things happening during the trip, not before the trip.

Get a better insurence company!

There's even some that will let you cancel for any reason...

I live in Sweden too ;-)

Totally agree - surely she should have taken insurance out to cover a legitimate cancellation and if not tough

We always have annual cover so we are always covered

Been thinking there cant be many legitimate reasons (covered by insurance) to cancel 7 months in advance.

I’m seeing a few comments on this thread re insurance. Do you guys book your insurance at the same time as you book your cruise? And if so how does that work?

I always thought it was only valid for the length of the holiday as you have to give them your travel dates.

I’m seeing a few comments on this thread re insurance. Do you guys book your insurance at the same time as you book your cruise? And if so how does that work?

I always thought it was only valid for the length of the holiday as you have to give them your travel dates.

We insure on booking as a yearly one doesn't work for us. I have pre existing medical conditions which tend to automatically include such things as cancellation before the holiday due to the medical condition. I am not covered if I change my mind about going if it has nothing to do with my condition, but cover is available at an extra fee of course. A large part of the premium is the medical cover while abroad on holiday particularly outside the EU as hospital costs can be huge in Asia and especially USA, Caribbean etc. We make sure that we have repatriation costs covered. On a recent cruise a passenger was airlifted by helicopter shortly after sailaway and the cost was £20,000 for that alone.

Without pre existing conditions, you pays your money and takes your choice. I personally wouldn't take insurance for a "change of mind" as for us it would not be worth it but maybe someone with heavy family commitements may want to for unforseen circumstances. As usual, shopping around can save a fortune - rarely have the same company twice as premiums roller coaster.

We insure on booking as a yearly one doesn't work for us. I have pre existing medical conditions which tend to automatically include such things as cancellation before the holiday due to the medical condition. I am not covered if I change my mind about going if it has nothing to do with my condition, but cover is available at an extra fee of course. A large part of the premium is the medical cover while abroad on holiday particularly outside the EU as hospital costs can be huge in Asia and especially USA, Caribbean etc. We make sure that we have repatriation costs covered. On a recent cruise a passenger was airlifted by helicopter shortly after sailaway and the cost was £20,000 for that alone.

Without pre existing conditions, you pays your money and takes your choice. I personally wouldn't take insurance for a "change of mind" as for us it would not be worth it but maybe someone with heavy family commitements may want to for unforseen circumstances. As usual, shopping around can save a fortune - rarely have the same company twice as premiums roller coaster.

Hmm interesting, we both have pre existing conditions. I’ll look into that this afternoon, thanks for the info.

Assume you are in the UK.

We have an annual policy with specific cruise cover so if you take a single policy it is a bit different. However it should still have cruise cover (docs bills on a ship are extortionate!) which should include cancellation cover. -from the time you take the policy out.

Care is still needed as there are not many that do cancel for any reason.

We tend to book with that ice house company and they send this

with booking confirmation. Sort of covers the op's gripe and your

ins query. Was for Marella/tui cruise.

We've taken a lower than standard deposit for this booking. The remainder of the deposit is due 8 weeks after original booking date by which point the remainder of the deposit should be paid in full. If you cancel your holiday prior to the 8 weeks due date, you will agree to pay the standard deposit in accordance with the tour operator's booking condition.

Insurance Excursions can be booked (subject to availability) up until 7 days prior to departure with Cruising Excursions. With the cruise operator it may not be possible to pre-book excursions inside of 21 days prior)

Travel insurance is an important element of your travel arrangements and is often a requirement to comply with your tour operator's terms and conditions. xxxTA have arranged comprehensive travel insurance at competitive rates, which you can book online at http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/travel-insurance/cruise.html?agent=WD303 It is a condition of booking that all of our customers obtain adequate travel insurance cover for their trip. We recommend that insurance is taken at the earliest opportunity so that you are able to mitigate losses as a result of any cancellation that you may need to make as a result of unforeseeable personal circumstances.

You are entirely free to make your own arrangements provided that the resultant policy affords cover comparable to that offered by TAxx and/or the tour operator. If you elect to make your own arrangements you will indemnify, and/or not hold responsible, the tour operator or travel agent for any costs that may be incurred as a result of not taking out adequate coverage.

If you click on the link for their suggested policy it does ask for the dates of the cruise but also covers cancellation so it will give you some idea.

NOTE this is not a recommendation it is just example info.

Edited by Aulanis

I don’t understand the OP to be honest, it just seems to be a rant.

You can change your booking for an admin fee so surely you would just do that.

I think it’s also worth bearing in mind that some people’s “legitimate reasons” are going to be very different to others: for some it means an operation or major medical procedure, for others it’s “my daughter is due a baby and I want to be there”. Both legitimate but obviously one can be covered by insurance, the other wouldn’t be.

It’s a shame people end up losing out on good holidays over stuff like this. At the end of the day Marella/TUI aren’t really missing out, they will just sell their holidays to someone else. It’s the consumer themselves who holds a grudge for something relatively minor who is the loser in it all :)

Uk travel insurance usually covers the cost of problems during the cruise, eg medical, lost baggage, missed departure out of your control.

It also covers cancellation for an insured reason, eg ill health, going on a waiting list for surgery etc (as long as pre existing medical conditions have been declared and agreed to by the insurer) and this cancellation cover applies from the date the insurance is taken out.

I usually arrange the insurance just before I pay the deposit or the airfare, just in case there are any delays or difficulties getting proper cover. I usually arrange this by phone, and there is a 14 day cooling off period, so I can cancel the insurance without charge if I can’t get the cruise I want or the airfare. Don’t want to do it the other way round and find that no one will cover our pre existing medical conditions.

I think the insurance issue is probably irrelevant here, as the problem would seem to be that it wasn’t necessarily clear that the OP would get clobbered with losing a bigger deposit than they had originally put down.

I would have been inclined to cancel the credit card I had paid with, and let the cruise company prove that they had made this clear. My assumption would have been, that up until final payment, all that would be lost is the deposit paid, and I would think that was a very reasonable assumption.