Packing Cubes

ChuckL88

Hi all

I am planning for my first cruise and just want to get opinions on packing cubes.

a) Do you use them and why?

b) Where did you get yours and price range?

c) How do you pack them e.g. rolling or folding?

d) What do you pack in them and how do you pack what you don't pack in them?

I love my packing cubes. For me they simplify the process of unpacking on arrival and repacking to leave. I pack alike clothes in each one (eg shorts and pants in one, undies in another) and on arrival I simply put the whole cube, unzipped, in the drawers or on the shelves. Because of this, I pack flat and folded into them for ease of use.

I pack the cubes on the bottom of my suitcase to form a flat surface and then the things I don’t pack in them can lie on top.

I have two different sorts, some nice sturdier ones from big w (were approx $25 for three, various sizes) and some cheaper ones from Kmart which I don’t anticipate are going to live as long! Should also mention that I’m in Australia.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love my packing cubes. For me they simplify the process of unpacking on arrival and repacking to leave. I pack alike clothes in each one (eg shorts and pants in one, undies in another) and on arrival I simply put the whole cube, unzipped, in the drawers or on the shelves. Because of this, I pack flat and folded into them for ease of use.

I pack the cubes on the bottom of my suitcase to form a flat surface and then the things I don’t pack in them can lie on top.

I have two different sorts, some nice sturdier ones from big w (were approx $25 for three, various sizes) and some cheaper ones from Kmart which I don’t anticipate are going to live as long! Should also mention that I’m in Australia.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Thanks Sonja :)

I am looking at buying the set you refer to from Big W, I seen that Kmart sells a cheap version didn't trust that they would work.

How are the ones from Big W? Did you only buy the one pack? and what size is the suitcase you use them in?

I bought some on ebay that didnt last long at all. The zips were really bad.

Ive also bought 2 sets each for hubby and myself from Aldi. They have been used every trip for the last 3-4 years. We average 3 cruises a year plus other travel. Stilll as good as the day I bought them.

I pack like Sonja01 although I roll rather than pack flat. I have enough packing cubes that only large things eg shoes arent in cubes. All my clothes are non iron casual so roll easily. I just unpack the bigger items and hang when we board the ship. I also use cubes for short trips can easily manage the 7kg hand luggage when using the cubes for 1-2 weeks.

I love my packing cubes. I got mine for Christmas one year but believe they came from Amazon. I also use one for each category of clothing. One for panties, bras, socks, swimsuits, one for skirts, dresses, one for pants, one for tops and one for pj's. When I get to my cabin I just take out the whole cube, (hang the dresses) leave the clothes in them, and put them in the drawer/shelf. So easy to unpack and pack and it helps me stay organized. When staying in a hotel, I just leave the clothes in the cubes in my suitcase. I generally roll the clothes before putting them in the cube, allows for more things to fit and less wrinkles.

I only recently bought some for a 3 week tour of the Kimberley and loved them. So much so that I bought a 2nd set of 3 for my Majestic cruise in 2 days time ! I’ve always rolled clothes and continue to do so in the cubes. I got mine from a bag shop in a shopping centre.

When cruising I use the cubes for the clothes, nightwear, etc, I need for the day or two of travelling from home to the port. I pack everything else using the bundle method - https://www.onebag.com/pack.html - which looks complicated but once you've had a trial run is simple and keeps everything neat and tidy and wrinkle-free as clothes can't shift around. Everything is in one giant parcel so it doesn't work well for getting out one or two things at a time but for cruising where you only unpack once, it's brilliant...and hence the need for packing cubes for the travelling day/s.

Will be travelling to Qatar, Israel, Jordan and Turkey next month then a cruise to PNG in December so I thought I'll try these cubes I bought today.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5pcs-Packing-Cube-Pouch-Suitcase-Clothes-Storage-Bags-Travel-Luggage-Organizer/113219913164?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Will be travelling to Qatar, Israel, Jordan and Turkey next month then a cruise to PNG in December so I thought I'll try these cubes I bought today.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5pcs-Packing-Cube-Pouch-Suitcase-Clothes-Storage-Bags-Travel-Luggage-Organizer/113219913164?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Oops. In my haste I forgot to check seller's feedback. Fingers now crossed.

I love them. I carry a couple of days worth of clothes in my hand luggage in one (twice now I've made flights that my luggage hasn't, being without at least one change of undies etc is not a risk I'm willing to take.). I flat pack the rest of my stuff in the others in my suitcase. I have more expensive Kathmandu ones but found the best (and most light weight) were about $8 from wish.

Chuck, the ones from Big W are great. We’ve used them a few time and they don’t show any signs of giving up. For a family of 4 we have two sets of big w, two sets of Kmart and a couple of hand me down Kathmandu cubes from my mother-in-law.

I forgot to mention that, like AKAMum, we also use one cube to keep a set of travelling clothes for all four of us if we are overnighting somewhere pre-cruise. Saves rifling around in every cube before unpacking.

I bought some on ebay that didnt last long at all. The zips were really bad.

Ive also bought 2 sets each for hubby and myself from Aldi. They have been used every trip for the last 3-4 years. We average 3 cruises a year plus other travel. Stilll as good as the day I bought them.

I pack like Sonja01 although I roll rather than pack flat. I have enough packing cubes that only large things eg shoes arent in cubes. All my clothes are non iron casual so roll easily. I just unpack the bigger items and hang when we board the ship. I also use cubes for short trips can easily manage the 7kg hand luggage when using the cubes for 1-2 weeks.

Thanks for the reply Tara :)

Yeah I am thinking about buying a set from Big W, didn't know Aldi stocked them might look there also. If I did buy any off of eBay or anywhere else online they would probably be an expensive well known brand.

I love my packing cubes. I got mine for Christmas one year but believe they came from Amazon. I also use one for each category of clothing. One for panties, bras, socks, swimsuits, one for skirts, dresses, one for pants, one for tops and one for pj's. When I get to my cabin I just take out the whole cube, (hang the dresses) leave the clothes in them, and put them in the drawer/shelf. So easy to unpack and pack and it helps me stay organized. When staying in a hotel, I just leave the clothes in the cubes in my suitcase. I generally roll the clothes before putting them in the cube, allows for more things to fit and less wrinkles.

Thanks for the reply

Sounds like it was a good Christmas gift, which brand are they?

Thanks for the reply Tara :)

Yeah I am thinking about buying a set from Big W, didn't know Aldi stocked them might look there also. If I did buy any off of eBay or anywhere else online they would probably be an expensive well known brand.

Aldi only have them when they do their travel specials so if you are in a hurry i would go Big W as they probably have stock all year round. I am guessing about 4 or so times a year Aldi has a travel specials catalogue.

I only recently bought some for a 3 week tour of the Kimberley and loved them. So much so that I bought a 2nd set of 3 for my Majestic cruise in 2 days time ! I’ve always rolled clothes and continue to do so in the cubes. I got mine from a bag shop in a shopping centre.

Thanks for the reply Thorpe

Sounds like the really helped, do you happen to remember the name of the bag shop?

I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

When cruising I use the cubes for the clothes, nightwear, etc, I need for the day or two of travelling from home to the port. I pack everything else using the bundle method - https://www.onebag.com/pack.html - which looks complicated but once you've had a trial run is simple and keeps everything neat and tidy and wrinkle-free as clothes can't shift around. Everything is in one giant parcel so it doesn't work well for getting out one or two things at a time but for cruising where you only unpack once, it's brilliant...and hence the need for packing cubes for the travelling day/s.

Thanks for the reply AKAMum :)

Love them...got ours from Katmandu many years ago. Pricier than elsewhere but no one else sold them them. Once you work out your packing system they are great.

Thanks for the reply Maxx, the ones Katmandu sell do you look great. I will try the set I am eyeing at Big W first before going for higher priced ones.

I’ve be using them for years. They were purchased from Kathmandu when they have 2 for the price of 3 sale. I also use them for travel adapters and other small items to keep them organised

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks cruisine21

I am also thinking about packing things like electronics and other misc items in small ones.

Oops. In my haste I forgot to check seller's feedback. Fingers now crossed.

Hi Lyndarra

Sounds like you have some amazing travels ahead, new to packing cubes as well are you?

Your seller has 100% positive feedback so should go well, let me know how they work and hope you have a good time on both your travels :)