Help, our cabin has been changed

Cruising95

Hello, I’m still fairly new to cruising ( been on p and o Britannia and royal Caribbean independence of the seas) and myself and my girlfriend booked a cruise on msc Preziosa (first time with msc) a few months back for May 2019 through cruise 1st - there was only a few cabin left to choose from - 3 to be exact - 2 of which were obstructed view and the one we chose - cabin 10192 which wasn’t an obstructed balcony - we specifically said no upgrades as we were happy with this room, we like slightly higher decks and towards mid ship - to our confusion we went online to our booking on msc today and for some reason, we have been moved to cabin 8128 - we don’t know why this has happened as we have done some digging and this being a lower deck, has the lifeboats on, it’s not classed as obstructed however is most definitely in the eyeline which we aren’t happy about - does anyone have any idea why this has been done? Or where we would start with having it changed?

The booking conditions state that your room can be changed, it could be that the original one was for more than two people and you have been moved to a cabin for two

You can always ring and ask to be moved back, sometimes it works but not always.

Does MSC do this often, move people if currently there are less booked than the room holds? I’ ve never heard of this practice and would be really upset if this is the case. I sometimes travel solo, so that means I could be moved at any time? I keep looking into MSC but the entertainment is what scares me. All the good reviews are from YC, so I think if I tried it, I would have to go YC.

Does MSC do this often, move people if currently there are less booked than the room holds? I’ ve never heard of this practice and would be really upset if this is the case. I sometimes travel solo, so that means I could be moved at any time? I keep looking into MSC but the entertainment is what scares me. All the good reviews are from YC, so I think if I tried it, I would have to go YC.

Why does the entertainment scare you? It is wonderful and most of the recent reviews make that point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The issue we have, is it states they can change the room at any time, however will place you in same or higher grade room, but we feel, as we’ve gone from a room with balcony that has no obstructed view and a higher deck away from noise, we have been placed directly above entertainment venues and in front of lifeboats so you can see them when you are on the balcony, so to us that is a downgrade in room

From the videos and trip reports i’ve read, i’m not impressed. Many have said it is the same group singing, acrobats, etc every night with a different theme but no story line. The highlight seems to be a Michael Jackson impersonator which is not my cup of tea either. I’ve only cruised NCL and am always impressed, actually awestruck, by their entertainment. I never thought entertainment would be that much of a factor for me, but it has been one of the highlights of my last few cruises. But NCL has usually two big shows for the week, broadway caliper productions, that are on two nights each, not a 30 minute different variety act each night. But, I keep checking out MSC since there are so many good reports about YC. We usually sail Haven. It sounds like YC is a similar product at a much lower price point, I just have to resign myself to just skip the shows.

From the videos and trip reports i’ve read, i’m not impressed. Many have said it is the same group singing, acrobats, etc every night with a different theme but no story line. The highlight seems to be a Michael Jackson impersonator which is not my cup of tea either. I’ve only cruised NCL and am always impressed, actually awestruck, by their entertainment. I never thought entertainment would be that much of a factor for me, but it has been one of the highlights of my last few cruises. But NCL has usually two big shows for the week, broadway caliper productions, that are on two nights each, not a 30 minute different variety act each night. But, I keep checking out MSC since there are so many good reports about YC. We usually sail Haven. It sounds like YC is a similar product at a much lower price point, I just have to resign myself to just skip the shows.

You're going to skip the shows based on other peoples reviews??? I have some land for sale in Florida if you are interested

You're going to skip the shows based on other peoples reviews??? I have some land for sale in Florida if you are interested

I’ve watched video snippets of the shows, most on CC some you tube. Welcome to 2018. Yes, I would rather skip them then walk out during the performance. Who knows, if I saw the land first, maybe I would be interested in purchasing.

I’ve watched video snippets of the shows, most on CC some you tube. Welcome to 2018. Yes, I would rather skip them then walk out during the performance. Who knows, if I saw the land first, maybe I would be interested in purchasing.

I'll send you some snippets and just tell you the land is nice ;p

One good thing is that 8128 is a significantly larger cabin than 10192, but I agree if you go to bed early you will hear the jazz club below you. Both cabins look down on the lifeboats, on deck 8 you are just closer to them. It is a bit strange you were moved as 10192 is a two person cabin, but I wouldn't get too upset yet as I bet some better cabins come available as the full payment date approaches. Hopefully your travel agent is willing to help you without penalty if you try to change cabins later.

One good thing is that 8128 is a significantly larger cabin than 10192, but I agree if you go to bed early you will hear the jazz club below you. Both cabins look down on the lifeboats, on deck 8 you are just closer to them. It is a bit strange you were moved as 10192 is a two person cabin, but I wouldn't get too upset yet as I bet some better cabins come available as the full payment date approaches. Hopefully your travel agent is willing to help you without penalty if you try to change cabins later.

How do you know the cabin size is different?

And from the photos we’ve seen, the lifeboat is right in front of the balcony so there would be a noticeable different from being on a higher deck with nothing in front of you

We booked Divina for the second time for this Xmas to follow on from Seaside last Xmas and for our 8th MSC cruise, decided on one of the Bella Juliet balconies on the back of the ship having had Deck 10 previously on the first TA crossing, it came with WiFi and the All Inclusive drink package and at the price could not be turned down.

After a few weeks we were moved to Guarantee status! Which is not the same or a higher category, luckily spotted that the cabin was on open sale and our TA managed to get the cabin back for us.

Since then we decided to move to Aurea but not without a fight over our deposit or the price.

Eventually MSC agreed to our TA's request.

Shidah ... Being in the YC does not magically transform the shows and most of the entertainment takes place outside it.

Edited by sidari

Regardless than the less than satisfactory view, you were moved to a much better cabin. Your previous cabin is one of the small balcony cabins with no interior seating but the stool at the desk. And a smaller balcony. Your new cabin does not have a couch, but does have an easy chair. It is one of those that has a tub/shower, instead of a shower only.

This is what your original cabin was like:

enhance

enhance

enhance

This is what your new cabin looks like:

enhance

enhance

Balcony for size comparison:

enhance

I would not trade a deck 10 smaller balcony with the bigger deck 8 balcony with lifeboats and right above the Promenade deck. To me, the obstructed view and reduced privacy is a downgrade instead of an upgrade.

Thanks for the info, so do not all balcony cabins have a sofa in? Even msc own deck plan and room description leads you to believe they all have a sofa in?

Also Can I ask how you find all this info? I searched the msc website and others and cannot find details like what each room has.

Does the new room have a bath in as well??

I need to post a caveat here: My pictures are from Divina, and I was assuming that the same cabins that have tubs on Divina would have them on Preziosa. That may not be so, although pics and videos I found on cruisedeckplans do show some of those same cabins with tubs. In fact, in searching cruisedeckplans.com, I even found cabins with tubs on Fantasia and Splendida. EM

I am not sure where you live?

But from MY perspective, also a NCL Haven cruiser, seems I could cruise YC and make a trip to NYC, see a few broadway shows... and still come out ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To each his or her own, of course, but why not just grab a seat near the back so you can leave unnoticed if you don't like the entertainment? At least then you can say you've seen it for yourself before making a judgement. I've sailed with both Norwegian and MSC (each more than once), and I can assure you MSC's entertainment is spectacular. Among other things, it's one of the major selling points for the line. That said, many Americans don't enjoy it because it's not the safe, standard Las Vegas- / Broadway-style entertainment they're used to. But that's what you get on ships that cater to people who speak multiple languages.