Uniworld ‘River Queen’ Recent Reviews?

BarbaraB2

Uniworld canceled the River Queen’s 2019 scheduled renovation.

I am booked on it in April 2019 and would like to hear from anyone who has recently been on it. How was the condition of the ship, how was the service onboard, and most importantly, how was the food?

I was on the River Queen twice in 2016 (Tulips and Windmills in April and Rhine/Moselle in September). I thought that the ship was in very good condition, the service impeccable and the food first rate. I would have no hesitation taking another cruise on her.

I have just returned from a 16 day Budapest to Amsterdam sailing on the River Queen June 20th - July 5th. We were delayed in Passau for a couple of days due to a barge running aground which of course was not Uniworld's fault. How they handled the problem was less than satisfactory in the eyes of many. The lack of communication was a major issue and an alternate game plan was practically non existent.

The ship itself is in fine shape. Cabins are small ( 150 sq. ft.) but ours was tended to by one of the best housekeepers we have experienced in over 40 ocean cruises. The dining room wait staff was generally very good although hamstrung by some of Uniworld's policies. Substitutions were strongly discouraged. I don't find substituting scrambled eggs in place of a poached egg on Eggs Benedict a major request but they did. The chef was visible and friendly. Sadly most meals were mediocre at best considering this is an upscale product with expectations to match. In my view, he did not have a clue how to cook fish which felt poached at every presentation regardless of description. The best dish of the trip was a lamb wellington served at lunch one day by the carver in the buffet line. It was gone in a flash with no replacement. Meals were simply too ordinary. Common complaints were that they could do better at home in their own kitchens. Not what you expect at these prices.

The bottom line begs to ask the question. Would I sail on Uniworld again. Probably not, even with the $500/PP future cruise credit offered because of the river mishap.

I have just returned from a 16 day Budapest to Amsterdam sailing on the River Queen June 20th - July 5th. We were delayed in Passau for a couple of days due to a barge running aground which of course was not Uniworld's fault. How they handled the problem was less than satisfactory in the eyes of many. The lack of communication was a major issue and an alternate game plan was practically non existent.

The ship itself is in fine shape. Cabins are small ( 150 sq. ft.) but ours was tended to by one of the best housekeepers we have experienced in over 40 ocean cruises. The dining room wait staff was generally very good although hamstrung by some of Uniworld's policies. Substitutions were strongly discouraged. I don't find substituting scrambled eggs in place of a poached egg on Eggs Benedict a major request but they did. The chef was visible and friendly. Sadly most meals were mediocre at best considering this is an upscale product with expectations to match. In my view, he did not have a clue how to cook fish which felt poached at every presentation regardless of description. The best dish of the trip was a lamb wellington served at lunch one day by the carver in the buffet line. It was gone in a flash with no replacement. Meals were simply too ordinary. Common complaints were that they could do better at home in their own kitchens. Not what you expect at these prices.

The bottom line begs to ask the question. Would I sail on Uniworld again. Probably not, even with the $500/PP future cruise credit offered because of the river mishap.

Thank you for your detailed reply to my questions. I was on the Maria Theresa in May on a Danube cruise and had a very similar experience regarding the food. ‘ Mediocre at best’ was my exact description of it as well. I was hoping to hear that the food was similar to the excellent experience we enjoyed in December on the Joie de Vivre. I hope that Uniworld reads these reviews and takes steps to resolve these issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums