Calico Jacks, Royal Palms or Hemingways?

KKB

OK...it is down to these 3

Here is what I am hearing:

Calico Jacks;

$30 for 2 chairs & umbrella plus food/drink

Caribbean themed

Cheapest food choices--bar food-like

Royal Palms:

$43 to get in/chairs/umbrellas plus food/drinks

More upscale

Food a bit more than CJs but more choices, better quality?

Heminways:

$30 minimum food/beverage purchase gets you umbrella plus chairs (so seems cheapest choice overall)

Also more upscale

Food choices sushi-focused. Not sure DH would go for the beach menu

There is a burger or tenders on the kids menu-- he would be happy to order those.

Anything I've missed?

I am truly STUMPED which one to pick. I am a value girl, and Hemingway's fits the bill; but DH is NO sushi fan...

Any thoughts? Info I have wrong or more info that could help our decision?

Which is closest to where the ship will dock?

When are you travelling?

Hemingway’s is rumoured to be closing in September 2018 or at least sometime this fall, and Royal Palms *may* close at some point in the next few years to be replaced by a hotel.

That may help with the decision.

Royal Palms is closest to the port, and Calico Jacks is the furthest, with Hemingway’s about halfway in-between the two.

Calico Jacks, IMO, always seems a bit more crowded than Royal Palms. I’ve never been to Hemingway’s to compare.

If you have kids in your travel party, they can’t use the pool at Royal Palms. Haven’t heard about whether Hemingway’s lets kids in their pool. Calico Jacks often has inflatables out in the water on the Public Beach side, and there’s also a playground there as well.

Charleysmom & I both cruise this coming weekend! So closures not an issue.

No kids so that isn't an issue.

I continue to lean toward Royal Palms even if it is a bit pricier...I like it is close to the port, not as crowded, menu looks good.

Thanks!

I continue to lean toward Royal Palms even if it is a bit pricier...I like it is close to the port, not as crowded, menu looks good.

Thanks!

Hmmm... so “not as crowded” is my primary criteria, along with big umbrellas where we can stay shaded. I had the impression that Royal Palms was more crowded than Hemingway’s which was a big part of why I was leaning in that direction. Curious if you have seen a comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Closest" is the difference between a 13 minute drive (Calico Jack's) and a 7 minute drive (Royal Palms) - Hemingways is 8 minutes - so I wouldn't make that the deciding factor between which you go to.

Calico's food is more the bar food, Royal Palms is a little more upscale in quality with prices to match. I like the food at Hemingways but it is an Asian-Caribbean fusion which may not appeal to all.

If I had the choice between the three, no kids, quality of food, less people etc., I would pick Hemingways.

We'll be visiting on the Miracle September 21st and have designated GC as our beach-plop day. Last port stop of the cruise and will need it after adventurous excursions in Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. I also had narrowed my list to these three locations. I eliminated Calico Jacks as I want access to a pool. The other two are equally nice and look to offer similar amenities, with the exception of the cost for chairs/umbrella at Royal Palm. That's the kicker for me. $43 at RP is $43 I can spend on lunch and drinks at Hemingway's (not to mention I like the overall look/vibe I get from this property). I'm choosing Hemingway's. I hope it is still open when we visit since I saw the post about the property being sold. If it's closed, we'll probably go to RP, but I'm still not sure the frugal side of me will spring for $40 for chairs and an umbrella for a couple of hours. Beach towels work just fine. :)

Oh, and my hubby is picky eater too, but I showed him the Hemingway's menu and he said he'd be good with the burger, wings, quesadillas or steak sandwich.

We'll be visiting on the Miracle September 21st and have designated GC as our beach-plop day. Last port stop of the cruise and will need it after adventurous excursions in Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. I also had narrowed my list to these three locations. I eliminated Calico Jacks as I want access to a pool. The other two are equally nice and look to offer similar amenities, with the exception of the cost for chairs/umbrella at Royal Palm. That's the kicker for me. $43 at RP is $43 I can spend on lunch and drinks at Hemingway's (not to mention I like the overall look/vibe I get from this property). I'm choosing Hemingway's. I hope it is still open when we visit since I saw the post about the property being sold. If it's closed, we'll probably go to RP, but I'm still not sure the frugal side of me will spring for $40 for chairs and an umbrella for a couple of hours. Beach towels work just fine. :)

Oh, and my hubby is picky eater too, but I showed him the Hemingway's menu and he said he'd be good with the burger, wings, quesadillas or steak sandwich.

Please post back here after your trip how your visit was there!

So... we spent the day at Hemingway’s and it’s a mixed bag from me. Will be curious what KKB has to say.

We got there around 9 and had plenty of loungers to choose from so we got a pair in the first row facing the beach. Within the next half hour to 45 minutes it got pretty full. Apparently some of the cabdrivers were not giving clear instructions on how things worked and a number of people were upset that they were expected to purchase anything exchange for use of the chairs & umbrella. The big sign did say people were expected to spend CI$20 per lounger (not the CI$30 per umbrella that I was quoted (which wasn’t an issue for us)

It got crowded, but not overly so and one of the pools was totally empty. The food was great, but added up. We spent a little over $100 US for two drinks each, a lobster quesadilla and a poke bowl. Drinks were so so, food was great. 0695dd98b9a324eca1447c787b99d8ec.jpg

The loungers were pretty, but not very comfortable if you were trying to read. The backs only had two positions, one partially reclined and the other flat. I struggled to get comfortable with my Kindle. The beach was pristine with soft sand and the water was so nice!

d1740c7285261c6216b2ebd030f6e9b9.jpg

There wasn’t much of a breeze so it got hot... it was a land breeze so the old hotel buildings blocked it. My husband walked down the beach and said some areas were a lot cooler.

So the bad part...the bathrooms. Based on all the photos online, I figured the restaurant areas would be open, but when I asked where I could go to change into my bathing suit, they directed me to a bathroom that was almost part of the construction zone. When I went in to get changed, it had just been cleaned so while it was in rough shape, at least it was clean. When I needed to actually use the bathroom a bit later, conditions had deteriorated substantially and it was absolutely disgusting! Several of the toilets were clogged and there was toilet paper everywhere. In hindsight, I realize I should’ve said something to someone immediately, but I was kind of shocked and I just didn’t think about it in the moment. Apparently no one else did either, because when I went back to use it again before leaving, it was every bit as gross.

Overall, the property photographs much better than it actually looks in person. It is definitely not as upscale as I imagined it would be. Very curious how it compares to Royal Palms and what KKD thought. 40f3e85f1bd7f84661f794755def132a.jpg

Edited by charleysmom

How much was the taxi to get to Hemmingways? Any talk of when they are going to close? Do you have any idea how far away it is to go downtown from there to shop and walk around? Is it within walking distance? Thanks

How much was the taxi to get to Hemmingways? Any talk of when they are going to close? Do you have any idea how far away it is to go downtown from there to shop and walk around? Is it within walking distance? Thanks

Our taxi driver charged us five, but it sounds like others only charged four. Also, I use the term “taxi” somewhat loosely… They are actually smallish vans and they wait for a full load before they leave. The ship tenders to an area with a bunch of local shops and there is part of the gate that is labeled to ground transportation. You will see lots of tours headed in that direction. That is also where you go to catch the taxis. You’ll see a small stand on your left that is the Dispatch station. I would say it took 10 to 15 minutes max to get there. Have no idea when they’re going to close… Other threads have said September. I would say it is too far from downtown to walk back, but you can easily take another taxi back and they drop you off by the shops. We actually took the “public bus” – another term I use somewhat loosely - back. He charged us $2.50 per person. The “bus“ had capacity for about four more people than the “taxi.” As we were leaving, there were probably half a dozen of us standing outside Hemingway’s looking confused and trying to decide what to do when just pulled up and asked if we were headed back to the cruise ships. It’s all a bit wacky, but it seems to work.

We've been trying to decide between Calico Jack's & Royal Palm's. After reading some reviews, I think we're leaning more towards Royal Palm's. I saw on their website today that you can reserve your umbrella & 2 lounge chairs ahead of time. They don't charge you until you are there but nice to know that we will have chairs waiting for us.

We went to Hemingways last week and loved it. We rented a cabana since there were 9 of us including a 2 year old. We were treated fantastic. Sheila waited on us throughout the day. She would even come in the water to pour our champagne (which came with the cabana) and bring us drinks. Food was very good. It was pricy but Grand Cayman is expensive and I have had much worse food and drink on the island for more money. We enjoyed every minute of it and are sad they are closing.

Thanks!

We’d stop there when staying nearby because they have a great burger and fish sandwich, but we’ve never seen RP not crowded when ships are in. Unless the other options are even more crowded?