Shimizu port - Mt Fuji and other local attractions

lifewell

How difficult to do sightseeing near Shimizu port on your own? Can you provide more info about local attractions and how to get there? Can you recommend local tour operators there? Thank you

• 1 year later...
Anyone got any information on Shimizu please ?

I have not yet been to Shimizu but will do so on 30 Sept.

Here is what I have been able to find during my research.

This for our cruise is the closest port to go to see Mt Figi.

This is one of the most scenic ports in Japan and a Water Taxi costs about 250 yen one way,

They have the big ferris wheel.

S Pulse Dream Plaza is 4 stories high on the waterfront.

Not much I know but we will enjoy our time anyway. Sue

• 3 weeks later...
How difficult to do sightseeing near Shimizu port on your own? Can you provide more info about local attractions and how to get there? Can you recommend local tour operators there? Thank you

In case it's any help, from a land holiday there I did this on the day I went to the Mount Fuji Visiting Centre. Good luck, Tony

[YOUTUBE]6vOWe8phHiM[/YOUTUBE]

After sending mails to a few agents, some have the office in NY and said only US citizen can make a reservation with them.

Well finally I have a guide and taxi. We will have a tour to see the country side. Uguda or something like this is the place called. Looks really nice.

they offered a tour going more than a 1000 steps down which takes you to the village and to the beach.

Dont know if i done the right thing, but still can change the tour if I want.

Very expensive! Taxis are expensive but Celebrity charges 150$ per person and this way we pay maybe a bit less.

General info on Shimizu: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6354.html

I've not been there, but I'd be inclined to go see Tokugawa Ieyasu's shrine; it looks comparable to the one in Nikko, without the crowds. Plus a view of Mount Fuji: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6353.html

Alternatively, check out the view from Miho beach:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6355.html

General info on Shimizu: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6354.html

We are going to follow the information in the referenced Japan Guide.

Probably take a taxi to the Shin-Shimizu train station near the port. From there a day pass for the local train and bus is 1,200 yen.

We can then look around the Shizuoka station area and take the bus up to the ropeway for the Kunozan Toshogu Shrine.

From the top, there will be a choice to take the ropeway back down or walk the 1,000 steps down the front. Since time is short we will probably take the ropeway back down.

If the day is clear, Mt. Fuji will be visible from here. We went last year on October 7 and it was overcast. Keeping our fingers crossed for this year.

Tom

• 2 years later...

Hi.

Does anyone know precisely where cruise ships such as Diamond Princess will berth at Shimizu Port, Japan. We are berthing there on Monday 20th November 2017, arrive 7:00am depart 4:00pm. ?

Looking at options of doing my own thing and need to know where we will berth to work out best options re public transport bus/train etc. either from Shimizu, Shin Shimizu or Shizuoka station.

I have checked a few sites and found Shimizu Port stretches for many kilometres along the city waterfront of Shizuoka . Access to the rail(and connecting bus networks located at train station) can be accessed from both JR Shimizu Station (a 5 minute walk from Kashi-no-Ichi Market) or the Shizuoka Railway Shin-Shimizu Station (a 15 minute walk from S-Pulse Dream Plaza, depending upon where the ship actually berths.)

Alternatively, as precise berthing details (according to Princess) are sometimes not known until closer to the date, has anyone berthed at “Shimizu Port” on a past cruise? If so, from memory, where did your ship berth, near S-Pulse Dream Plaza or further north, closer to Shimizu Station. Also, if with Princess, was there a free shuttle to the to a train station or city centre, if so where do they drop off.

If all else fails, I might send off an email to Official Shizuoka City Tourism Website, asking the questions re travel to specific locations.

Any advice appreciated.

You'll be dropped at the Hinode wharf. This is the one near S-pulse dream plaza.

When we there on Millennium the city did have a half hour shuttle that actually stopped near both railway stations. It was a very nice port visit, one of my faves in Japan.

The Big M

Thanks for your prompt response on Shimizu Port.........it fits some other port references I've come across.

As you might know, there is some confusion about the destination "Shimizu"....with the Shimizu City historically incorporated under Shizuoka City in 2003, although references still exist in local location names , such as "Shimizu Port", "Shimizu Station" and "Shimizui-ku Ward" etc.

Just to add the confusion there is another town referred to a Shimizu (Shimizu-chō) on the Kano River in Suntō District of Shizuoka Prefecture, just 50km north but inland, with definitely no port facility. Apparently Shimizu is a common family in Japan and there are other towns called Shimizu's around the country.

You'll be dropped at the Hinode wharf. This is the one near S-pulse dream plaza.

When we there on Millennium the city did have a half hour shuttle that actually stopped near both railway stations. It was a very nice port visit, one of my faves in Japan.

• 11 months later...

Hi.

We will be doing a B2B on the Millenium in September 2018 with a stop in Shimizu on the first cruise as well as on the 2nd one a few days later. We are considering travelling to Tokyo from Shimizu on our first stop and have tentatively reserved an excursion with Celebrity for our second stop in Shimizu. Did you do a tour or on your own? We will be doing most ports on our own, but weren't sure about this one. Thank you very much in advance for any advice! Catherine

We followed the Japan-Guide and did this port on our own on the Millenium in 2014. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6354.html

We walked to Shin-Shimizu station, bought the day pass for local trains and buses. From Shizuoka station, we took the bus up to Nihondaria, then the ropeway up to to the Kunozan Toshogu Shrine. Very nice day and a very good view of Mt. Fuji from up top.

Interesting to note: It looks like the train/bus day pass is still the same 1,200 yen that we paid in 2014.

Like TFcruiser, we did this on our own. It takes a bit of preparation/research depending what you're interested in. Also, we had cloud on the day which isn't uncommon but blocked the good views of Mt Fuji, so keep that in mind with any excursion planned.

However, it's quite accessible being a level up to 30 min walk to facilities like rail and car rental, plus shops. The closest, S-dream shopping plaza is only about 10 min walk away. Alternatively I would expect there to be shuttles to the rail stations as well.

Magnificent blog !

Shimizu is a nice port. We docked there in March and in April on ms Volendam. The first time we could see Mt. Fuji from the sea, from the port, and from shore. The second time it was overcast, and she was hiding.

We took a Holland America tour the first time.

On our second visit I walked around the port area. There was a free shuttle (block or two away) downtown, probably to the train or bus station. Shopping was available near the ferris wheel (longer walk), but I enjoyed the dockside shopping stalls the most. Especially the lady selling kimonos, obis, etc, etc. Walk to the corner building at the end, and they were dressing passengers in kimonos. We felt so welcome, and the local people were really glad to have us there.

Barbara

We followed the Japan-Guide and did this port on our own on the Millenium in 2014. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6354.html

We walked to Shin-Shimizu station, bought the day pass for local trains and buses. From Shizuoka station, we took the bus up to Nihondaria, then the ropeway up to to the Kunozan Toshogu Shrine. Very nice day and a very good view of Mt. Fuji from up top.

Interesting to note: It looks like the train/bus day pass is still the same 1,200 yen that we paid in 2014.

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated!