Blue Grotto (Malta) thoughts/ experiences?

My DA thinks she would like to visit the Blue Grotto

(on Malta). Our port for Malta is Valletta. We are there

on a Sunday which means that St. John's is CLOSED!

Good grief- what I really wanted to see.

Oh well, so has anyone visited this Blue Grotto?

I have watched some things on YouTube but the rides look

very short and sweet.

TIA

Edited by nini
added colored text

I've done the boat ride, its about 45 minutes long. It was a fun ride and then after we did the boat ride we walked up the hill .... and over to the Hagar Qim ruins. Its less than a mile walk. Then we took the bus back to Valetta, but make sure you know when the last bus leaves as its quite a trip back.

Just to specify we were on a land vacation, I don't know how this will fit into your port schedule.

My DA thinks she would like to visit the Blue Grotto

(on Malta). Our port for Malta is Valletta. We are there

on a Sunday which means that St. John's is CLOSED!

Good grief- what I really wanted to see.

Oh well, so has anyone visited this Blue Grotto?

I have watched some things on YouTube but the rides look

very short and sweet.

TIA

Have just returned from cruise on MSC Seaview and whilst in Malta we arranged a private tour through Malta Tours. We were a party of five. We were met at the port gates at 9am by our guide Audrey and we had a seven seater car waiting with a charming driver. Audrey was fantastic - so knowledgeable and she made the whole tour so interesting. We made our first stop at the Blue Grotto and were one of the first boats to go out. We avoided the huge crowds of the ships tours by arranging a private tour and were able to visit places where no coach could negotiate the narrow roads through the villages. The Blue Grotto was amazing and I would recommend it highly (the tickets for this were Euros 8 each extra). The boat ride lasted 45 mins and each cavern had something unique about it. The colours were awesome and the rock formations spectacular. The boatsman was very interesting and nothing was rushed. It was very safe - everyone had to wear the life jacket provided. For anyone who cannot manage the steep slopes up and down to the jetty there is even a little shuttle cart service for Euro 1 each way - I made use of this as I have mobility problems.

From the Blue Grotto we went to Dingli Cliffs which were really lovely. We then went on to Rabat and Medina (the silent City) where we walked through the quaint cobbled streets. There is also the horse drawn carriage which will take you around if you do not want to walk too much but we took a leisurely stroll around. Audrey showed us all the places where they had filmed Game of Thrones in Mdina and we also learned that she and a couple of the carriage drivers had been extras on the film set (we saw her photos to prove it and we can now say we have met one of the stars of the film!!). We had free time in Mdina and had enjoyed some delicious coffee and cake in one of the restaurants and afterwards did some souvenir shopping.

Audrey did give us the option to be dropped off in Valletta and for us to make our own way back to the ship (about 15 min walk) but as we have visit Malta before we asked to be taken back to the ship. We got back to the port at around 2.30pm. The cost of the tour with the guide and driver was 240Euros for us all - far cheaper than the ships tours and so much more relaxed and hassle free.

A most enjoyable tour.

Suron

Edited by suron
Missed info

Thank you both for the feedback. It sounds like it would be worthwhile

Suron- Do you have the website of the company you booked through?

All that I could find was a company called hellomaltatours.com

and they do not list a tour like the one you took..

TIA

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We toured Malta a couple of months ago,  we were awed by Hagar Qim!  Unfortunately it was too windy so the blue grotto trip was cancelled.  We also visited Mdina and enjoyed it before being dropped off downtown. It was with Malta tours as well. 

20 hours ago, bennybear said:

We toured Malta a couple of months ago,  we were awed by Hagar Qim!  Unfortunately it was too windy so the blue grotto trip was cancelled.  We also visited Mdina and enjoyed it before being dropped off downtown. It was with Malta tours as well. 

Do you have contact info or a website for this company? I can't find anything called Malta Tours. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

Do you have contact info or a website for this company? I can't find anything called Malta Tours. 

Thanks!

Sorry shouldn't go off memory ,  Touring Malta.com 

Edited by bennybear

They have several.   We chose a half day that visited Mdina, Hagar Qim, and the blue grotto.  We visited St Johns  co cathedral in the afternoon on our own.    I would not miss Hagar Qim or the Cathedral, both amazing.  We also enjoyed Mdina.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2018 at 11:51 AM, suron said:

Have just returned from cruise on MSC Seaview and whilst in Malta we arranged a private tour through Malta Tours. We were a party of five. We were met at the port gates at 9am by our guide Audrey and we had a seven seater car waiting with a charming driver. Audrey was fantastic - so knowledgeable and she made the whole tour so interesting. We made our first stop at the Blue Grotto and were one of the first boats to go out. We avoided the huge crowds of the ships tours by arranging a private tour and were able to visit places where no coach could negotiate the narrow roads through the villages. The Blue Grotto was amazing and I would recommend it highly (the tickets for this were Euros 8 each extra). The boat ride lasted 45 mins and each cavern had something unique about it. The colours were awesome and the rock formations spectacular. The boatsman was very interesting and nothing was rushed. It was very safe - everyone had to wear the life jacket provided. For anyone who cannot manage the steep slopes up and down to the jetty there is even a little shuttle cart service for Euro 1 each way - I made use of this as I have mobility problems.

From the Blue Grotto we went to Dingli Cliffs which were really lovely. We then went on to Rabat and Medina (the silent City) where we walked through the quaint cobbled streets. There is also the horse drawn carriage which will take you around if you do not want to walk too much but we took a leisurely stroll around. Audrey showed us all the places where they had filmed Game of Thrones in Mdina and we also learned that she and a couple of the carriage drivers had been extras on the film set (we saw her photos to prove it and we can now say we have met one of the stars of the film!!). We had free time in Mdina and had enjoyed some delicious coffee and cake in one of the restaurants and afterwards did some souvenir shopping.

Audrey did give us the option to be dropped off in Valletta and for us to make our own way back to the ship (about 15 min walk) but as we have visit Malta before we asked to be taken back to the ship. We got back to the port at around 2.30pm. The cost of the tour with the guide and driver was 240Euros for us all - far cheaper than the ships tours and so much more relaxed and hassle free.

A most enjoyable tour.

Suron

On 7/21/2018 at 11:51 AM, suron said:

A most enjoyable tour.

Suron

what was the website/company you used