Best Key Lime Pie?

allen.crawford

• 3 weeks later...
After reading through this thread, I am now officially planning on eating my body weight in Key Lime Pie next week.:eek:

Just be sure to have the chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick as your final tasting, else you might not try the others.:D

Mike:)

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be in Key West on Sunday, March 29 from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. One of my requirements for the trip is of course key lime pie. I've been perusing the forums here as well as looking around online. I am pretty sure I'd like to go to able Heaven, but I'm concerned about how long the wait could be. If there's available space at the bar, would we be able to just get a slice there with a shorter wait? Or are there any other key lime places that put meringue on their pies that could be an option as well? Thank you.

• 1 year later...
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be in Key West on Sunday, March 29 from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. One of my requirements for the trip is of course key lime pie. I've been perusing the forums here as well as looking around online. I am pretty sure I'd like to go to able Heaven, but I'm concerned about how long the wait could be. If there's available space at the bar, would we be able to just get a slice there with a shorter wait? Or are there any other key lime places that put meringue on their pies that could be an option as well? Thank you.

There will be a wait on Sunday since you won't be able to be at Blue Heaven when they open at 0800. If you wait until around 1000 or so then you should be able to be seated right away; but it will fill up again near 1100 for lunch. I have never seen anyone eat at the bar but that is not to say that it can't be done. We are having breakfast there on Saturday after you so sorry I can't check before then.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
THAT is my idea of key lime pie. Looks just like when I make it at home. I know purists will say it should have whipped cream instead of meringue, but I LOVE meringue.

Where is Blue Heaven? Or rather, how do I get there from the port?

Actually, a true KLP purist insists on a baked custard style with meringue. As a salt water conch, I never had no bake cheesecake style with whipped cream until I grew up and moved away.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
There will be a wait on Sunday since you won't be able to be at Blue Heaven when they open at 0800. If you wait until around 1000 or so then you should be able to be seated right away; but it will fill up again near 1100 for lunch. I have never seen anyone eat at the bar but that is not to say that it can't be done. We are having breakfast there on Saturday after you so sorry I can't check before then.

Realise this post is a couple of years ago, but to update I was able to get a slice of key lime pie at the bar on a Sunday lunchtime. It was very, very busy. Think we may have had to wait up to an hour to get a table.

• Thanks 1

The Island Fish Company and Tiki Hut just north of Key Colony Beach, Marathon has a Key Lime pie concoction quite different from any I've tried. It is a deep fried key lime pie that is wrapped in a cinnamon sugar -sprinkled tortilla crust, then fried. I don't recommend this for dieters or those suffering from high cholesterol.

By the way the above is a fun restaurant and bar on the water (Gulf side) with a large menu that included a wide variety of food, not just the usual Florida Keys fish and sea food items.

The name of this place is Porky's and it has the best frozen then fried key lime (even better than my home made one!). The place is an open air bar/restaurant with a docking spot at the back. The chef is the owner (along with her husband) and is from Germany. If you go by Marathon, stop in, you won't be disappointed.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, friendly old broad said:

The name of this place is Porky's and it has the best frozen then fried key lime (even better than my home made one!). The place is an open air bar/restaurant with a docking spot at the back. The chef is the owner (along with her husband) and is from Germany. If you go by Marathon, stop in, you won't be disappointed.

How far is this from the port?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, ezemoney said:

mattheesson's homemade on duval (106) . great keylime pie and even better cookies!

I am currently in Key West, and I have been to Mattheeson’s twice.  I sort of randomly wandered in to their smaller location one day, and found the lady behind the counter to be so nice & genuine that I decided to try their delicious key lime pie. (With whipped cream added.). The following day,  I went to the larger location on Duval and purchased one of those HUGE cookies with a couple different kinds of chips & pecans.  If you are a cookie lover, don’t miss this place.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/17/2020 at 10:06 PM, CruisinGirl777 said:

Hoping to get some really good key lime pie soon. 

Have to come back and say that we ended up getting amazing Key Lime Pie at Kermit’s. And they have a plethora of other great items too. We will definitely go back. We got in just before the lockdown last March. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would be willing to bet you will not find a pie using real key limes.... LOL But they'll still taste good.

First time I was introduced to key lime pie was my step-grandfather. His family homesteaded what was is now downtown Miami back in the very early 1900's. Wish now I'd listened to more of his stories. He already had a bit of dementia when i last saw him. I was 21 at the time.

I took a road trip with my 91 year old Dad and we drove to Key west. He lived there during WWII while his Dad worked on the Liberty ships they were making. As a kid my Dad worked part time as 'fire-watch' for the welders.

16 hours ago, PatnJudy said:

I would be willing to bet you will not find a pie using real key limes.... LOL But they'll still taste good.

Unless they've changed there recipe at some point, Blue Heaven uses real key limes.

• Thanks 1

Unless they've changed there recipe at some point, Blue Heaven uses real key limes.

True key limes are hard to find, especially commercially. Most have been replaced by Persian limes. Back in the 1920's a hurricane wiped most of the commercial key limes. The true key limes are much smaller and tarter than regular limes.  I'm betting that now they sell ANY lime raised in the area as a "key" lime. Just makes economic sense.

• 6 months later...