Vegetarian options

bevandroger

Is the vegan "T-bone steak" cauliflower? mushroom? other? just curious, thanks.

It's based on red wild rice, in the shape of a steak, with daikon or jicama as the "bone", and a nice mushroom gravy. Interesting and tasty, but not something I'd order over and over.

I want to thank everyone who took time to read and respond to my inquiry. As SLSD mentioned, there are many reasons that one might follow a vegetarian lifestyle. For medical reasons Roger attempted to "cut back" on animal products last year, only to realize that he needed avoid them as much as possible to improve his health. However, sometimes it is difficult when going out to eat (especially with others) to find something besides salad and unadorned pasta...thus salmon occassionally. At home, he is the cook, and I eat what is served! Love reading all these threads and am hoping to meet some of you on our cruise. Bev

Bev, I hope you and your husband have a wonderful time on your Seabourn cruise. I think perhaps your best option to to go through your travel agent and ask her/him to alert SB to your husband's need to avoid animal products for medical reasons. I am assuming that eating all the various cheese tarts and tortes would not be the best thing for him either. I can envision that some great meals can be made for him. I'm almost envious as my one complaint about food on SB is that it is not that healthy. Of course healthy options can be found if you look for them, but I am still remembering a long ago Silversea voyage and it's "spa menu". I loved it.

I like to think that he will find some great things to eat at Earth and Ocean (see that recent thread).

I think we all know that the label "vegetarian" is used loosely. One thing I love about this board is that you can be certain you will be corrected if anything you offer or suggest is not entirely in line with the strictest definitions. Keeps us honest (and well informed). I am just teasing of course. I enjoy this group with all of your various points of views and preferences.

Here's something important to remember: People are vegetarians for various reasons. Sometimes it is an exclusion of beef for health reasons. Sometimes it is an avoidance of beef--most of the time. It is not always an animal cruelty issue.

Of course at the same time, some people also avoid dairy products for health reasons. In that case, all the cheese based tortes and tarts would not be an option. I provided what I could see from the menu that might come close to an option for some.

Thank you for all the work! I have had several of those and they are delicious.

Do not forget that many are seriously vegetarian for religious reasons, and cannot deviate, just as some will not touch any alcohol for religious reasons ( a Muslim colleague of mine dashed into the restaurant restroom to induce vomiting when she was enjoying a Tiramisu the group had ordered, for the first time, and learned to her horror that it contained an alcohol product).

SB attempts to respect all dietary preferences, whatever their basis, as best possible, but choices will be a bit more limited for vegans than for meat and fish eaters or vegetarians.

As someone who's pescatarian when cruising, I can say that Seabourn is not my favorite line for vegetarian food. Your best bet is the Restaurant, and making special requests. (Had a fabulous vegetarian Indian dinner, specially ordered.) The Colonnade is very rarely veggie-friendly. If your ship has Earth and Ocean, that venue also has some good veggie choices. So helpful that they give you the menus the night before so you can decide.

The Patio has a veggie burger that's yummy and made onboard, but it's not on the menu so you have to know to ask.

My biggest issue with cruising while vegetarian on the majority of cruise lines is that vegetarian options are meant to look fancy and involve a lot of pasta and cheese, while there is a real lack of vegetarian proteins (tofu, beans, lentils, etc.). Also always ask specifically about soup stock when contemplating a vegetarian-sounding soup.

Erica, SB may not have as many vegetarian protein choices as bigger ships do, but they still have enough to meet healthy adult daily protein needs at meals and snacks, even from cheese based pastas:

Cheeses have protein:

https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/cheese-high-in-protein.php

So do pastas:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-pasta.htm

And if eggs or nuts are incorporated into a pasta, even more so!

An ex-boyfriend was a hardcore moral vegetarian ( after seeing a cow suffering as it was incorrectly killed for meat by someone who did not know what he was doing), so I landed up spending a lot of time learning about his special needs and that was when I started enjoying special delicious vegetarian recipes.

Tofu and bean and lentil dishes are indeed a bit harder to get on SB unless you special order and plan but even though doable, are not critical. As more cruisers become vegetarian, I anticipate cruise lines will expand their choices.

Am getting hungry for my next cruise, talking about all this :)

I guess I should have said not as much diversity in proteins vs. lack of. And don't get me wrong -- I love me some cheese and pasta! But sometimes I get bored with them. Or feel like I'm gaining too much weight! (And the bigger ships don't necessarily have the edge here, either, in my experience.)

The great thing about Seabourn is that you can special order, and the crew is so lovely about trying to accommodate.

Hello Erica,

We enjoyed meeting you and Gina at the Oceania Marina's CruiseCritic's cocktail party in February, 2017 at James' super duper suite. Thanks for your hints about the specially ordered Indian dinner in the Restaurant and the veggie burger at the Patio. Exactly what I was looking for. Bev

Yes, that's right! And that suite was incredible. ;-)

Enjoy your Seabourn cruise -- it's a great line! And you can special order (with 24-48 hours notice) whatever type of meal you like, whether that's Indian or Thai or a specific dish. I find with Seabourn and vegetarian eating that you will have the best results if you just ask for what you want (do you have tofu you can add to that stirfry? can you make this interesting dish without the meat?), rather than assume that if it's not in print on a menu, you can't have it.