Athens-Dubai

fudge

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone cruised Athens - Dubai? The reason I ask is that we do not like sea days, there are 5 consecutive on this cruise. We have had a fantastic price just mailed by our TA. The cruise days are Jordan to Oman.

Thank you in anticipation.

I love sea days, so not a problem for us. I suppose if you like the rest of the itinerary then go for it, pretend the 5 sea days are just a bonus to catch up and rest. Especially if you are doing Petra in Jordan, that is a heavy walking tour on uneven ground.

I absolutely love sea days! I've wondered about this itinerary as the price is so reasonable. Can someone shed light on that?

Shed light on what? Why the cruise price is so good? It's because this and the reverse are not very popular cruises and are treated pretty much as re-positioning cruises and offered at a price which reflects that.

This cruise used to be better as it used to stop in Egypt but that ended a few years ago even though I don't find Egypt to be that unsafe. Now there's just Jordon and the bit I also loved which was the day going through the Suez canal.

If you like sea days and enjoy 5 days of downtime there's really no better cruise for the money than this one, you get a little bit of med at the front, Israel if that's on this itinerary, Suez and then a lot of relax. That's why we originally did it, just to enjoy the cruising. The ship is also doing a decent speed so there's a constant breeze.

If you don't like sea days, as the original poster said, this may not be the cruise for you. The next leg is usually Dubai to Singapore passing through India. That has fewer sea days although still some and is also quite often reasonably priced, so perhaps that might work out better for a traveller who likes to get off the ship every day or two.

Hi , We are on this Cruise all the way to Singapore from Athens . Lots of sea days after Aqaba Jordan due the fact we are going through the Red Sea/Yemen which is a very unsettled part of the World.

The next stop Salalah in Oman will be the safest possible given whats going on in the area !

Price for 37 nights under $10k pp for Guarantee Balcony .

Well they aren't going to suddenly add port days out of the blue so the cruise is what it is I'm afraid :)

The price is certainly reflective of essentially a repositioning cruise but might I suggest one with added benefits.

We did Athens to Dubai and then went on to Singapore. I thought there were some memorable ports of call. There was also Mangalore but the less said of that he'll hole the better :)

A bit of a taste of what you're likely to encounter. Most of the ports of call start at around 4.15 in the video but there is Suez footage before that.

HYAqTzEeOzE

Henry :)

Henry,

Thank you sharing that stunning video, really professional, it would grace any luxury lines library.

Thank you also to other posters for their input.

Watching that video and the price I have been quoted I cannot resist. We actually live in Cyprus so the 1hr 15 minute flight to Athens at a cost of 37 pounds sterling makes it a no brainer really.

We did Athens to Dubai and then went on to Singapore. I thought there were some memorable ports of call. There was also Mangalore but the less said of that he'll hole the better :)

:)

That's much the same thing I was trying to convey. The ports between Dubai and Singapore are a little better than those from the Med to Dubai and that cruise is only a little more costly. Athens-Dubai is really for those who want to stay on the ship barring a couple of days at the start.

We didn't love the Indian ports that much either, but we did at least get off in a couple and found a few things to enjoy.

Mumbai is one of those wish list experiences, returning to the spotless luxury of the ship was most welcome.

I liked Cochin. A great day of sightseeing, buffet lunch then dip in the pool with the crew as they enjoyed some R&R.

My wife won't touch anything that's not been cooked on the ship so when we do the excursions in India we'll aim to either sit out the lunch or do excursions without a lunch/food option. What trips in Cochin and Bangalore are worth doing?

Thanks for the video Henry, we just booked the Dubai to Singapore leg, we have visited most of the places before (did an Athens to Abu Dhabi on Celebrity, spent 6 months travelling India, lived in Singapore for 2 years), just booked it as it is a good deal and we want to try SB.

How did you go with the Indian visa, did you get the evisa or the traditional?

Regards

James

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Athens to Dubai and then went on to Singapore. I thought there were some memorable ports of call. A bit of a taste of what you're likely to encounter. Most of the ports of call start at around 4.15 in the video but there is Suez footage before that.

HYAqTzEeOzE

Super WOW!! And well-deserved praise for Henry. What an amazingly superb andgreat production. Appreciate your excellent sharing. While it's been some time since we have sailed with Seabourn (Athens to Istanbul in 2006), we are getting ready in mid November to be doing an Athens to Dubai sailing with Oceania. Fortunately, we will have stops in the Holy Lands, Egypt, Petra, etc., over these twenty days.

BUT, tell us more about your video production secrets, tools, tips, etc. Loved the camera moves. So smooth and professional. It's as if you had a "Steadycam". How was it all accomplished? Also thought the music was wonderful, etc. Perfectly edited, too.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 32,504 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

First things first. I totally understand the not eating anything off the ship idea in India. I ended up getting a little taxi from the port in Mumbai and just driving around. I had a late lunch in the Taj Palace Hotel which affords views over the Gateway of India and is as clean as India gets.

Cochin was another taxi from the port ending up at the Taj Malabar hotel close to the ship. A good buffet lunch then relax by the pool. They do a deal for a lunch & resort usage in the restaurant. I think it was around $30 per person but please don't quote me :)

The video technique....

I actually gave an impromptu talk on Sojourn over the Christmas & New Year trip offering some tips and have been meaning to get in touch with SB regarding a more formal programme covering stills, video and also a few shore side wanderings with guests.

I shoot everything on a Canon DSLR or a Panasonic camcorder. I do take a slider / tripod with me for added luxury but you have to be careful not to over use or rely on it. Make sure the image is still decent.

Editing is Final Cut Pro 10 on my old MacBook. I used to use the free iMovie software but found importing from the camcorder tricky. As soon as I gave Apple a couple of hundred bucks for FCP 10 all of a sudden my MacBook recognised the camcorder :)

Music wise that was the amazingly talented Katy Shotter who was holding court in the TK restaurant bar. Great fun and creative she kindly provided a few tracks for me to play with.

I do everything on board but wait until the end of the cruise to upload to YouTube on account of the slow internet. I do distribute via memory stick to any crew who want it as a momento to show their families exactly what they do.

I shoot everything on a Canon DSLR or a Panasonic camcorder. I do take a slider / tripod with me for added luxury but you have to be careful not to over use or rely on it. Make sure the image is still decent. Editing is Final Cut Pro 10 on my old MacBook. Music wise that was the amazingly talented Katy Shotter who was holding court in the TK restaurant bar. Great fun and creative she kindly provided a few tracks for me to play with. I do everything on board but wait until the end of the cruise to upload to YouTube on account of the slow internet. Henry :)

Appreciate, Henry, this great follow-up and these various details, background, insights, etc. It seems that the slider/tripod is your "secret" for how you do those super smooth moving shots. Very well done. Those types of camera techniques make a huge, positive difference in the quality and visual interest. Inspires me to do more such video captures during upcoming travels.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 210,134 views for this posting.

Used well the slider adds massively to the professional feel. It's a bit of a hassle to drag around so sometimes when ashore I don't bother.

The real key to good video is keeping the camera still (not withstanding slider use) and letting what you're filming create the movement.

My editing formula is a simple one. Essentially 4 second clips so as not to bore the viewer with any one sequence. Being ruthless during edit is difficult and requires viewing as a third person. It doesn't matter how hard the shot was to achieve or how proud you are of it, if it doesn't work you have to bin it !

I was on the Maiden Voyage of the Encore from Athens to Dubai. Fantastic cruise. I also love sea days but the most incredible experience on this cruise was the day in Jordan and seeing Petra. Seabourn made it especially memorable as they only know how to do. Would go again.