Wheelchair Advice PLEASE - MIAMI PORT

ddlb

I have a question for wheelchair or walker users at the Miama Port.

First of all my friend needed a wheelchair at the Port Canaveral port on our last cruise and had to walk from the shuttle where we dropped off our luggage to the handicap check-in area to get one. I had been told by our TA she would be able to get one right at the port. This was painful for her and took a long time. But we were new to the whole situation.

Now my husband needs a wheelchair for long distances. He can walk slowly for short periods without pain. I am trying to determine if I should bring a wheelchair for him to use to get to our cabin from the shuttle drop off area and push it myself or if I should utilize the wheelchairs provided for this purpose by Norwegian. He would not need one once on ship. How far would he have to walk?

I am so new to this whole thing I don't know what to do or what to expect! If anyone has any input or advice please respond. In addition my friend will be on the cruise too and I can't push 2 wheelchairs at once.

First of all my friend needed a wheelchair at the Port Canaveral port on our last cruise and had to walk from the shuttle where we dropped off our luggage to the handicap check-in area to get one. I had been told by our TA she would be able to get one right at the port. This was painful for her and took a long time. But we were new to the whole situation.

Now my husband needs a wheelchair for long distances. He can walk slowly for short periods without pain. I am trying to determine if I should bring a wheelchair for him to use to get to our cabin from the shuttle drop off area and push it myself or if I should utilize the wheelchairs provided for this purpose by Norwegian. He would not need one once on ship. How far would he have to walk?

I am so new to this whole thing I don't know what to do or what to expect! If anyone has any input or advice please respond. In addition my friend will be on the cruise too and I can't push 2 wheelchairs at once.

My husband sounds like yours. He can walk short distances but not from the terminal up to the ship. Actually I too, have some problems. We do reserve them ahead of time through NCL. As soon as we check in we are directed to the area for waiting. I would suggest you do that but if your friend can not even walk that far I don't know what to tell you. Apparently the cruise line can not bring the wheelchairs any further than to the terminal.

We're just off the Sky and Mom needed the same level of assistance. (She is 90.) we dropped off luggage, walked across the street (where an officer stopped traffic for us and encouraged her to take her time) and walked into the building immediately in front of us (both steps and a ramp). Security is right there and then a short hallway till you get to the NCL employee managing wheelchairs. You give him your name and cabin number and sit down. People are taken on to the ship in the order you check in. It was as smooth a process as I've seen. Let NCL know in advance support is needed. Then you will also get instructions in your cabin about how to get wheelchair support for excursion days.

Hope this helps! Not sure what to tell you about friend with no ability to walk short distances.

My husband has a similar issue & I've decided to bring his transport chair & push him myself. There's a lot of walking once onboard & as long as I have the chair with me, if he's tired, we can use it rather than stay in the cabin because his legs are bothering him.

You can't take the word of a TA. You MUST contact NCL's Access Desk prior to the cruise to made any and all arrangements.

What about accessible cruising?

Norwegian believes that the fun and excitement of Freestyle cruising should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. That's why we are committed to providing all of our guests the freedom of choice to cruise your way. In order to assist you with any special requirements you may have, Norwegian has a seasoned group of cruise professionals who are specifically trained to meet your needs through our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel (866-584-9756). Norwegian's team of Access Coordinators at the Access Desk have experience in furthering Norwegian's mission to provide a safe and accessible cruise experience for all guests with special requirements to the extent that is feasible. The Access Desk Coordinators will discuss with you your needs and expectations for your cruising experience. You or your travel agent will be contacted so that we can try to meet your needs prior to your cruise as soon as we receive your Special Accommodation Requirements Information form available from our Access Desk. In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

My husband has a similar issue & I've decided to bring his transport chair & push him myself. There's a lot of walking once onboard & as long as I have the chair with me, if he's tired, we can use it rather than stay in the cabin because his legs are bothering him.

This is exactly what we do. But we also have a scooter waiting in our room from Special Needs at Sea which my husband uses once we can get in our room. There are too many times when we have assumed places are short walks that turn out to be long walks. We always have the transport chair to use or have as a back-up.

Ship's are long with lots of walking. Same with many docks. You might onsider renting a scooter. They can be tried out at mobility stores. They have been a life saver for my husband on cruises.

My sister-in-law has mobility issues, and she ordered a scooter for onboard usage on the Bliss last week.

However, you will find you often can’t take them off the ship because most vehicles used in the excursions can’t handle motorized wheelchairs or scooters. Also, while the mobility challenged are protected by the ADA in the US, the Caribbean can be much more challenging. A scooter certainly won’t work on a tender.

For off-ship mobility, we borrowed a walker (a Rollator), one that has a seat and folds easily. Those were handled by all the excursions we did in Alaska. If she didn’t need the seat, she used it to help carry more souvenirs!

Because it folds, I would think it would be useful in the Caribbean as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can't take the word of a TA. You MUST contact NCL's Access Desk prior to the cruise to made any and all arrangements.

What about accessible cruising?

Norwegian believes that the fun and excitement of Freestyle cruising should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. That's why we are committed to providing all of our guests the freedom of choice to cruise your way. In order to assist you with any special requirements you may have, Norwegian has a seasoned group of cruise professionals who are specifically trained to meet your needs through our dedicated toll free number for accessible travel (866-584-9756). Norwegian's team of Access Coordinators at the Access Desk have experience in furthering Norwegian's mission to provide a safe and accessible cruise experience for all guests with special requirements to the extent that is feasible. The Access Desk Coordinators will discuss with you your needs and expectations for your cruising experience. You or your travel agent will be contacted so that we can try to meet your needs prior to your cruise as soon as we receive your Special Accommodation Requirements Information form available from our Access Desk. In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email to accessdesk@ncl.com or have your travel agent contact us.

yes, you can call and they are very helpful or you can ask your TA to do this for you. A good TA is more than willing to assist whenever they can. At least ours does.

yes, you can call and they are very helpful or you can ask your TA to do this for you. A good TA is more than willing to assist whenever they can. At least ours does.

Yes, I agree. You can be proactive and CALL to ASK about accommodations. FINDING and WORKING with a reputable TA is also a great idea. Either of these requires action and follow-up by the guest.

As I said, you simply can't take someone's word for it. Remember the Boy Scout motto.

This is exactly what we do. But we also have a scooter waiting in our room from Special Needs at Sea which my husband uses once we can get in our room. There are too many times when we have assumed places are short walks that turn out to be long walks. We always have the transport chair to use or have as a back-up.

Ship's are long with lots of walking. Same with many docks. You might onsider renting a scooter. They can be tried out at mobility stores. They have been a life saver for my husband on cruises.

Renting a scooter is a great idea as long as you're dealing with a reasonable person. I rented one last year & it stayed in the cabin all week because DH refused to use it!! He is extremely vain & felt the scooter would make him look "old & sick." I don't imagine me telling him he was old & sick helped much :D but I was more than a little po'd.

We managed fine without it but it's more than a year later & he's less stable on his feet so he's agreed to taking the chair. I may end up pushing it the entire cruise but I'm not spending the money on a scooter that I know he won't use. Besides, he's a really bad driver so everyone onboard will be much safer! :')

I cannot walk distances or stand for lengthy times and travel with a Rollator. There is no charge by airlines to check through to you destination. ( I use airline terminal wheelchair assistance in the airports)

The beauty of a Rollator versus a Walker is the built in seat, and a pouch for personal items. When you get tired, you sit down . You also go to the Handicapped check in station and board faster. Rollators can cost as little as $69.00 to $200.00 Difference is larger wheel size, sturdier frame and manner of folding up and locking. My more expensive one can be wheeled when folded up. Cheaper one have to be carried when folded. Having my Rollator enables me to walk at the same pace as others when doing shore excursions and sitting down when ever I become tired. You should see the envy and comments by other elder cruisers on shore excursions. No problem on tenders as they weigh less than 20 lbs. I refer to mine as my Farrari. (it's red)

P.S. It also has hand brakes so when going down slopes, it is a safety feature

Edited by EDLOS
More Info

I cannot walk distances or stand for lengthy times and travel with a Rollator. There is no charge by airlines to check through to you destination. ( I use airline terminal wheelchair assistance in the airports)

The beauty of a Rollator versus a Walker is the built in seat, and a pouch for personal items. When you get tired, you sit down . You also go to the Handicapped check in station and board faster. Rollators can cost as little as $69.00 to $200.00 Difference is larger wheel size, sturdier frame and manner of folding up and locking. My more expensive one can be wheeled when folded up. Cheaper one have to be carried when folded. Having my Rollator enables me to walk at the same pace as others when doing shore excursions and sitting down when ever I become tired. You should see the envy and comments by other elder cruisers on shore excursions. No problem on tenders as they weigh less than 20 lbs. I refer to mine as my Farrari. (it's red)

P.S. It also has hand brakes so when going down slopes, it is a safety feature

Hubby has a

rollator and never uses it: he says it is too hard to fold up, so he used his walker when we are going to be doing a lot of walking. We borrowed one a few years ago from a friend, one that folds to a very small size. He loves it. For what he needs it for it works great. It was interesting on our cruise about a year ago: there were 8 of us traveling together, ranging in age from early 60s to 80 and 5 of the group did use some type of mobility devise.