Epic shower, toilet and sink

We’re on Epic in two weeks, for the first time.

I don’t think this will bother me particularly. Even with normal cruise cabin bathrooms my partner and I always make a point of doing.... numbers twos... in the public bathrooms.

The bathroom/shower set up on the Epic was certainly efficient. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so.

I mean... I guess two people can shower and use the restroom at the same time...

534679_4791316389971_998859680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=cdf35ccff445983c307e10a835a24aa6&oe=5BF5A71868077_4791316469973_799540002_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a19d7ff6129027b7f702a39392ac5466&oe=5C35C0DB

The annoying thing, for us, was having the sink right across from the bed -- when my wife was getting ready and I needed to get from one side of the room to the other, I had to climb over the bed. This can be avoided by having the bed by the balcony, but you need to select your cabin carefully.

just found this thread. We haven't sailed Norwegian in years and I looked up this thread after comment about weird bathroom design while learning about the new Celebrity Edge ship. Sounds like many passengers are 'making it work'. To be honest for the money I spend on a cruise 'making it work' is unacceptable. Sending your spouse onto the balcony while you sit on the can... or saying hello to guy bringing room service while you are in the shower. jamming towels under the tracks during rough weather? Dealing with water on the cabin floor splashing out of the sink. Sorry no thanks. Too weird for me. Last Norwegian cruise were were on ... we both got norovirus and let me tell you... we had a junior suite and were able to place our very dirty laundry in a tub... and keep the door shut until next team with hazmat suits came to disinfect the room... I can not even imagine... well I guess I can and not a pleasant image. :|

I’m glad I read this. I wouldn’t book this cabin if I was traveling with a friend. I just wouldn’t. I guess it would be okay if I was traveling solo, but I wouldn’t like water on the carpet, etc. The concept of ‘making it work’ by going to the gym or spa is just not acceptable to me. What a terrible idea. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ve been on epic multiple times. There is a curtain to close if you don’t want your ‘shadow’ showing to a friend. The separate toilet arrangement is great as means one can go to toilet whilst the other is in the shower. I’ve never had water going into the carpet. We don’t order room service when in the shower and have the do not disturb sign on whilst we are showering etc. We always chose the bed by the balcony so didnt have the sink issue. I’ve travelled with a friend once and also with my husband and both times never had any concerns. The doors are not see through like a window!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The same opaque glass is also the only thing (no curtain) that separates the shower and toilet user from anyone entering the cabin. If you are traveling with friends or children it is not a very good arrangement. It is not designed to be "European". It was designed to give hallway access to the plumbing wall behind both the shower and the W/C. By splitting them they can both be placed on the outside wall.

We have sailed on the Epic 7 times and have no problem with it.

There is a privacy curtain between the bed and the toilet/shower to avoid the frosted glass prep show. It basically creates a “bathroom” when you close the curtain. Not a big deal.

People make a big deal about it, but we have been in many boutique hotels in the US and Europe with similar setups. No problem.

I've been to hotels with similar setups and wished I'd booked something else. The bathrooms are why I've avoided the Epic. It also looks (if I remember correctly from pictures) like the sink is right next to the bed.

Because I have to get up a lot at night, I think it would wake DH if I were not be able to close the bathroom door to keep the light out of his eyes and the toilet flush and sink sounds as quiet as possible.

I'm not sure where you got the notion that the toilet and the shower "are not behind closed doors."

There are doors, which just happen to be frosted glass. If you are uncomfortable with your silhouette being seen by your "bestie," there is also a cloth drape that can be drawn across the opening between room and shower/commode areas. As another precaution, one can drape a pool towel over the glass door for a little more privacy. Plenty of families have been cruising on the EPIC for years and have found ways to make it work!!!

Do you need to bring big clips to clip the pool towels on the shower door?

The first time I sailed the Epic was with my wife and sister. The bathroom setup was somewhat of a pain and I spent a lot of time on the balcony while my sister got ready or had to use the facilities.

One night my sister had a gastric problem and it woke us all up out of a sound sleep. :o:o I vowed never to sail that ship after that cruise.

Guess what? Never say never. My wife and I have booked the November transatlantic. With the two of us there will be no issues with the bathroom configuration.

If you are with someone who you aren't completely comfortable with then I wouldn't choose these cabins.

Take care,

Mike

If you have a ‘busy’ stateroom with people coming and going I can see this been an issue (although you don’t see details just shadows...). When I cruise we only go back to the stateroom to shower for dinner or sleep so don’t spend much time there hence why it wasn’t ever an issue.

I sailed the Epic once, and heartily disliked the bathroom setup. You have to exit the shower directly in front of the stateroom door, which means if you want any privacy, everyone you are travelling with must decide before you shower if they are going to stay in or go out. The sink at the foot of the bed was just weird placement, and I did have one incident where I was in the toilet stall and the room steward came into the stateroom (he knocked, but did not hear my reply). If you are at all modest about your bathroom and showering habits, I would suggest another ship. Any other NCL ship, in fact, since the Epic room design was never repeated on NCL.

The design was not repeated because there was a dispute between NCL and the French ship builder during the construction of the Epic and additional orders were cancelled.

NCL went to the German ship yard for Breakaway and Breakaway Plus orders. And now the Italian ship yard for the Leonardo ship orders.

The design was not repeated because there was a dispute between NCL and the French ship builder during the construction of the Epic and additional orders were cancelled.

NCL went to the German ship yard for Breakaway and Breakaway Plus orders. And now the Italian ship yard for the Leonardo ship orders.

So, are you saying NCL would have built more ships with this bathroom design if not for the dispute? One would think NCL would have learned with the Epic.

I have not been on the Epic but find it very interesting. It seems strange that the bathroom is sort of in the cabin. I travel every year with my bestie. Does it seem strange with two women in the same cabin with that set up? I hesitate to book because it seems really odd to be on the toilet or in the shower that are not behind closed doors! Tell me it's really not that horrifying!

It's a terrible set up.

just found this thread. We haven't sailed Norwegian in years and I looked up this thread after comment about weird bathroom design while learning about the new Celebrity Edge ship. Sounds like many passengers are 'making it work'. To be honest for the money I spend on a cruise 'making it work' is unacceptable. Sending your spouse onto the balcony while you sit on the can... or saying hello to guy bringing room service while you are in the shower. jamming towels under the tracks during rough weather? Dealing with water on the cabin floor splashing out of the sink. Sorry no thanks. Too weird for me. Last Norwegian cruise were were on ... we both got norovirus and let me tell you... we had a junior suite and were able to place our very dirty laundry in a tub... and keep the door shut until next team with hazmat suits came to disinfect the room... I can not even imagine... well I guess I can and not a pleasant image. :|

I agree with you. I don't want to spend lots of money and have to make it work. That is why DH and I always choose ships with traditional bathrooms in the cabins.

I wonder if the crew cabins on the Epic have a similar set-up.