Empty water bottle in carryon

ddlb

At each of our ports during our Escape cruise, I saw half drunk bottles of water taken away by security. The passengers were told to drink it right there in front of them or throw away in the trash can.

Empty water bottles are fine. I always do this before flying so I don't have to pay $$$$$ in the airport.

Is there anything in writing - new - posted by NCL recently on this ??

Returning from a day in ports, ship security do screen for liquid & bottles, and, that's been the drill for a while with the new ban in place for taking bottled water & soda, etc.

We walked thru port security in NYC (run by local contractors, not ship security) boarding the BA in late October - had my stainless steel one in my bag, don't recall having issues or getting pulled.

Besides, at least in NYC - beyond security, there is the Pier Cafe !! Just don't like to use non-BPA free bottles, as we can source them onboard easily - in addition to the 2 comp'd bottles for Latitude/Platinum guests waiting in the stateroom on embarkation ... just not in a mood to wash, clean & re-use them again.

We were just on the Breakaway out of NYC a few weeks ago and I brought along my 24oz metal Contigo and two 12oz metal Contigos for my kids without issue. We also brought them on and off the ship at ports remembering to bring them back empty, and never were we bothered about them at all.

• 7 months later...
Any updates on this topic, is NCL now allowing (or is not allowing) to bring one single bottled water at embarkation and at each port of call? Thanks.

This is from NCL FAQs:

Can I bring water or soda on board?

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Why the change in policy?

The inspection of large volumes of beverages has an impact on the embarkation process and security resources. As one example, guests who attempt to smuggle alcoholic beverages onboard often try to do so in beverage containers. This means all beverages must be personally screened, taking both time and dedicated personnel.

This modified policy will now bring us in line with other travel industry procedures for transporting beverages and allow security personnel to focus on other screening efforts and not individually inspecting all beverages being brought onboard.

What if I purchase a beverage in a port of call?

Guests will not be permitted to bring any beverages onboard the ship in ports of call and any locally-purchased beverages will be disposed of prior to embarkation. No open containers of beverages, including water, will be allowed onboard during a port of call.

If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

What happens if I bring a case of water to the ship?

Guests who bring beverages to embarkation will be directed to return the items to their vehicle. If the guest does not have a vehicle onsite, the items will be disposed of.

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs, medical requirements, or families with infants who require water for formula or milk, should contact the access desk at accessdesk@ncl.com to verify if an exception can be made for their beverage and to obtain pre-approval to provide to security at embarkation.

Is the water onboard safe to drink?

All of our ships produce water in accordance with the guidelines and requirements as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Center for Environmental Health.

Can I still bring wine on board?

Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.

Why can I bring wine but not other beverages?

As very few guests bring wine onboard, the team is able to easily and quickly screen these items.

• Like 1

At each of our ports during our Escape cruise, I saw half drunk bottles of water taken away by security. The passengers were told to drink it right there in front of them or throw away in the trash can.

Empty water bottles are fine. I always do this before flying so I don't have to pay $$$$$ in the airport.

I would just pour out the water into the garbage can. So it makes a mess for the security people, they are making a mess of peoples vacation. Fair game.

Security is just following the protocol that NCL has put into place. Why make a mess for someone else to clean?

If they were focused on the "customer experience" and absolutely have to go through this nonsense, they should apologies, have a bucket at the ready to collect the water and then immediately off to go refill the bottle for me on the other side of the x-ray machine.

This has zero to do with security, this is simply a corporation going overboard as it tries to maximize profits.

If they were focused on the "customer experience" and absolutely have to go through this nonsense, they should apologies, have a bucket at the ready to collect the water and then immediately off to go refill the bottle for me on the other side of the x-ray machine.

This has zero to do with security, this is simply a corporation going overboard as it tries to maximize profits.

You should trash your stateroom when you dont get that mint on your pillow, too. That'll teach em!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 1/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, pizzalady1 said:

You are now allowed to bring ONE full or partial bottle of water aboard. This is at embarkation and at each port.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, pizzalady1 said:

You are now allowed to bring ONE full or partial bottle of water aboard. This is at embarkation and at each port.

Not in Europ 😡.  We bought two litre bottles of water to take on board Spirit in Barcelona three weeks ago.  We were told at the gangway that we could either drink them on the spot or they would be confiscated.  Where did you find the ruling on taking a bottle on at each port?  Water was $5.50 a bottle on board (plus 20%) or there were water packages.  We chose the 6 bottle package at $14.99 (plus 20%).  This lasted us the 10 day cruise.  They sold water at the gangway at each port disembarkation but you were not allowed to bring any back on!

On 1/9/2018 at 5:12 PM, WashyWashyHappyHappy95 said:

I don't think this is correct. You can't bring water on the ship at the embarkation port.

You can bring empty bottles.I do it all the time.

we recently boarded Getaway, and they didn't even notice or care about a half full bottle of Sprite. We kind of forgot about it, until we got to the cabin. It was in the outside pocket of a backpack, in plain view.

My mom brought an empty 16.9 fl oz water bottle with her, and nobody cared.

Then they didn't care about our kid's water bottle full of water - I usually fill and bring his water bottle off the ship at the ports of call, and empty it out before boarding. I forgot to empty it out, and nobody cared.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy