Adult pool 6'8" deep..WHY??

Rich_NY

Aside from the obvious "you make the adult pool deep so the children stay out of it", there is another side to look at.
Not true at all .... Even the kids pool on the Escape is almost 6 feet deep which is over 99% of kids heads. All pools including the kids pool on the MSC Seaside is 6'6" deep ..... It's not meant to keep kids out because it doesn't. It's to keep certain adults and certain activities under control and in check.

Is all it does is make it so everyone has to hang on to the edge of the pool. On the Gem - the entire perimeter of the pool was shoulder to shoulder people because no-one could stand in the center. Its a horrible design.
Do people not know how to simply tread water in the middle? Seems like most adults had no problem with this on MSC Seaside. I don't want a pool that barely covers my waist when I stand up in it.

Not sure if it was discussed...on the Escape the adult pool is 6'8" deep. That is the most ridiculous thing ever. People who want to cool off have to fight for a spot against the wall to hold onto the rail. Like its not already crowded enough!! Why not allow people to stand in The water to make it more accessible to more people?? JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!

What is it that you can't do in the 6'8" pool that you can do in shallower pools? I believe your issue is you can't stand in the pool.

IMO, I think it's a great idea to have a 6' 8" depth. Pools shouldn't be for standing, they should be for swimming. Get in, swim a bit, get out. That's what pools should be for. IMO.

What is it that you can't do in the 6'8" pool that you can do in shallower pools? I believe your issue is you can't stand in the pool.

IMO, I think it's a great idea to have a 6' 8" depth. Pools shouldn't be for standing, they should be for swimming. Get in, swim a bit, get out. That's what pools should be for. IMO.

Yup, and the ship even has a large grotto just for hanging out, standing/sitting, etc.

There's no single depth that would make everyone happy. Too shallow and people (thousands?) will stand in them all day. Too deep, and the non-swimmers will complain.

Even a tapered depth pool would cause problems because someone will "accidentally" slide into the deep end and complain that the drop-off was too sudden and that there weren't any warning signs.

Make them all 6'/2m if you ask me. I enjoyed having the middle of the pool pretty much to myself (except for the other swimmers/water treaders). Put the kids in floaties if needed and let them bob in the center while the statues huddle near the edge.

I recently got off a Carnival cruise, the pool on that ship was such that you could stand up in. There was a sign posted saying how many people were allowed in at a time, I think it was 24. One afternoon on a sea day I counted 55 way over the limit. The people were shoulder to sholder. The water looked like it was a urinal. Totaly disgusting. I think NCL is doing the right thing with the 6' 6" wayer depth.

I’m about to go on my 10th Cruise and I can honestly say Ihave never been in a pool on a cruise ship and only twice went in the hot tubs.Not saying I wouldn’t like to go in but crowding and the toilet thing keeps meout, and how good is the water in the hot tubs with 200 kids going in and outall day.

If I did go in deeper would be better, I love to swim aroundand tread water, and it would be fun to dive under a little.

I recently got off a Carnival cruise, the pool on that ship was such that you could stand up in. There was a sign posted saying how many people were allowed in at a time, I think it was 24. One afternoon on a sea day I counted 55 way over the limit. The people were shoulder to sholder. The water looked like it was a urinal. Totaly disgusting. I think NCL is doing the right thing with the 6' 6" wayer depth.
Yep! I can't believe any adult would want a pool that is 4 feet deep with 80 people standing in it for hours on end. I love this deep pool trend that has the drunk pool lingerers sinking to the bottom. Funny how quickly they get out when it;s over their head and stagger back to the bar, not to return .......

Here's my routine:

1. Lay in the lounger

2. Drink beer

3. Get hot

4. Walk to pool

5. Jump in the pool.

6. Get out of pool

7. Walk back to lounger

8. Repeat steps 1 thru 7

Yep..that's what I do. The pool is for "cooling off"...not really for swimming or lounging. I don't know why they are so deep...but perhaps it has to do with the weight of the water and swaying on a ship....????

On my cruise (8/12 Getaway), I didn't even observe that many people actually going in the pool. The majority hung around the shallow border area around the pool drinking. There were only a few people actually "inside" the pool at any given time, even in the middle of the hot afternoon sun on sea days.

I'm a good swimmer and treading water and floating in the saltwater pool takes almost no effort at all, so I like the deep pool.

On my cruise (8/12 Getaway), I didn't even observe that many people actually going in the pool. The majority hung around the shallow border area around the pool drinking. There were only a few people actually "inside" the pool at any given time, even in the middle of the hot afternoon sun on sea days.

I'm a good swimmer and treading water and floating in the saltwater pool takes almost no effort at all, so I like the deep pool.

Doesn't this explain exactly why they likely made it deeper? People were only congregated around the edges, the middle was still available for those that wanted to actually use the pool for cooling off.

Children who are not yet potty trained are not allowed in any ship pool, yet drunken adults can foul the water as well.

Let's clear this up. Without getting into the whole "urine is sterile" debate, urine is very readily sanitized in a pool by the chlorine, which is why it's there, and in higher concentrations than most home or public pools. The prohibition against non-potty trained kids being in the pool is not because of wetting, but fecal accidents. Fecal bacteria is harder to kill with chlorine (requires a higher concentration and a longer contact time) than anything in urine, which is why even when an adult has a fecal accident in a pool, it is drained and cleaned. This is why splash areas designed for non-potty trained kids have to have a higher turn-over rate (how many times the water is passed through the filters and chlorination equipment per hour), and an ultra-violet light sterilizer in addition to the chlorine.

Children who are not yet potty trained are not allowed in any ship pool, yet drunken adults can foul the water as well.

bSMZysHNwxY#

With children in diapers, feces is the danger. If anyone (child or adult) drops a deuce, the pool would need to be drained, cleaned, and filled (not easily done while docked in Bermuda, for ex)