Epic shower, toilet and sink

I have not been on the Epic but find it very interesting. It seems strange that the bathroom is sort of in the cabin. I travel every year with my bestie. Does it seem strange with two women in the same cabin with that set up? I hesitate to book because it seems really odd to be on the toilet or in the shower that are not behind closed doors! Tell me it's really not that horrifying!

I have not been on the Epic but find it very interesting. It seems strange that the bathroom is sort of in the cabin. I travel every year with my bestie. Does it seem strange with two women in the same cabin with that set up? I hesitate to book because it seems really odd to be on the toilet or in the shower that are not behind closed doors! Tell me it's really not that horrifying!

I'm not sure where you got the notion that the toilet and the shower "are not behind closed doors."

There are doors, which just happen to be frosted glass. If you are uncomfortable with your silhouette being seen by your "bestie," there is also a cloth drape that can be drawn across the opening between room and shower/commode areas. As another precaution, one can drape a pool towel over the glass door for a little more privacy. Plenty of families have been cruising on the EPIC for years and have found ways to make it work!!!

Edited by ggTexasGal
spelled shower incorrectly

I'm not sure where you got the notion that the toilet and the shower "are not behind closed doors."

There are doors, which just happen to be frosted glass. If you are uncomfortable with your silhouette being seen by your "bestie," there is also a cloth drape that can be drawn across the opening between room and shower/commode areas. As another precaution, one can drape a pool towel over the glass door for a little more privacy. Plenty of families have been cruising on the EPIC for years and have found ways to make it work!!!

I think you know what I meant... Specifically not a separate bathroom. I'm glad to know there is at least a drape and the pool towel is also a good idea.

I travelled with another middle-aged married straight man on the Epic. It didn't bother either of us.

There's a privacy curtain you can use to separate the bath/atrium area from the sleeping area.

It's still kind of a weird design, but not as bad as you'd think.

Thanks!

I was not a fan. As said above, the toilet and shower are behind their own doors - each to a seperate side - and the sink is kind of in the room. The problem is that if you come out of the shower and are behind the "modesty curtain" drying off after a shower, and the person you came with has gone out for a walk and then returns to the room; they come into the room right into your drying area, and you are exposed to them and the people in the hallway.

Also this floor area has a tendency to get wet from coming out of the shower and can be slippery. It's not the best set-up.

I will wager that on the four new ships that NCL has on order, this will not be the set-up.

I made it work when traveling with my sister. I don't care for the setup, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. We did have a balcony, which made it easy for the other person to go outside when the other was using the bathroom. I'd probably not want to deal with it without a balcony though.

We have sailed on the Epic 7 times and have no problem with it.

There is a privacy curtain between the bed and the toilet/shower to avoid the frosted glass prep show. It basically creates a “bathroom” when you close the curtain. Not a big deal.

People make a big deal about it, but we have been in many boutique hotels in the US and Europe with similar setups. No problem.

I will wager that on the four new ships that NCL has on order, this will not be the set-up.

It hasn’t been the set-up on the 5 ships that NCL have had built since the Epic, so I don’t think you are particularly going out on a limb with that prediction. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you are comfortable hearing each other making fart noises, you will be fine. The frosted glass and curtain offer some privacy, but they don't hide the sounds or smells.

Not really a true statement.....the toilet is enclosed in a little "room" of its own with a frosted glass door that one really can't see through well......so those 'sounds' and 'smells' would be no different on any other ship with the toilet enclosed in the bathroom. It is an 'odd' setup, but we got used to it. The worst part was the shower humidity coming into the room, as the drape afforded very little shield against it, and the ceramic bowl like small sink which was truly in the cabin and easily spilled/splashed water onto the floor in the cabin. Not our favorite set up at all, but the cabin itself was very nice and very large (we had a mini suite) with tons of storage space.

Not really a true statement.....the toilet is enclosed in a little "room" of its own with a frosted glass door that one really can't see through well......so those 'sounds' and 'smells' would be no different on any other ship with the toilet enclosed in the bathroom.

I've been there. It is not enclosed. While sitting on the toilet you can stick your hand through the sliding door to the outside. You can't do that in a regular cabin bathroom with a real door. Didn't bother us in the slightest, but the poster needs to know.

As long as you are comfortable hearing each other making fart noises, you will be fine. The frosted glass and curtain offer some privacy, but they don't hide the sounds or smells.

:eek: I'll do my duty when my friend is on the balcony. I also always bring bathroom spray!! :p

While the bathroom setup on the Epic didn't bother me, I have to agree the glass door on the toilet and shower are not just like having a regular bathroom door. There is no lock on them and they don't really close totally. Our toilet door also slid open a lot by itself, but we had rough seas and a very creaky cabin so this probably wouldn't happen all the time. You can hear any 'noises' more than you would from a regular bathroom.

We like the Epic and would sail her again, but just making sure you understand what the bathroom is really like. Personally the one thing I really liked about the design was having the sink in the main cabin, meaning I could brush my teeth or whatever while my husband was using the bathroom.

I'd pick another ship or cruise line but that's just me. I think it's awkward that even with the curtain if the door opens..hello there you are! I think there's plenty of other options but if not I'm sure you can make it work.

LrgPizza is 100% correct. The setup of the bathroom, if you can call it that, is horrible. That’s why it was never replicated on any other ship. Without raising your voice, you can sit on the toilet and have a clear conversation with someone sitting on the bed. That being said, unless you really need you “privacy”, it’s not a deal breaker for cruising on the Epic. I’ve cruised the Epic twice and have one more planned.

:eek: I'll do my duty when my friend is on the balcony. I also always bring bathroom spray!! :p

Even with "normal" cabin/bathroom setup on other ships, my wife usually sends me off to find a public bathroom if she is in the cabin. I'm sure this ship would be no different!

My sister and I cruised Epic this past March. The set up is strange but easy to overcome, especially with a balcony (and a little communication!).

We upgraded to a spa mini suite so we started splitting up when it was time to get ready for dinner. The spa thermal suite has larger showers and several bathroom stalls, and was very close to our room!

My biggest complaint about the bathroom is that the sliding doors don't lock. They started slamming in rough seas when we were trying to dock at GSC and again at Nassau. I'm sure we were quite the sight stumbling and hung over at 6am, trying to make it stop by cramming towels into the tracks.

• 2 months later...

You can also download the Fan app (free on I phones) and turn it on when you go into the bathroom, you can leave it on the sink unless you use your phone in the bathroom :)