Does NCL keep notes on guests?

ClarkBHM

The Ritz-Carlton is well known for taking extensive notes on their guests so that they can anticipate needs and generally provide an exceptional experience for their guests. Does anyone know whether NCL does the same thing? I would think that they could easily do this and would want to, especially for those passengers who are travelling in suites.

Some of the tin foil types here will tell you that they do but I doubt it. Too many passengers and too many risks if the information were to ever get out. Possible but doubtful.

If in a suite maybe your preference of Pillow Types and other items noted on the pre-cruise concierge letter ?

May have a note about any diet allergies (peanut) for other cabin categories ?

tin foil types - Hey I resemble that remark - but each poster here has some baggage to air ! LOL !

Some of the tin foil types here will tell you that they do but I doubt it. Too many passengers and too many risks if the information were to ever get out. Possible but doubtful.

OK - Have to ask... What is a "Tin Foil Type"? Is that like a conspiracy theorist?

I think regular cruisers who interact well with staff are remembered by individual staff members. We have been in cruises where staff have said we remember you from ............. and that was cruises 2 or 3 years previously.

That is one thing I think that NCL does well with their recruiting, they can teach the actual jobs but look for staff with certain attributes, one being the ability to recall cruisers both good and bad.

I think regular cruisers who interact well with staff are remembered by individual staff members. We have been in cruises where staff have said we remember you from ............. and that was cruises 2 or 3 years previously.

That is one thing I think that NCL does well with their recruiting, they can teach the actual jobs but look for staff with certain attributes, one being the ability to recall cruisers both good and bad.

I agree. It is so nice when someone remembers us as it is like coming home.

wow, second time we have agreed about something. ;p I don't think I would want anyone keeping notes on us. Not that they would be anything but favorable I hope, but it just isn't what I would be happy knowing. Now we have had many crew members remember us from past cruises but that is a little than actually keeping notes.

I have no doubt that they keep notes or flag records about disruptive passengers or people who do inappropriate things. I am sure these notes are kept shore side and can be used to deny booking if necessary.

I really think that the staff must get passenger photos before the cruise, especially if you've cruised before. We've had our room steward greet us by name on our way to our suite the first day. And this was a staff member we had never met before. I really don't know how they do it!

OK - Have to ask... What is a "Tin Foil Type"? Is that like a conspiracy theorist?

I think they meant "tin foil hat" type. Yes, conspiracy theorist. I prefer Mylar hats myself. A little more fashionable and they don't wrinkle as easily. :-)

i actually think they do. the super computer keeps all cruise history, and any issues are documented. So if you go in with, say, a complaint, they can surely look up your past cruises and see if there are any file notes to determine a complaint pattern. when we were on Dawn, we had a major issue all week long with our toilet. we got brought behind the customer service desk to one of hte offices and the officer in charge seemed to know everything in our history as well as what we had booked for upcoming cruises, etc. needless to say, we were well taken care of after taht meeting as it was clear that our issue was legit and we are not chronic complainers.

We took the Pearl to Alaska and then three years later out of New Orleans. A crew member who I had tipped three years earlier (and it was only $5) that helped carry my carry on for me in Alaska instantly recognized me and said hello. I doubt if he had access to any type of records. It was at embarkation. A nice feeling to be greeted.

I think none of us would have the worst notes, I have seen some behavior strange behavior on cruises from even those in the most expensive cabins (there was a woman”who was in the Haven with us last year who refused to go to the drill day 1 because her sons wanted an ice cream - we still call her “that ice cream lady”).

Reading these posts I also thought that the notes would vary w us depending on the person - On our last cruise, we had a horrible Butler who was worse than no help. He got zero $ from us. However the night Butler got a very handsome tip and the room steward, a very friendly young man, got an extra large tip also. As for the concierge on that ship... we follow each other on Instagram :D

* for the record, not tin nor red baseball hatted.

I don't think a mass market cruise company is keeping records beyond booking history, amount spent on board (and on what), and booked activities. This is normal customer activity that any company would track, nothing "above or beyond." On this past cruise, we ate at LeBistro and Cagney's. It's not like they said "This is your 8th time visiting LeBistro, thanks for dining with us", or anything like that. If they were using data to personalize experiences and service, those are the kinds of areas where they could/would do it.

We've had our room steward greet us by name on our way to our suite the first day. And this was a staff member we had never met before. I really don't know how they do it!

I'm with you. They never cease to amaze me when they can already know your name as you first enter your room. Each week a whole new group of guests for each cabin steward to know. Very impressive. Must be taught some technique. I have trouble remembering my neighbor that I've know for years.

The Ritz-Carlton is well known for taking extensive notes on their guests so that they can anticipate needs and generally provide an exceptional experience for their guests. Does anyone know whether NCL does the same thing? I would think that they could easily do this and would want to, especially for those passengers who are travelling in suites.

How many people sail each week? They could care less, with that said I'm sure they have notes or files for people they don't ever want back. Drunks, people causing fights etc....

Of course they do. The question is what do they use the data for?

The capability is certainly there. They scan your card constantly, so they know all of your preferences including the drinks you purchase (even if you have the package), dining preferences, other onboard purchases, etc.

I imagine that they would use it to tailor marketing promotions or to enhance your individual experience.

They probably use the data collectively to make assess customer preferences to know what offerings are popular and which are not. It can also help to streamline operations like procurement.

I don't know if they share the data with others. I'm sure that you can find out in the fine print of the cruise contract.

I will say this. NCL sends far less promotional emails than some other lines.

Edited by davy jones

The capability is certainly there. They scan your card constantly, so they know all of your preferences including the drinks you purchase (even if you have the package), dining preferences, other onboard purchases, etc.

I imagine that they would use it to tailor marketing promotions or to enhance your individual experience.

They probably use the data collectively to make assess customer preferences to know what offerings are popular and which are not. It can also help to streamline operations like procurement.

I don't know if they share the data with others. I'm sure that you can find out in the fine print of the cruise contract.

Exactly, there system have Customer Relationship Management (CRM) functions. There is lots of data that is captured about any given customer. From interaction with the call center, special dietary requirement that are add to the booking etc.

The issue is how the data is used. I don't think the front line staff have the time or access to these computer system to make effective use of this information.

Increasingly companies are trying to find ways of using automation to make use of this information. That the best that can be expect on a mass market product such as an NCL cruse.

I'm with you. They never cease to amaze me when they can already know your name as you first enter your room. Each week a whole new group of guests for each cabin steward to know. Very impressive. Must be taught some technique. I have trouble remembering my neighbor that I've know for years.

It actually very simple. The cabin stewards are assigned certain cabins and given a list of the people who are in those cabins.

• Like 1

No idea about data used for positive purposes, but...

I was chatting with a bartender on a cruise last April and he showed me on their computer that some passengers did have notes about them that came up when he ran thier cards. He indicated that he could enter info about guests and other bartenders could see that. So there was a way to "flag" difficult/problem guests on that ship. He didn't mention if that data was saved forever or if it was for just that cruise.

Over 20+ cruises we've had some interesting encounters and I hope that the cruise line logs certain data. We had a super drunk guy assault one person in our party on a Hawaii cruise. That resulted in a bunch of us visiting security to give statements (he was arrested at the final port). We had a creepy senior citizen in a motor scooter harrassing some of our wives on one cruise. It was "cute" at first but when he started rolling up behind them with his camera it became much less cute. We had to talk to security about the old perv and he never bothered us again. Now I wonder what data they have on me;p

Count yourself lucky - I get the daily Princess, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity emails. Same old repeat. However, when our NCL cruise was delayed one day NCL never sent an email to us.

It actually very simple. The cabin stewards are assigned certain cabins and given a list of the people who are in those cabins.

Well yes, I could understand it if we were coming out of our cabin or if he had seen us come out or go into our cabin. But even so, to memorize the name of all your guests each week is pretty amazing (at least to me!). However this last time we were walking down the hallway to our cabin for the first time and our steward greeted us by name!