South Pacific Aranui 3-new reviews?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim

Sorry for the delay in replying but we had grandchildren visiting and they kept me very busy

We leave soon.

Don't remember exactly which cabin but it is a standard cabin on the main deck.

As we start to pack, I was wondering if anyone "dresses" for dinner. We sailed on two Blount ships a while back and dressing for dinner meant a shower and clean t-shirt :)

I'm wondering if it is pretty much the same on the Aranui or should plan on something more. We usually travel with only carry ons and not having to take more than the t's and shorts would be great.

Diane

Hi Diane:

Meal times on the Aranui are a carbon copy of what you did on the Blount cruise.

EVERYTHING is super casual and relaxed.

As to meals: At breakfast if you would like an omlette, which aren't on the buffet, just ask your waiter and they will prepare it in the kitchen.

The crew really does bend over backwards to make your trip the best it can be.

Have a great time.

Jim

Diane:

Just another couple comments about how casual things are on the Aranui.

I think the only crew that wears uniforms are the people in the Reception area.

The Captain is usually in shorts and t-shirt.

The crew also forms an impromptu "jug-band" and plays in the bar at night.

Wish I was back on board.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Diane:

When are you leaving again?

I think the tipping is a voluntary thing done at the end of the cruise.

If memory serves me right.

Like a tip-jar at the reception desk upon leaving.

However, know that in FP, tipping is not something that is expected.

As to spending in Papeete, I used either a credit card or francs I obtained via an ATM.

Didn't really see anything related to Euros.

They'd probably be as desired as Pesos or Hong Kong Dollars. <G>

I leave in the morning for South Africa for 3 weeks so have fun on the Aranui.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Is anybody else going on the Nov. 23, 2013 cruise?

We are leaving in about 3 weeks and haven't received our info packet yet. Not being cruisers, except the Hurtigruten in Norway (another freighter cruise), maybe somone can answer a few questions:

Do you bring your own soap, shampoo, towels?

Are you allowed to bring a bottle of liqour?

Is your room/suite made up daily?

Sorry for the trivial ?, I'm trying to pack only necessities.

Thanks to all who have written here, it has answered most of my questions.

I'm sooooo looking forward to this trip of a lifetime!!!

Rooty

Do you bring your own soap, shampoo, towels?

No, all that is provided, including towels to be used at the pool or the beach.

Are you allowed to bring a bottle of liqour?

I'm trying to remember but I don't think it was an issue. However, alcohol is very expensive in Tahiti judging by the prices of the wine we saw in the supermarket. So, if you are checking luggage, you may want to bring something from home.

Is your room/suite made up daily?

Yes, once in the morning.

I have started a thread with my trip report, having returned Oct 7. Not finished yet but hopefully it will help you out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1925627

• 7 months later...

A Disaster Cruise with the Aranui 3.

Our Dutch travel agency All Over Tours recommended this ship. But why?

Food was bad most of the time. Bread at breakfast was unedible, even when toasted. Even the water stinks and tasted like that. Rice cooked in this water? brrrrrr.................

Most people from the big group French passengers don't understand English. The result is two groups of passengers who live apart and don't like eachother to say the least....

All explanations in three languages which results in much waiting.

A very unfriendly crew, not flexible at all and to many of them are rude. They don't know the word "service" and are not interested if the passengers like their vacation.

Lectures in hard to understand English , German and French.

The English speaking guide often forgets important issues. The following day you hear them (too late) from German or French passengers..

The itinerary was systematically changed. (All Over Tours did not know).

One of the two ideal snorkel opportunities was skipped, because it toook a little more fuel to keep this Island in the schedule. It's all about the money!

The ship almost never was in time. For that reason no opportunity two have a private snorkel tour at the second snorkel Island. Disgusting!

The ship stinks (engine). At the aft deck your clothes get black spots from the funnel (soot). Nowhere inside the ship fresh air. It stinks everywhere.

Many locals on board, sleeping at the aftdeck and in rooms that should be used for cargo. Would we all fit in the (never tested) lifeboats?

Apart from the beautiful destinations a vacation to forget as soon as possible.

Sailed on ARANUI III ex Papeete June, 2014 . One needs to realize this is a unique travel experience. If you expect the standards of an ocean cruise line then ARANUI III is not for you . If you are happy with a unique travel experience around a supply vessel/freighter to a remote South Pacific paradise then ARANUI III is ideal.

The vessel is primarily a freighter with 150 passenger berths, with arrival and departure times somewhat flexible depending on local sea conditions, and time required to load/unload freight .

Passenger accommodation is offered in dormitories, cabins ,de luxe cabins and suites with mini verandahs . All accommodations are well maintained. Free laundry service 3 times during 13 night trip. On board pool, lounge, bar and restaurant. Free tea and coffee 24 hours. Buffet breakfast, 3 course lunch & dinner served with complimentary wine. Cuisine light healthy with a French flair . Lots local fruits and fresh seafoods. Overall standard , Bistro / Trattoria .

On board lecturers re area. Excellent inclusive shore excursions and local entertainers . Cheerful laid back crew .

No stabilizers but ship rides swell very well . Moves more on return leg as ship is more lightly loaded .

The scenery in the Marquesas , just stunning a tropical paradise .

Worth doing YES for the stunning scenery and for the unique experience half way between a traditional passenger cruise and a true freighter. Just dont expect Queen Mary II standards, and be prepared to be flexible with changes to the set itinerary as the trip goes along .

Months to avoid November to March inclusive (the Wet season).

ARANUI V will replace ARANUI III from June 2015 with a slightly larger passenger capacity

Edited by kuldalai

Sailed on ARANUI III ex Papeete June, 2014 . One needs to realize this is a unique travel experience. If you expect the standards of an ocean cruise line then ARANUI III is not for you . If you are happy with a unique travel experience around a supply vessel/freighter to a remote South Pacific paradise then ARANUI III is ideal.

The vessel is primarily a freighter with 150 passenger berths, with arrival and departure times somewhat flexible depending on local sea conditions, and time required to load/unload freight .

Passenger accommodation is offered in dormitories, cabins ,de luxe cabins and suites with mini verandahs . All accommodations are well maintained. Free laundry service 3 times during 13 night trip. On board pool, lounge, bar and restaurant. Free tea and coffee 24 hours. Buffet breakfast, 3 course lunch & dinner served with complimentary wine. Cuisine light healthy with a French flair . Lots local fruits and fresh seafoods. Overall standard , Bistro / Trattoria .

On board lecturers re area. Excellent inclusive shore excursions and local entertainers . Cheerful laid back crew .

No stabilizers but ship rides swell very well . Moves more on return leg as ship is more lightly loaded .

The scenery in the Marquesas , just stunning a tropical paradise .

Worth doing YES for the stunning scenery and for the unique experience half way between a traditional passenger cruise and a true freighter. Just dont expect Queen Mary II standards, and be prepared to be flexible with changes to the set itinerary as the trip goes along .

Months to avoid November to March inclusive (the Wet season).

ARANUI V will replace ARANUI III from June 2015 with a slightly larger passenger capacity

Exactly!!

• 2 months later...

I have been on the Aranui 3 and enjoyed it immensely.

Here are links to the stories I wrote about my experiences during the cruise. Lots of photos and information. Enjoy.

I look forward to doing the trip again once the Aranui 5 launches next year.

Part One French Polynesian Adventure - Freighter Cruise from Tahiti to the Marquesas Islands

Part Two French Polynesian Adventure - Freighter Cruise from Tahiti to the Marquesas Islands

Part Three French Polynesian Adventure - Freighter Cruise from Tahiti to the Marquesas Islands

• 1 month later...

We just returned from Voyage 13 and highly recommend the Aranui. We booked a standard cabin on the Main Deck almost 2 years in advance and were very happy with our location and the cabin's amenities. The crew was really exceptional, and saw to the passengers every needs. We enjoyed all of the islands and the wonderful shore excursions, and loved the whole process of going ashore on the barges. The seamen do a fantastic job of seeing to everyone's safety. I would not recommend this to anyone with a serious mobility problems as it's necessary to be able to go up and down a flight of stairs unassisted by anything other than railing on both sides. Some of the shore excursions require a fair amount of walking too. We thought the food was delicious, although breakfast got a little monotonous. We certainly had more than enough to eat.

My husband really enjoyed the fishing charter and the chance to fish a couple of nights off the boat's back fishing platform. I joined the ukelele band, and had a blast! We also very much enjoyed the crew's Aranui Band that played some evenings in the bar.

I would advise carrying a pretty full medicine chest with cough, cold, and flu type remedies. We had, what seemed to me, to be a pretty high incidence of viral infections that began a few days into the trip. While the ship's doctor can provide some things, I wished that I had brought a good cough syrup, antihistamines, etc. in addition to the antibiotics that I did carry.

Something else I would do differently is to book the late rather than the early dinner seating. It's only a half hour difference, but the early seating was a little rushed for those attending one of the daily briefings. Cash was no problem. There were ATM's on some of the islands, plus the Aranui was great about money exchange. Laundry was done 3 times during the visit, in fact we got an extra load done due to my husbands smelly fish clothes.

You can really tell that the crew people are happy on the Aranui. No request is too big for them. Their hearts are always wide open to each and every passenger. You can ask anyone for help, and never get passed along. To me, this is the mark of a really successful operation. It was sad to say goodbye to these wonderful people. I'd be glad to answer anyone's specific questions - just send me a PM.

• 1 year later...