Hooray ! Splendour is Going

• 4 months later...

Would've loved to have a had a 2nd Vision Class ship out of Baltimore. Because of bridge heights, we seem limited to just Vision Class. If we could've had Splendour, perhaps there could've been more options. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tthe narrow Norwegian fjords cannot be visited by the mega liners, Kiel canal (hope that RCCL comes back to Hamburg to challange MSC, Costa, Aida etc) only for smaller ships; and the list goes on. Those who think the big and mighty ships are the yard stick, certainly do not care about exotic itineraries and a more "intimate" travel, but are fine with a Caribbean pier that accomodates 5000 pax.

I like all sizes up to Quantum class. Nuff said, waiting for my 30 days on Splendour in Nov/Dec......

Not so,

We have been down the Fjords on both Independence and Adventure

Not true, two Celebrity S Class ships and P&O Ventura same day

DSC09960_zpsc9f5cbd8.jpg

DSC09964_zps55d1f77a.jpg

I understand the larger ships have been banned from venice, We visited last on Equinox, 2 years ago.

But non of the ships of this class are going to Venice any more :(

Two days into the cruise. There had been a lot of mentioning of this being a special cruise but nothing done so far. Staff probably more touched by this voyage than the guests. Around 1700 guests on board and as you can expect on a repositioning cruise very sedate. So far no shortage of anything and crew is doing great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I understand the larger ships have been banned from venice, We visited last on Equinox, 2 years ago.

But non of the ships of this class are going to Venice any more :(

Interesting... looking a cruisett for 2016 and looks like nothing bigger than Radiance Class (Brilliance) is going into Venice this year. I didn't know they had the enacted that law which was being discussed... I believe ships less than 95,000 tons if I remember right??

Video of the make over of Splendour.

Excellent time lapse video!!!!! thx for sharing :)

I LOVE the big ships and have been on all except Harmony. DH is more for the smaller ships, so we do both!

We have been sailing so long that I wonder if you remember the Big Red Boat? Boy we sure had fun on that one and when Sovereign came along we could not believe how huge it was.

In all honesty, we did not care for Quantum, but again, that was our feeling. I sure hope Royal maintains all types of ships for all the different clients.

We do other lines as well, but have found Royal to be the better priced ship with similar amenities as some of the other lines for cruising from Florida.

V

This! If I'm on a cruise, I want to know I'm on a ship. If I want a resort, I'll keep my feet on dry ground. I don't get this "it's a ship but you don't feel like you're on one" mentality - THEN DON'T GO ON A SHIP! There are plenty of non-ship places to vacation. Quit ruining cruising for the rest of us with these monstrosities.

How are the bigger sized ships ruining cruising for anyone?

Totally agree. We don't like the "bigger" ships at all - too many people and the ships are way too big. We won't even waste our time trying one. We've been so happy with the "smaller" ships! :D

If you haven't yet tried one, don't knock the bigger ships! you actually have nothing to base your criticism on.

I enjoyed Oasis and we have booked Harmony for this fall we are looking forward to it--but most of the time I prefer the smaller ships and I was sad to see Legend go and am sad to see Splendour go now.

What I like best is a variety of ships with a variety of price points and itinerary types--but all with the same brands where I know how they work and what level of food/service to expect.

(though I am not totally adverse to trying new brands either--in fact we have two cruises already booked on a line we've never sailed, both for later this year)